advertisement

England cricket - winter 2019/20

I would say the selectors are in the mood for change judging by the squad.

I agree they need to use the opportunities afforded by these two tours for the newbies to get Southern Hemisphere experience ahead of Ashes 2021/2.

SA are going through some changes too.

Ray

I would say the selectors are in the mood for change judging by the squad.

I agree they need to use the opportunities afforded by these two tours for the newbies to get Southern Hemisphere experience ahead of Ashes 2021/2.

SA are going through some changes too.

Ray

It's also a Tour that doesn't count towards the World Test thing so they'll be experimenting too

Definitely some experimental changes. Nice to see.

Bairstow is class. He'll be back. Sibley should have been playing in The Ashes.

I wonder if Roy was about to leave and just play in the T20 competitions around the world and putting him in the Test team was to try and keep him in the England fold? I can't think of any other reason he was in the test team. Anyway, gone now and it looks like they might actually have enough batsmen in the squad to pick five proper batsmen for once!

Burns, Sibley, Denly, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler, Woakes, Broad, Archer, Leach - - 20th November pick.

PS Anyone else notice that the T20s are at the really nice grounds an good cities - and the two tests are both in medium sized towns almost right next to each other? Weird?

It is a place I’d love to go to. Take in a couple of days test cricket whilst seeing NZ would be quite nice...

They need to try some new players so not a bad idea to rest Bairstow and I am sure he will be back in the future

It is a place I’d love to go to. Take in a couple of days test cricket whilst seeing NZ would be quite nice...

Indeed. Never been to NZ and would love to go there but have been to Newlands for a CapeTown test and might be there again next Jan. Such a lovely ground.

We will be in SA in Jan for sure so it just depends on timing/ schedule.

Lucky you. One of my outlaws was there when Stokes smashed out of the ground. His wife went shopping whilst he watched all 5 days for about 30 quid.

Tickets for Day 1 and 3 secured for the Trent Bridge Test V Pakistan August 2020. MJW from these parts tagging along on day 3...

Now for a couple of one day games and I'm sorted...

Wonder what has happened to Roots batting, last couple of years he has been struggling.

Maybe as has been suggested in other threads time to give up being captain, but who would take over, maybe he should start to bat lower, say 6 or 7 and place more of his time on being the captain.

Cook seemed to be the one that still maintained his batting while being the captain.

I would suggest England test team need a possible new captain or Root being told to only be the captain and not try and be the number 4 batsman, stop changing the team and be someone like Morgan that builds the team over a few seasons.

Give Root time. He will come good. He's too good a quality player to be sidelined for long.

A year ago it was just me, now it's most of the cricket journos discussing the subject. Nasser was saying on The Verdict today that for the the last couple of years he seems to have had the world on his shoulders, instead of being the cheeky chappie that lives for the game

Root’s problem has been batting at 3 without any openers guaranteed to see off the early pace bowling. So effectively opening, when he’s really a number 4.
This theory of course fails completely after last night’s performance. But i reckon he’ll come good.

advertisement

Back