advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

Hello @ABCaudio ,
I believe we have had some mail exchanges earlier. I am looking for 2.5M - 3M cables. I am very keen in buying LS-25 but I am still not sure, I would like to try LS-40 if you can accommodate me for the demo as well?
I dont want to play around with cables anymore, I would like to buy one end game (in my budget).
I have Hegel H190 and Amphion Argon 3S.

Hi!

You are very welcome to try this 3M set, assuming you're in the UK. The 'rules' are in the opening post, but basically you pay to forward the cables to the next person after one week. Restricting this to established forum member was the original idea, but I'm confident we can take you at your word.

Someone else on pfm has had great results with a Hegel amplifier. I think that LS-40 represent the best value in the range.

Anyone who participates in the pfm trial can contact me (whether you already own EWA or not) for a discount. Should anybody fall just outside these terms, please contact me directly, and we can talk.

I have the Studio Connections Abbey Road Reference Plus. Which are great, but I am missing the coherence to a level to be able to catch a fly chopsticks like the shifu kung fu panda. :D :) and lower registers washing me over wave by wave..
Till know I have witnessed this only in Planar magnetic headphones and handful of IEMs. Yes, I am based in the UK. What if I buy the LS-25 can I upgrade them by the quoted scheme ?

Rest assured, I will not pinch the cables :)

I have the Studio Connections Abbey Road Reference Plus. Which are great, but I missing the coherence to a level to be able to catch a fly chopsticks like the shifu kung fu panda. :D :) and lower registers washing me over wave by wave..
Till know I have witnessed this only in Planar magnetic headphones and handful of IEMs. Yes, I am based in the UK. What if I buy the LS-25 can I upgrade them by the quoted scheme ?

Rest assured, I will not pinch the cables :)
Anyone who quotes Kung Fu Panda at me can try LS-40.
PO said:
There is no charge for awesomenes or attractiveness.

I'll add you to the list!

I'll write up a decent review when i have everything in place (EWA mains and USB cable on its way for the full loom experience).. But I have recently been fortunate enough to have had the Anzus A2 speaker and USB cables on loan from Anzus UK since i bought the Aavik U-300. The A2 speaker cable is £4200 for a 2.5m set and the 2m USB cable £880, which had been in place since Friday morning. This afternoon I got the LS-40 back, within the hour I was on the phone ordering a 2.5m pair of LS-40s from @ABCaudio

Interesting how in the context of my previous system the LS-40 were rather indifferent but with the LS-40 / Aavik U-300 system it's markedly superior than the others I have on dem. Not forgetting Anzus and Aavik (Including Borrensen) are effectivity the same company.

Last edited:
@Amber Audio lets us know your thoughts on your time with the cables
First off I’d like to thank Colin and Alan for providing the trial service, borrowing cables this way there’s no feeling of obligation to buy, unlike from a dealer, even if only subconscious.

I currently have a Luxman L-590AXII integrated amp and Martin Logan ESL11a speakers connected with a 3M pair of Van Damme Black 6mm. My goto speaker cable is Chord Odyssey 2, which I’ve used on and off for 20 plus years.

I listened to my usual tracks and also the albums I’m playing regularly, mainly the Taylor Swift lockdown ones, swapping VD & LS cables back and forth a few times, then leaving the LS-40 in for a few days. Compared to the Van Damme it was easier to follow the micro details and I had a feeling that vocals had more body/presence, the bass also seemed a little deeper. Certain things were more obvious to hear in well known songs, Prefab Sprout and The The albums (all of them :)) are regulars and very well known to me, the radio chatter on one track was easier to make out using the LS cables, peripheral effects were also slightly more prominent, enough to make me double check they were there using the VD, they were but just not as easy to hear. In context these changes are very small compared to a cart or speaker change, icing on the cake stuff.

I decide whether to buy an item by asking myself if I feel things sound worse or like something is missing when the item is taken away. I have a couple of sessions with things returned to normal and if I “feel” something is off/missing I have another try and then likely pull the trigger. I was sure the LS-40 was better than the Van Damme and worth moving to. As a test I dropped the Odyssey 2 cables in, long story short there was nothing in it so the Odyssey cables have remained in place for now and the Van Damme are back in the spares box.

I’m not finished building my main system up so aim to leave final cable choice until I have a long term Amp+Speaker pair in place, at which point the LS-80 will be on the demo list along with the matching interconnects.

advertisement

Back