advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

@ABCaudio Hi Alan, in anticipation of receiving, could you let me know who is next on the list just so i can make contact as n when im ready to dispatch.

or am i last on the list and the lucky one to keep them FOC, oh :(

First impressions can be useful, but I thought it might be worth spending some quality time with these cables before committing my thoughts to writing, and I think I was right.

First, the systems the cable was introduced to -

First System (upstairs): Rega Isis Valve CD player; Sim Audio Moon 380D Steamer/DAC; Avondale Grad1/TPX2, Voyager 300 monoblocks; Duevel Jupiter speakers. Existing speaker cable Avondale Black Link.

Second System (downstairs): Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 integrated amp/streamer; Shahinian Obelisk 2 speakers. Existing speaker cable Avondale Black Link.

First impressions in both systems were good, but perhaps the bass was a bit much – deep and punchy but a bit overwhelming. Also both systems seemed to need a couple of notches more on the volume control than previously to give their best.

After further listening to the upstairs system it was obvious that any slight adverse first impressions were due to the fact that, as so many others here have said here, there was just more of everything. The bass was in fact deep, detailed and tuneful, and it was pin point clear where it was coming from in the mix/soundstage. The soundstage itself was not noticeably wider but much deeper (almost holographic), with more detail and more stable so that individual instruments and parts could be easily followed, particularly enjoyable with classical music.

Moving to the downstairs system, the Obelisks just loved this cable! Upgrading to a more powerful amplifier with Obelisks transforms what they are capable of, and this cable had a similar effect. Everything as for the upstairs system but more, with a huge 3D soundstage and amazing detail and dynamics.

For both systems it became clear that the volume issue was not that the cable was demanding more but that it was comfortable with more because of what there was less (not more) of – glare. I seem to be sensitive to glare, and particularly with female vocal recordings, and happily there was none at any volume that I could comfortably live with, and I found myself living with some much higher volumes!

Too much music played over a few days to list, but a few highlights for me – Laura Marling with just an acoustic guitar, great guitar player and a whole additional line going on underneath that I had never heard before; Jose James “Trouble”, astonishing drum part and the drummer right there in the room with me; Cowboy Junkies “Sweet Jane” from Trinity Revisited (thanks to my predecessor here for this), a cacophony of noise that suddenly made complete sense. Also, I’m surprised that nobody here has reported previously how good classical music sounds with this cable. From large scale orchestral through choral, chamber music to ambient.

Will I be ordering some – at least one set for upstairs, and maybe if I can find a way of making it invisible, one for downstairs as well.

Thanks to @CJ14 and @ABCaudio for this initiative, a brilliant idea and I hope it has worked as well for them as it has for us lucky users.

The variety of equipment owned by people on this thread is astonishing. Stuff I've never heard of has been mentioned from the start.

I'll fill the void by reporting that my new LS-80 cables are settling in nicely and sound great on the end of my 500 series Naim kit. Definitely a step up from the LS-25! My apologies go to Alan for forcing him to squeeze the cable into a set of Naim speaker plugs, and dealing with the oddities of the Naim terminals.
Hi Gavin,

I'm so glad they are in and performing for you, I bet that's a seriously nice sounding system!

Those Naim plugs are certainly tricky with LS-80, but Colin and I are working on a way to have more flexible tails in future as standard.

First impressions can be useful, but I thought it might be worth spending some quality time with these cables before committing my thoughts to writing, and I think I was right.

First, the systems the cable was introduced to -

First System (upstairs): Rega Isis Valve CD player; Sim Audio Moon 380D Steamer/DAC; Avondale Grad1/TPX2, Voyager 300 monoblocks; Duevel Jupiter speakers. Existing speaker cable Avondale Black Link.

Second System (downstairs): Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 integrated amp/streamer; Shahinian Obelisk 2 speakers. Existing speaker cable Avondale Black Link.

First impressions in both systems were good, but perhaps the bass was a bit much – deep and punchy but a bit overwhelming. Also both systems seemed to need a couple of notches more on the volume control than previously to give their best.

After further listening to the upstairs system it was obvious that any slight adverse first impressions were due to the fact that, as so many others here have said here, there was just more of everything. The bass was in fact deep, detailed and tuneful, and it was pin point clear where it was coming from in the mix/soundstage. The soundstage itself was not noticeably wider but much deeper (almost holographic), with more detail and more stable so that individual instruments and parts could be easily followed, particularly enjoyable with classical music.

Moving to the downstairs system, the Obelisks just loved this cable! Upgrading to a more powerful amplifier with Obelisks transforms what they are capable of, and this cable had a similar effect. Everything as for the upstairs system but more, with a huge 3D soundstage and amazing detail and dynamics.

For both systems it became clear that the volume issue was not that the cable was demanding more but that it was comfortable with more because of what there was less (not more) of – glare. I seem to be sensitive to glare, and particularly with female vocal recordings, and happily there was none at any volume that I could comfortably live with, and I found myself living with some much higher volumes!

Too much music played over a few days to list, but a few highlights for me – Laura Marling with just an acoustic guitar, great guitar player and a whole additional line going on underneath that I had never heard before; Jose James “Trouble”, astonishing drum part and the drummer right there in the room with me; Cowboy Junkies “Sweet Jane” from Trinity Revisited (thanks to my predecessor here for this), a cacophony of noise that suddenly made complete sense. Also, I’m surprised that nobody here has reported previously how good classical music sounds with this cable. From large scale orchestral through choral, chamber music to ambient.

Will I be ordering some – at least one set for upstairs, and maybe if I can find a way of making it invisible, one for downstairs as well.

Thanks to @CJ14 and @ABCaudio for this initiative, a brilliant idea and I hope it has worked as well for them as it has for us lucky users.

That was such a lovely write up, thank you so much for your effort! I'm really chuffed every time this happens, Colin's design is so special. People think cables should not/cannot make a difference once they are adequately specified, but this project suggests otherwise.

I hope whoever has them next also enjoys them!

About a month ago I purchased EWA LS 40 cable from ABC Audio, replacing off the reel Naim cable for system comprising of Naim Nait, CD5 player and PMC Twenty5.24. Alan at ABC Audio said if I didn’t like the LS 40’s I could send back. Well, its over a month and I still have them. Why?

What struck me most about changing to LS 40’s is the power, and by that I mean I just don’t need it. My Nait no longer has to work so hard. I no longer dial up the volume to hear the detail I yearn for and only get with volume, at the expense of balance. Those exquisite sounds…in-take of breath, a distant hand clap, a faint whistle on a live album you know are there but have never quite fully been aware of. The pitch of an e string lasting out at a frequently we mostly lose the ability to hear beyond youth being brought back somehow. Then there’s bass, gently delivered and smooth, felt but without need to raise volume. I like bass and to get my fix it would dial up to the point of an uncomfortable boom and ricocheting sound mash. My room is not ideal. The LS 40’s have brought an equilibrium that I have not found before. To hear tiny nuances with satisfying bass without volume within a balanced sound scape is something quite special and have been surprised to have found this from a bit of wire. Which is why I’m keeping it. I hadn’t anticipated the liveness sound. Music is in the room more and more present…front of stage. Listening doesn’t get tiring like it used to because I can listen to what I need to without volume and effort. Thanks ABC Audio for the opportunity to try out the cable, which I won’t be returning.

About a month ago I purchased EWA LS 40 cable from ABC Audio, replacing off the reel Naim cable for system comprising of Naim Nait, CD5 player and PMC Twenty5.24. Alan at ABC Audio said if I didn’t like the LS 40’s I could send back. Well, its over a month and I still have them. Why?

What struck me most about changing to LS 40’s is the power, and by that I mean I just don’t need it. My Nait no longer has to work so hard. I no longer dial up the volume to hear the detail I yearn for and only get with volume, at the expense of balance. Those exquisite sounds…in-take of breath, a distant hand clap, a faint whistle on a live album you know are there but have never quite fully been aware of. The pitch of an e string lasting out at a frequently we mostly lose the ability to hear beyond youth being brought back somehow. Then there’s bass, gently delivered and smooth, felt but without need to raise volume. I like bass and to get my fix it would dial up to the point of an uncomfortable boom and ricocheting sound mash. My room is not ideal. The LS 40’s have brought an equilibrium that I have not found before. To hear tiny nuances with satisfying bass without volume within a balanced sound scape is something quite special and have been surprised to have found this from a bit of wire. Which is why I’m keeping it. I hadn’t anticipated the liveness sound. Music is in the room more and more present…front of stage. Listening doesn’t get tiring like it used to because I can listen to what I need to without volume and effort. Thanks ABC Audio for the opportunity to try out the cable, which I won’t be returning.
What an excellent write up 3 sticks.

@3 sticks , thank you for a great write up. Speaking personally, Colin and I love to hear feedback and that the cables are really working in someone's system.

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all enjoying the sun this week!:)

If anyone wants to hear LS-40, please make yourselves known and we will arrange that for you. Otherwise, it looks like the tour has played it's final date!

The other gear is all ready to go, but I'm away this week. Next week we will work up a demo list for amplifiers (integrated and power), LS-80, IC-25 interconnects, MCS-5 shielded power cable and - heaven forfend - EWA shielded USB!

Ah go on, I've been resisting as I wasn't planning on buying new cables, but I think with all the praise I should definitely experience the Wonfors!

Two further stops on the LS-40 tour: Flutteringwow and Ian G.

@Cappuccino , would you mind contacting @flutteringwow to get the shipping details? Then perhaps send the cables there next week. Then when each has finished with them, after a week or so, simply post them on to the next person.

17 February 2021 Edit:

Ze List:

@Amber Audio
@Cereal Killer
@Yivez
@Dan K
@Muttley2
@Chris Tarling
@Bettisdad
@OldSkool
@Discopants
@Rajive Aggarwal
@justpassing
@Cappuccino
@flutteringwow
@Ian G

A few dropped out over the holidays and have been reinserted above, along with new faces and procrastinators. ;)

This trial/tour thingy is open to all, no need to have anything more than a passing interest in hifi and love for music. So long as you are an upstanding member of pfm (assuming we have such people)...

Simple rules:

1. Don't pinch the cable.

2. Be honest: post impressions/reviews (I would love to use some on https://ABCaudio.biz eventually). And don't pinch the cable.

3. Cover postage costs, preferably tracked. I can help with this if asked (UPS - usually a tenner or so).

4. Don't pinch the cable.

advertisement

Back