advertisement

DIY Tonearm

I have quite a few arrow tubes here that you can use if you wish. PM me and I'll send a few over, pretty sure they're the same OD as the Aro but as I said before it's been a while since I looked at this. These are aluminium by the way, not sure what type.

We seem to be going round in circles a bit.

Indeed :). It seems that AudioFlyer is investigating something at the moment, I am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with. I am going to pursue some independent investigation of my own ideas as well and will report back once I have learned how to machine aluminium!

Would there be any benefit in either damping the armtube (with expanding foam or something similar) or placing the armtube under tension by inserting a threaded rod, securing at each end and tightening it up? The Audiomods arms use two aluminium washers that are inserted 1/3 and 2/3 of the way down to brace the arm tube.

Bending stiffness of a tube is proportional to the 4th power of diameter. Thats a cheap 'upgrade'

So fo example, for a given wall thickness and, going to 0.5" tube from 3/8" means just 1/3rd the deflection under a given load. Something to think about while you have a free hand. Well damped, large diameter and thin wall could be worth playing with.

Bending stiffness of a tube is proportional to the 4th power of diameter. Thats a cheap 'upgrade'

So fo example, for a given wall thickness and, going to 0.5" tube from 3/8" means just 1/3rd the deflection under a given load. Something to think about while you have a free hand. Well damped, large diameter and thin wall could be worth playing with.

That's interesting to know. The Aro is noticeably narrower than the Ekos, for example, though I think that is part of the charm of its looks.

Perhaps you should be looking at why Guy did what he did when designing the ARO.

It's about control of energy and the dissipation thereof.

Arbitrarily changing aspects of the design is not advised.

I agree. Let's get something made based on the drawings we have and then if people want to play around they can. We're in danger of needing to call this thing a zebra soon (horse designed by a committee)

I agree. Let's get something made based on the drawings we have and then if people want to play around they can. We're in danger of needing to call this thing a zebra soon (horse designed by a committee)

I'm not advising a copy btw.

Perhaps you should be looking at why Guy did what he did when designing the ARO.

I think we have been doing that already, within the limits of what is possible without access to Guy himself to explain each design choice - I have looked for him online, but no luck so far. As far as I know, the rational for the design has never been explained in any of the reviews in any real detail.

It's about control of energy and the dissipation thereof.

It should be obvious, if you read the thread, we already get that

I don't think anyone was proposing arbitrary changes.

One thing that is unusual about the Aro is that the headshell is a large solid flat surface with only holes drilled to mount the cartridge. Most other arm headshell out there have some areas drilled out, I would guess, to reduce mass and control resonance. It would be interesting to know whether this was a deliberate choice or a cost constraint.

I've drawn a blank with Naim in that they don't want an arm based on the Aro.
No further explanation was give.

Sharif.

I'm also at a lost all I ask is if we could make a tonearm base on the Aro with the understanding it would be different.

I could understand it if it was going to look the same.

advertisement

Back