advertisement

England cricket - winter 2019/20

Root is still in the top five in the world in overall quality.

EDIT: Root's average has just dropped enough that Sir Geoffrey is now (using the only measure that counts) the greatest living Englishman.

Boycott, Root, Pietersen, Amiss, Cook, Thorpe, Gower.

Another spectacular collapse, should have made an easy 400, but instead have given NZ a sniff. Looks like they missed Woakes...

Last edited:
Root is still in the top five in the world in overall quality.

EDIT: Root's average has just dropped enough that Sir Geoffrey is now (using the only measure that counts) the greatest living Englishman.

Boycott, Root, Pietersen, Amiss, Cook, Thorpe, Gower.

Have you deducted the appropriate penalty points from Boycott and Pietersen for being twats ?

We have been listening at various times through the night but last night just slept through - how lucky was that?......

Well I didn't appreciate that they would be that bad, and on the flatest wicket that they're likely to have ever played on. Root has to stand down for the sake of his own batting before he loses the lot. His handling of the bowlers was awful throughout this test, and you can see the mental aguish written all over his face. I guess that means Buttler should step in - far from ideal but he's the only leader in the side. The only alternative would be to bring in an experienced Captain from the counties I suppose.

You're a great captain as long as your bowlers can get 20 wickets.
On a flat pitch without a Dukes ball, the English bowlers were not good enough.
In saying that, Root didn't seem to use them very well.

That's true of course, but you have to be able to manage and motivate the side in sub-optimal circumstances too. The batsmen simply didn't score enough in the first innings, that being said, the game shouldn't have been lost from that position. They don't seem to have the character to bat out a draw and they can't expect Stokes to keep pulling rabbits out of the hat. I'm sure they will take a stronger side to SA but now feels like a good time to me to ask Root to concentrate on his own form.

It's not just Root, Stokes is the only one that seems to be able to bat, the rest of the batting line up is either good or fails badly.

Similar to the bowling they either are good or cannot get wickets.

Compare that to Morgans side One Day and T20 sides, they usually bat well and bowl well, so maybe there is some truth in the fact that England have not mastered the skills to play test cricket and until they combine the whole team together like Morgan has then the England test team will be a hit or a miss.

Root does not seem to come up with good bowling plans , New zealand had bowlers bowling wicket taking lines not loads of bouncers like England .
Surely it is not rocket science , batsmen A is poor at shot b so keep bowling at his weak area and you get him out !

Root does not seem to come up with good bowling plans , New zealand had bowlers bowling wicket taking lines not loads of bouncers like England .
Surely it is not rocket science , batsmen A is poor at shot b so keep bowling at his weak area and you get him out !

To be fair the bowling plans are probably coming from the coaches, but he's certainly having problems communicating with Archer, for example. He's also only averaging 27 or something this calendar year and that's a bigger problem, if he was scoring big hundreds none of the other stuf would matter so much

What's the ball they're using?

advertisement

Back