advertisement

DIY Tonearm

I'm also at a lost all I ask is if we could make a tonearm base on the Aro with the understanding it would be different.

I could understand it if it was going to look the same.

But we don't need their permission to do that. We are not doing anything legally or morally wrong, hence why I did not think it was necessary or appropriate to ask for permission in the first place.

Let's just carry on as planned.

I can see nothing in the Aro tonearm that was/is patented/patentable. Original patents for un-pivot designs have expired.

I think we need to use best engineering practised to develop the "Fishes un-pivot tonearm"

I've had a play with this and it is good. The full version for a single user is only $99, which is not a lot for a pretty complicated piece of code.

If you manage to get you head around it I'll send you the "Fishes un-pivot tonearm" drawing as I do them.

Sharif.

But we don't need their permission to do that. We are not doing anything legally or morally wrong, hence why I did not think it was necessary or appropriate to ask for permission in the first place.

Yep I agree. We're not going to sell it and if we end up with an arrow shaft for arm tube then I for one will be going all out bling and nobody would confuse that with a Naim product ;)

You want to copy someone's else's design, you don't find that morally wrong why?

You want to copy someone's else's design, you don't find that morally wrong why?

Copying is not morally wrong. The Aro is not manufactured any more, it is not sold by Naim any more, it is not protected by copyright and it is not protected by any patents. If I build a copy for my own use, I am not taking business from Naim or causing any damage to the company as they chose to no longer make it.

Copying is not morally wrong. The Aro is not manufactured any more, it is not sold by Naim any more, it is not protected by copyright and it is not protected by any patents. If I build a copy for my own use, I am not taking business from Naim or causing any damage to the company as they chose to no longer make it.

If you are happy with that stance, fill your boots mate.

The Aro looks similar to one or two other unipivots that came before it and the principle is the same so who's copied who? The Roksan Nima looks pretty much like a copy to me and what about Johhnie's new unipivot? The only complaints I've read about that on the Naim site were about the headshell and couldn't he make it a bit more delicate, more Aro like :cool: The only thing unique to the Aro is the split bearing pillar and I'm not sure it does what it's supposed to anyway so I'm happy with a solid pillar. Problem solved ;)

The Aro looks similar to one or two other unipivots that came before it and the principle is the same so who's copied who? The Roksan Nima looks pretty much like a copy to me and what about Johhnie's new unipivot? The only complaints I've read about that on the Naim site were about the headshell and couldn't he make it a bit more delicate, more Aro like :cool: The only thing unique to the Aro is the split bearing pillar and I'm not sure it does what it's supposed to anyway so I'm happy with a solid pillar. Problem solved ;)

+1 to that, Ours is unlikely to be an exact copy anyhow so let's just get on with it - split bearing pillar.

Stefan

Everything can be improved on - I'm not convinced that an Internet design committee is likely to achieve it though. If the intention is to try to make something genuinely better then prototypes will have to be made and compared to each other etc. the only way to know the impact of the bearing is to make it without the decoupling element.

I believe, from talking to Sharif on the phone yesterday, that the ball bearing/rod/fluid damper is also not that original and has been borrowed from a design often used on bridges.

The current Aro has, as one of my friends once put it, "more joints than a hippie's ash tray", so I think you can build the same design with fewer parts. The bearing pillar, for example, could be made from just two parts, rather than the four used by Naim.

Everything can be improved on - I'm not convinced that an Internet design committee is likely to achieve it though. If the intention is to try to make something genuinely better then prototypes will have to be made and compared to each other etc. the only way to know the impact of the bearing is to make it without the decoupling element.

Why not let us have a go and see what happens, then you can say "told you so" and sit back smugly.

Just getting fed up with the negativity.

Pete

advertisement

Back