advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

Colin/ Alan What is happening with the amp tour have asked several times but not heard back.

Sorry but it is in lock down it can't leave my home, no joking aside it has been crazy here and Alan is very busy, I have to design 3 PSU,s and 4 new amp/pre-amps. ( I love it as I hate housework and shopping shh do not tell the boss)
Also watch out for new super integrated amp coming soon.

“More of everything” was just what I said when my friend and I compared the LS25s to the LS80s on his Scintillas.

Hey Col, I might try the wet string in my fuses first ;)

The string has to be made from Egyptian Mummy Wrapping to get the true sprit of the sound. So bye bye Tut. Oh while you un wrap him, do not leave the gold I want to make a all Gold W.B. :)

Ok thanks Alan just wanted to see if the demo was still on

No rush, but definitely put me on the M-50 tour list please.

No problem. I'll go back and see who expressed interest, and try to match the original order it was expressed, in the interests of fairness.

So for demo we (will) have:
EWA M-50 power amplifier
EWA Claymore integrated
EWA LS-40
EWA LS-80
EWA USB
EWA IC-25 interconnects (Balanced and XLR)
EWA MCS-5 power cable
EWA Partridge (currently in a pear tree)

It won't be based on the Claymore at all, rather the new M-50-A concept amp. It still needs a chassis designed and costed, and perhaps a remote if we can trick Colin! It's really too early to think about RRP yet when we don't know the costs.

Ah ok thanks

OK have been having a listen to the LS-40 for a bit now - thanks @ABCaudio for the loan.

To summarise - these are wonderful sounding cables and I cannot really add much more than has been mentioned. Musical, superb details, solid and stable soundstage, shimmering highs, lovely midrange. Everything is present and in spades, I would not hesitate in recommending these to anyone at all.

Today I have focussed my listening on 3 tracks, having previously listened to a wider range of music.
Manu Katche / Imprint on SACD - drumming is fluid, cymbals crisp impact followed by a long decaying shimmer. Woodwind imparts lovely texture.
CJ / Trinity revisited / Sweet Jane on CD - vocals, bass, distorted electric guitar are heavenly. Pinpoint locations for Margo, Michael, Jeff and Ryan.
Eva Cassidy / Songbird / Late in the Evening on CD - getting height on Eva's vocals and the drum kit plus when the bass kicks in lovely zinging texture.

So will I buy them? The answer has to be no, in my system my existing cables give me all the above already! I cannot explain it at all, these are homemade £30 worth of materials. As a more objective test (and I accept this may not prove a lot), given I could not understand my findings vs what other have reported, I measured the response between cables using REW, single speaker full range and close-miked. The SPL and phase traces are almost identical. - A couple of tiny localised variances which could just be measurement anomalies.

For context, my listening room and system is listed in my profile under the information tab:
SOTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo > Bryston SP3 (cross-over at 80Hz)
> Bryston 4BSST > Dynaudio Special 40 using home-made copper foil speaker cables
> Rythmik 12" sealed active subwoofers (pair)

All my listening was with subs engaged, as this is my preferred listening mode I did not evaluate the cables in any other way.

REW output
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TDmPRP2p60ByB3iaFFQrMsXcI72oLFqw/view
view

open

This is according to PFM info your first lot of posting and you have been here 2006, could you please link me to others I may have missed.
My best to you and your family, and thank you for your comment.

Hi @CJ14 , I did post in 2006 but I cannot find those old posts any more. I have not used pfm since and moved on to other forums, e.g. audio circle and avf.

I was pretty inactive with audio from about 2012 onwards as I was building my own home (lots of posts at buildhub forum), but now that I have a dedicated home theater and audio room, plus the time to spare, I am engaging in this again.

I am really keen to improve my audio and went into this trial expecting a lot given the tremendous feedback.

Happy to answer any specific questions, I have given a summary of my system and some setup notes in my profile.

Cables arrived safely in Devon - sadly not the warm sunny holiday version today! Connected up and playing music right now, but no judgements just yet, give them (and me) a little time to acclimatise. one immediate observation though, these are big boys - make my black link look like string :)

Cables arrived safely in Devon - sadly not the warm sunny holiday version today! Connected up and playing music right now, but no judgements just yet, give them (and me) a little time to acclimatise. one immediate observation though, these are big boys - make my black link look like string :)

Have you had quick listen yet?

I'll fill the void by reporting that my new LS-80 cables are settling in nicely and sound great on the end of my 500 series Naim kit. Definitely a step up from the LS-25! My apologies go to Alan for forcing him to squeeze the cable into a set of Naim speaker plugs, and dealing with the oddities of the Naim terminals.

Hi, my current cables are approx 2m long. Did not compare ls40 to the ls25. The 25 were an impulse opportunity, I will try them properly at some point. Currently distracted by isoacoustic pucks.

advertisement

Back