advertisement

DIY Tonearm

hmm... I wouldn't consider colour changes to constitute a difference and as the form of the Aro is very much a product of its function any significant differences will result in a different arm (in terms of performance).

(Did you receive my reply to your email?)

If I had it my way I would just build it as a copy but that seems unfair as the ARO is a great product it just a shame it no longer made.

I think it would be nice to adapt it as the bases for an arm that we can all build.

These are just my thoughts and maybe of others:-

Replace the arms threaded mounting base and locking collar with a three point.mounting arrangement.

Head- shell redesigned to allow some adjustment for cartridge alignment.

A lift and lower device

Keep the pivot yoke but add a flange to the lower edge.

Nobody will know how it sounds unless one is built.

Sharif.

If I had it my way I would just build it as a copy but that seems unfair as the ARO is a great product it just a shame it no longer made.

I think it would be nice to adapt it as the bases for an arm that we can all build.

These are just my thoughts and maybe of others:-

Replace the arms threaded mounting base and locking collar with a three point.mounting arrangement.

Head- shell redesigned to allow some adjustment for cartridge alignment.

A lift and lower device

Keep the pivot yoke but add a flange to the lower edge.

Nobody will know how it sounds unless one is built.

Sharif.

That sounds more like it :) How do feel about a one piece pillar instead of the original rather complex arrangement? What's the flange for?

Happily it doesn't greatly increase the machine costs to do this, a run of 15 still hovers around $35 each.

Cheers.
Ed

If you can wait a little bit longer I'm in talk's with a CNC machine shop to manufacture all the parts.

Sharif.

That sounds more like it :) How do feel about a one piece pillar instead of the original rather complex arrangement? What's the flange for?

If you look at the yoke the piece that hold the arm tube and the counter weight greater stability could be had if it could be made longer.
You can't make it longer as it will bottom out with the arm board mounting.
It is just a thought the same could be achieved by adding a flange.

I think machining wise it's a good idea but I would like to try the decoupled one as well.

I would be extremely surprised if Naim agreed to licence this thing without full quality control over it and hence some kind of licence fee. Also if I were Naim I wouldn't be too happy about the possibility of copies of a product being out there with the potential for one to be thought of as the real thing. Therefore something about it would have to be sufficiently visually different as to allow no confusion (pink arm wand anyone)

They agreed for us to make an exact copy of the shoebox sleeve, even giving us the exact paint type and application finish. The only stipulation was we should not claim it was made by NAIM.

advertisement

Back