advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

Just been listening to this with the U-300 > LS-40..

The bass line is subsonic, the air in the room is charged. The synergy of the system is spot on.. its not just low, its textured, quick and informative. I've previously referenced how the speakers and the U-300 sound like there's a couple of well dialled-in subs. With the LS-40 its like I've upgraded the subs from 8" to 12"s. Nothing but the amp has changed since the LS-40 were here at the beginning of this trail. Goes to show how context is everything.

@Cereal Killer if you’ve spent all that money on an amp you are wasting your time with the LS40s. As you know I had 25s, tried 40s and still can’t fathom why they didn’t quite hit the spot and now 80s which are stunning. @Heckyman and I are positively raving about them. I’m paying for mine tomorrow - they aren’t going back. You owe it to your amp to hear the 80s - seriously....

@Vaibhav I know your speaker cables and have other Studio Connections mains stuff and interconnects. They are excellent. LS25s are unlikely to better your Reference Plus speaker cables (or not by much). You need to try LS40s and make up your own mind.

I’ve not tried EWA mains cables but I can say that SC mains cables are pretty special.

I thought the 40's were great, if my speakers had been single terminal I would have stopped at that. But the 80's...wow.

@ex brickie I'm cool where I am with the LS-40's .... seriously, it sounds blissful. I'd rather try a full EWA loom than go mental on the LS-80s.

The amp is lighting fast, nimble and sweet, yet has a sledge hammer in each hand when it comes to bass lines. The LS-40s suites it to a tee.

I know of another U-300 (in Sweden) for sale with full manufacturers lifetime warranty if anyone's interested :D https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/aavik-acoustics-u-300-integrated-amplifier

This guy Marcus from Perfect Sense (who i can vouch for) is an authorised Aavik dealer (verified by Aavik sales director). He's offering this U-300 for 12000euros/ Approx £10500 https://perfect-sense.se/demo-inbyten-andra-hand

This is absolutely my end game amp.... comes with a full lifetime manufacturers warranty which is transferable according to Aavik, who are very communicative via email. (if interested in can put you in contact with the sales & marketing director)

I was going to buy this but found and xdem unit here in the UK. I have full hi-res pics of this unit if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
@Vaibhav I know your speaker cables and have other Studio Connections mains stuff and interconnects. They are excellent. LS25s are unlikely to better your Reference Plus speaker cables (or not by much). You need to try LS40s and make up your own mind.

I’ve not tried EWA mains cables but I can say that SC mains cables are pretty special.

Thanks for your insights @ex brickie, I am so happy that I didnt pull the trigger on LS-25, I am targeting LS-40...
I am on default powercables / there are no interconnects in my setup. :) ( trying to me super minimalistic... )
I am awaiting my turn for LS-40 in the queue. :) I hope these are end game for me. I recently flushed all I had to get H190 and Amphion.
I believe, I am very close to my bookshelf end game.

Last edited:
Just been listening to this with the U-300 > LS-40..

The bass line is subsonic, the air in the room is charged. The synergy of the system is spot on.. its not just low, its textured, quick and informative. I've previously referenced how the speakers and the U-300 sound like there's a couple of well dialled-in subs. With the LS-40 its like I've upgraded the subs from 8" to 12"s. Nothing but the amp has changed since the LS-40 were here at the beginning of this trail. Goes to show how context is everything.

Remember Raj -loudspeaker cables cannot add bass or make them appear bigger than they already are.;)

@Cereal Killer: Could I request your honest thoughts please :) Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

So here's a few observations on the LS-40s v the Anzus A2's. tried to keep it short and to the point:

I had the Anzus cables in for 3-4 days to get used to them, which I found dark and recessed at first. Being brand new the Anzus A2's did start to open up but still, I had a feeling they were voiced to perhaps work in a full Aavik/Anzus/Borrensen context... after all they are the same company really. The A2's were excellent with rock music but felt slightly controlled/contrived in general. The LS-40s were a breath of fresh air when they came. They are superbly neutral, full of detail, but in a perfectly relaxed manor. Plus, the bass depth and resolution on the LS40 is astonishing. The mid-band is beautifully resolved with an ever so slightly silky effect. The highs are also completely present with no feeling of being restraint but manage to do so without drawings attention to themselves in anyway.

As you may see from the beginning of this thread, I was the first in line but had a different setup then and in the context of that amp the LS-40s appeared negligible.

In the new Setup (details below) The superior effects of the LS-40 was near enough instantly recognised which goes to show context and synergy is key.

System:
Aavik U-300
Speakers: (DIY) VOLT BM228.8 / ScanSpeak D2905/990000
Speaker stands: solidsteel SS-5
Speaker cables: EWA LS-40
USB cable: Lindy Cromo

Roon & Network:
ROCK: Intel NUC i7 10th Gen FNK2: 16GB RAM 256GB MVMe SSD
Storage: QNAP TS-251+: 8GB RAM 2x 2TB SSDs
Switch: NETGEAR ProSafe GS105
Cables: Lindy Cromo CAT6

Mains:
LPSU: HD Plex 300W
Cables: Neotech NEP-4003 / MS-HD

@CJ14 @ABCaudio Nicely done gents, I'm back :D
Looing forward to hearing what the full EWA loom brings to the table!

Last edited:
Those Anzus are crazy expensive, seems as people are buying this stuff, guess he's laughing all the way to bank

Yes, like proper crazy.... the DTC extreme speaker cables are £50K !!!
I have no time for companies that price their products like that. It’s a case of, think of a number and multiply it by 10 because some mugs with more money than sense will pay that . . .
Colin and Alan have told me that the EWA cables have an unusually high cost to retail price ratio and I believe them. Those Anzus cables have got to be at the other end of the spectrum.

Colin and Alan have told me that the EWA cables have an unusually high cost to retail price ratio and I believe them. Those Anzus cables have got to be at the other end of the spectrum.

I have some technical info that was emailed to me, I believe the Anzus cables are 'real' in there intent and the designer isn't a bull-shitter of the highest order, but their pricing structurer is frankly ridiculous.

I also believe the EWA cables are the real deal in every sense. The more I listen with the LS-40's in place, the more I realise what an amazing job Colin @CJ14 has done here.

Yeah I’m not saying they don’t make good products, just that their pricing looks very cynical to me. I heard some Borrenson speakers at Munich in 2019 and they were very impressive, but the prices . . .

Agreed, BUT for example the Aavik U-300 (which is also a Borrensen/Anzus design) is worth what i paid for it 'to me' ... then again i paid just under half the RRP which was an eye watering £22/25K.

advertisement

Back