advertisement

DIY Tonearm

It's anodised aluminium.

I was told it was an incredibly strong aluminium alloy of some sort and I read somewhere that visitors to the Naim factory were told that if they could bend an Aro armtube with their bare hands they'd give them an Aro foc.

Mmmm magic alloy. not just to short to get a good grip and leverage.

I saw the jig for gluing up Aros on a factory tour, a series of V blocks etc and toggle clamps to hold the arms in place while the glue set.

Pete

I was told it was an incredibly strong aluminium alloy of some sort and I read somewhere that visitors to the Naim factory were told that if they could bend an Aro armtube with their bare hands they'd give them an Aro foc.
Same trick at Rega and I think SME at various shows. Not a bad party trick but, really, it's just a party trick. I can't bend a 6" nail in my hands, it doesn't make it any good in hifi.

Same trick at Rega and I think SME at various shows. Not a bad party trick but, really, it's just a party trick. I can't bend a 6" nail in my hands, it doesn't make it any good in hifi.

Might as well make the arm tube out of plastic then if it's just a party trick ;)

WT seem to manufacture a perfectly good sounding arm using just that!

Logically, there is no reason, in my opinion, why the arm tube needs to be super strong and therefore something like plastic would do perfectly well. Once we have the basic parts list together, it should be fairly easy to play around with with different arm tubes.

Logically, there is no reason, in my opinion, why the arm tube needs to be super strong and therefore something like plastic would do perfectly well. Once we have the basic parts list together, it should be fairly easy to play around with with different arm tubes.

I agree that strength is irrelevant, but stiffness is important - a floppy construction means you have a much denser spectrum of bending and torsional modes to manage in the midrange.

Not super strong maybe, but certainly super rigid. The more rigid, the higher the resonant frequency gets pushed I think. There are arrows made of all sorts of stuff, so if we agree on an arrow diameter folk can experiment with different materials reasonably easily.

Chose your meaning. It was an unfortunately named but wonderful sushi restaurant. i would like to have my armwand made from ebonised bamboo chopsticks belonging to a early dynasty emperor. It would work well with my norushi cartridge on my norega TT...

Sorry I am too tired to contribute anything other than mirth and good wishes.

Well since we were talking arrows and archers I was moving toward suggesting Agincourt until I realised the original designer was French ;)

Not super strong maybe, but certainly super rigid. The more rigid, the higher the resonant frequency gets pushed I think.

I am not even sure super rigid is necessary. You cannot avoid resonance, whatever you use it is going to resonate somewhere in the audible spectrum. As I said, let's just make something from aluminium alloy then experiment later.

There are arrows made of all sorts of stuff, so if we agree on an arrow diameter folk can experiment with different materials reasonably easily.

I am not sure there are any advantages in buying arrow shafts over standard off the shelf aluminium alloy tubing. From the measurements quoted, it looks like a standard 3/8" tube which you can get from many different suppliers very cheaply.

Fair enough, I thought It had been agreed fairly early in the thread that arrows were being used. We seem to be going round in circles a bit.

I hope this thread turns into something as it's been very quiet here in the DIY room for a long while.

What you don't like Unicorn Slipmats!? :)

Well apart from the unicorn slipmat! The deck below it was quite good as well!! I'd almost stopped looking at the DIY room actually, then you posted your deck ideas and that got me hooked back in :) Thanks.

advertisement

Back