advertisement

DIY Tonearm

@Fox, I suspect that the collar will be larger than 15mm, but as far as I know nobody has started actually designing something yet, so I may be wrong :)

I have revised my headshell design to make it stiffer and more Ekos like (the fillet on the inside edge now runs most of the length of the headshell). I have also taken the design back into eMachineShop, since it seems to be the best value for small production runs. Three questions:

1: Is there enough interest to support a small production run at $35 each + tax/shipping? We need to order 15 to get this price (no anodising this time).
2: Can I enlist some help from people to debug the design before we place an order?
3: Do we have a helpful fish in the US who can drop ship them to us to save on postage/tax (eMachineShop charge $77).
4: Any preference on the size of hole in the collar? I have specced 12.7mm since this is the size of the aluminium tube I found.

STEP file is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1eric1gpui2cgv/headshell.step

Cheers,
Ed

Is your head shell based on the later SE Ekos one?

I also think there is some benefits to have the head shell machined with a hollowed boss as the ARO head shell.

Sharif.

4: Any preference on the size of hole in the collar? I have specced 12.7mm since this is the size of the aluminium tube I found.

The Aro tube, if legend is to be believed that it is an arrow shaft would be smaller than that as the standard is 25/64" (just under 10mm). For aluminium tube, 10mm and 3/8" seem to be standard tube sizes depending on the supplier/location.

What software do I need to open that?

I also think there is some benefits to have the head shell machined with a hollowed boss as the ARO head shell.

Is the boss on the ARO machined, or is it a welded (or glued) part? I have assumed the latter and sourced an appropriate sized tube (12.7mm OD, 9.5mm ID). This should comfortably accept the 9.3mm diameter arrows with room for glue. 9.3mm is the maximum diameter for competition arrows, so there should be plenty of choice at this size.

John Channing said:
What software do I need to open that?
Any 3d modelling software should be able to open a STEP file. Alternatively you can download the eMachineShop software and use this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfg5u7ie5xh3rsw/headshell.ems

The headshell mounting boss is machined as one with the headshell - it is glued to the arm tube shaft.

According to my Vernier Calipers the diameter of the shaft is 9.46mm.

Has anyone thought to ask NAIM if it's ok to copy their design?

Apparently not! Having said that, there is quite some distance until any clone is likely to be produced IMO.

Copyright only applies to a commercial offering. If I want to make a replica Merlin engine then provided I don't offer it for sale then it's no concern of Rolls Royce.

WRT respct and honour, the thing is no longer available so if you want a new one you have to designa replica. In addition, AIUI this is not a replica but a very similar design with no attempt to pass it off as the genuine article.

Copyright only applies to a commercial offering. If I want to make a replica Merlin engine then provided I don't offer it for sale then it's no concern of Rolls Royce.

WRT respct and honour, the thing is no longer available so if you want a new one you have to designa replica. In addition, AIUI this is not a replica but a very similar design with no attempt to pass it off as the genuine article.

Still might be nice to ask, you may get some help?

The head hell mounting boss is machined as one with the head shell - it is glued to the arm tube shaft.

According to my Vernier Calipers the diameter of the shaft is 9.46mm.

Good to know. I have updated the STEP file with this addition. Happily it doesn't greatly increase the machine costs to do this, a run of 15 still hovers around $35 each.

Can you tell whether the boss at the other end of the armtube is similarly machined as one with the body?

Cheers.
Ed

Still might be nice to ask, you may get some help?

Hi Andrew I planning to give Naim a call this week I know my original pdf files are of the damage ARO I have, but what we are trying to do is build a working design that based on it. I think the request being made should ensure that it will be sufficiently different to the ARO.

Sharif.

advertisement

Back