advertisement

Dog attacks "skyrocketing", now "an unrecognised public health crisis"

a) Because it would provide the authorities with an easy method to confiscate problem dogs.
b) Because AFAIK nobody has suggested a workable alternative.
c) Because it's much easier to make the argument that an owner should be personally responsible for possible damages caused by their pets, than trying to argue that specific breeds be banned (which ends up in a discussion of responsible vs irresponsible owners).
You think the Police would have the time or inclination or resource necessary to be diverted from real crime to check dog insurance, or that the general public who have suffered theft, assault or other more common misdemeanours would accept it?

You think the Police would have the time or inclination or resource necessary to be diverted from real crime to check dog insurance, or that the general public who have suffered theft, assault or other more common misdemeanours would accept it?
This is the point. You can pass all the laws you like, you can criminalise certain behaviours as much as you like, but if there are not sufficient resources to enforce them, they will not achieve a thing.

"I would happily take Barry [an American XL Bully] to the House of Commons, put him in a bow and he would sit there quite happily, no issues." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-66785318

What planet are these dog owners on?

Do they think MPs are so stupid that (assuming the dog doesn't start attacking the Speaker) they are going to pass laws based on seeing a dog in bow tie?

"Well, I was going to call for a ban because of the multiple deaths, but now that I've seen a pitbull in a bow tie..."

Or does this owner think her American XL Bully can become a dog MP by turning up at the Commons in a bow tie? :confused:

Ridiculous.

They could add them to the banned list but as Oldius points out, the breeders will just fill the gap with something else, and in any case there's no really definable breed standard for the bobbies to identify against.

Seeing the pic in that article reminds me of the old Pitbull ID chart for journalists:

Pit Bull ID chart 2 by Neil Tully, on Flickr

Realistically the easiest way to control the breed would be to clamp down on the rogue breeding farms, for these and any other dodgy breeds...English bulldogs and French Bulls would be top of my list but not for the same reasons.

"I would happily take Barry [an American XL Bully] to the House of Commons, put him in a bow and he would sit there quite happily, no issues." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-66785318

What planet are these dog owners on?

Do they think MPs are so stupid that (assuming the dog doesn't start attacking the Speaker) they are going to pass laws based on seeing a dog in bow tie?

"Well, I was going to call for a ban because of the multiple deaths, but now that I've seen a pitbull in a bow tie..."

Or does this owner think her American XL Bully can become a dog MP by turning up at the Commons in a bow tie? :confused:

Ridiculous.

It wasn't that long ago they were trying to save big dog in Westminster.

I think it would allow the authorities to confiscate a dog before it attacks if a member of the public has reported the dog as being aggressive or intimidating. As it stands right now I don't think they can do anything unless there is obvious animal cruelty or until the dog attacks someone.

Whether they have time is a different matter, and IMO dog maulings or killings are "real crime".

Yes, many people don't like dogs, are uncomfortable in their presence, and would rather avoid being chased by an aggressive animal (that is in all likelihood feeling threatened/scared), but there are over 12 million dogs in the UK with 78,000 attacks recorded over the last five years (CH4) - so, less than 1% of dogs. Despite the right-wing press making an issue out of all of this, we have bigger problems to deal with (though I would support some form of mandatory owner training). And think of our poor American cousins - they have to deal with snakes, wolves, cougars, sharks, and the like.

And that's just the Republicans...

Saw this posted elsewhere. More points re society as much as the dogs themselves.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2023/09/13/the-bully-xl-and-the-fraying-of-community-life/
Spiked is usually full of bollocks, but that article is bang on the money. The trend for parading threatening dogs about is an inevitable consequence of the decay in social responsibility and increase in entitlement and material vulgarity. What it fails to mention is that this was unleashed by Thatch.

Personally, I'd like to see greater sanctions to remove nuisance dogs from irresponsible owners. There should be swift and easy recourse in law to remove Intimidatory and noisy animals from irresponsible owners.

The latest death reported today https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66817795

"A man attacked by two dogs in a street near a school has died ... A 30-year-old man from Lichfield was arrested on suspicion of having dogs dangerously out of control."

So it's presumably not the owner who was killed.

Very near a school. "Some children were stopped by officers leaving nearby St Peter's Primary Academy for "safety reasons", the force added."

According to Bully Watch, there are rumours that the dogs were XL bullys.

People like the Daily Mail seem to be ignoring the context of the growth of these dogs. They are bred by back street illegal breeders to be as aggressive as possible. They are then supplied to drug dealers for enforcement purposes and to make life difficult for raiding Police. Bully XL suit the macho image but ban them and another suitable dog will come along.

Wouldn't a sensible first step be classifying dogs by weight rather than breed? Dogs over a certain weight attracting onerous licensing and control requirements.

Wouldn't a sensible first step be classifying dogs by weight rather than breed? Dogs over a certain weight requiring onerous licensing and control requirements.

what about the Pocket Bully? small dog that can still kill a child.........

The Prime Minister has spoken: "It’s clear the American XL Bully dog is a danger to our communities. I’ve ordered urgent work to define and ban this breed so we can end these violent attacks and keep people safe." https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/american-xl-bully-dog-ban-uk-attack-b2412188.html

Will be banned "by the end of the year".

It remains to be seen if Sunak's idea of a dog ban is the same as his idea of stopping boats or reducing inflation (i.e. completely ineffective and not a ban at all).

advertisement

Back