advertisement

Devialet opinions, reflection.

Maybe I missed it but what is it - 200, 220, 170, 130 etc.?
Used, new?

I have used Naim for 37 years but am getting tired of all of those big black boxes etc. I'm taken by the new Nova (if it ever arrives) but doubt it will drive my Obelisks, so Devialet are a major draw for me.

I auditioned a 220 vs. 272/250 recently and that was intriguing: Naim clearly better on some tracks, Devialet on others.

However, a used 200 would come in at far less than a new Nova.

Can't wait to hear your impressions...

May I ask what are those big black boxes. 37 years.. it's not a surprise you are tired. All my gear usually don't last more than 10 years in the system (12 years is the record) but that may well change soon.

Ordered the 220 expert after a five hour dem on Saturday, have used Naim for last ten years. After hearing Devialet it's clear to me how, to use Art as a analogy, Naim paints musical pictures using broad strokes in a more impressionist way, Devialet to my ears is more detailed in a more old masters way of painting. Lots of detail and notice more each time you listen.
I realise how much Naim misses the point to me or loses the point.
Had a listen to 272/250DR, nice but lacks detail and precision the expert brings out, listened to 272 into ATC 40 actives, nice and very tempting but bulky and not so room friendly size wise.
The expert 220 really brought out the best in my Harbeths with or without SAM, I found the phono stage to be excellent too.

v Not sure why you want to change from the Melco's USB connection Dan. I reckon the Melco's USB implementation's extremely good.

Exactly, I have a new TQB USB arriving this week, but have u8ntil now always used ethernet via its DSM Player only mode (which I like a lot)

So for me it is a genuine comparison to see what feels and works best.

Kinsky is working well for me as the control point so I'm in a good place. At the moment I am using a very stock USB hence the test on the TQB also to see what, if anything, a better USB does add?

Ordered the 220 expert after a five hour dem on Saturday, have used Naim for last ten years. After hearing Devialet it's clear to me how, to use Art as a analogy, Naim paints musical pictures using broad strokes in a more impressionist way, Devialet to my ears is more detailed in a more old masters way of painting. Lots of detail and notice more each time you listen.
Had a listen to 272/250DR, nice but lacks detail and precision the expert brings out, listened to 272 into ATC 40 actives, nice and very tempting but bulky and not so room friendly size wise.
The expert 220 really brought out the best in my Harbeths with or without SAM, I found the phono stage to be excellent too.

Ordered a 130Pro Expert swapped out the 272/250DR. Sopra 2 speakers. Melco N1A. NACA5. TQB USB arriving this week. ROON 3 month trial running (new to ROON)

Ordered a 130Pro Expert swapped out the 272/250DR. Sopra 2 speakers. Melco N1A. NACA5. TQB USB arriving this week. ROON 3 month trial running (new to ROON)

Found a noticeable improvement in sound with my Harbeths from the 130 to 220, much better control over the drivers and felt the extra outlay was worth it. Much more scope with the 220 phono stage for me anyhow, and the free upgrade when it comes in October I understand for upnp/dnla.

It was quite a scary decision to make all the same for me.

Found a noticeable improvement in sound with my Harbeths from the 130 to 220, much better control over the drivers and felt the extra outlay was worth it. Much more scope with the 220 phono stage for me anyhow, and the free upgrade when it comes in October I understand for upnp/dnla.

It was quite a scary decision to make all the same for me.

Much the same. I got a cracking deal on a new 130 so went for it, the 220 was just a bit too much, but do understand.

The free OS board comes with Pro Expert models and those who paid for the recent upgrades as I have read it.

I do not require the phono stage and my new listening room is smaller so do not need the extra grunt, but again I do understand why anyone would, should have more drive through the volume and drive the speakers more effectively.

I am so far happy with the 130Pro, at this stage of what I am doing and how I listen it is a very good fit.

On Devialet chat it has been confirmed through Devialet themselves as being October 17th, this seems solid.

What isn't confirmed is if we need to return the units to France or it can be a dealer fit?

ROON through AIR was confirmed last week and 3 month free trials emailed out to those registered. I am using it, there is a lot in ROON so will take a while to be smoothly used by me being a brand new ROON user mind, looks good so far though :)

The way it was said to me is to return to dealer and promised a week turn around, I would be amazed at a week to be honest.

Exactly, I have a new TQB USB arriving this week, but have u8ntil now always used ethernet via its DSM Player only mode (which I like a lot)

So for me it is a genuine comparison to see what feels and works best.

Kinsky is working well for me as the control point so I'm in a good place. At the moment I am using a very stock USB hence the test on the TQB also to see what, if anything, a better USB does add?
Sorry Dan, I think I misunderstood your intentions. I like Kinsky, but only on my iPad - on a small Android pad it's very flaky, so I use Bubble uPnP for control on that, which is great.

I have original D premiers .. a pair.. the big difference was going dual mono vs the single.
I missed the upgrade earlier this year from 500w Dprems to 1000pro ..all I really wanted was the power upgrade .. the rest of the stuff the pro gets is not useful to me

Even with speakers that are 92 db efficient , I have managed to clip the amps when playing some organ music and some music with ultra low freqs..I have a big room and like it at lifelike levels and beyond .. I needed more bass oomph

Since the UG program is suspended , I decided to play with the Eu 7000 the UG will cost and increase power , buying stuff I can shift on at minimal loss if its not that great.

My speakers can be biamped with a true split between mid/treble and the bass drivers...so I have bought a 600w Class D amp using the Abletec ALC1000 modules with a view to using a 1500w Pascal based module if it works well .. the D-sonic m3a-1500s model. The Spirits can take a continuous 1650w RMS

The point of all this re devialet is that it lets me , via the variable pre outs , to track volume and due to its ability to adjust voltage of the pre outs, to match the gains of the devialet and the abletec ( play a continuous tone of circa 150hz and use a digital multimeter across the amps speaker terminals so that they are both at the same AC voltage)

It further allow me to high pass the signal to the devialets amp and low pass to the abletec .. the config options are marvelous, a true swiss army knife..

There is a "but" , the preamp outputs use a different DAC than the devialet uses internally as the internal dac cant really be separated from the power section .. not sure how the preouts dac stacks up with the internal one? I have used them to drive a set of beyerdynamics headphones (directly off the RCA's) and it sounded good then....

Whats a PITA is the sd card shuffle one has to do for minor changes in le confrigerateur -- 2 of them for the dual monos so everything is done double.

You've done something I was wondering if I could do- in my case connect a class d power amp between the variable pre outputs of the D200 and the LF isobaric drivers on Discoveries while using the speaker outputs of the D200 to drive the HF and mid section. My question is around how to trim the pre output level to match the speaker output. I'm not clear where you adjusted the Devialet to get the matching.

It didnt work well at all , I set the max trim on the pre outs to 1.1 v , and there was terrible distortion as I went loud..I think I set the main amps level too low when adjusting the bass amps trim.

I set it back to the 2v default and then tried the class D as a main amp and the devialets as a pre...no distortion
I will have to investigate further ..I think I may have gain issues...as I apply a -6db attn to the digital signal even before it gets to the devialets (Dirac headroom)....

going back to my normal config just illustrated how good the devialets are as amps..Abletec class D had great bass slam but the wide expansive soundstage shrunk a bit.

What I did to match the 2 amps was set the devialets volume to -10 (I think thats where I made my mistake .. it should have been set to my max listening level of +5) and played a 150hz tone and used a multimeter to measure AC voltage at the speaker terminals of the devialet and then the class D ..I used the pre out configuration screen in the configurator to reduce the max V rms till the 2 voltages matched.
I screwed up somewhere ..i'll give it another bash tomorrow

20139879_784768398370430_5209344656699468171_n.jpg

The way it was said to me is to return to dealer and promised a week turn around, I would be amazed at a week to be honest.

They said:

We guarantee we will send your Expert Pro within 10 days after it reaches our atelier. All in all, your system should be away from home for approximately 15 days depending on delivery dates.

I have original D premiers .. a pair.. the big difference was going dual mono vs the single.
I missed the upgrade earlier this year from 500w Dprems to 1000pro ..all I really wanted was the power upgrade .. the rest of the stuff the pro gets is not useful to me

I would beg an upgrade from Dev. Have you tried? I compared the Le 250 to the 250 Pro and there was a noticeable improvement, leading me to buy the latter.

No , I haven't groveled ... I thought the UG program was merely paused till October ... probably cos they want to do the UG and streamer board in one fell swoop..
A lot of folk , including the boss man at my speaker mnfgrs have advised to do the 1000pro thing.. which I will probably ultimately do

Rodney, many thanks for your detailed description. Can the relative level of the pre utputs only be adjusted in configurator or can you do it on the fly with the remote?

A lot of folk , including the boss man at my speaker mnfgrs have advised to do the 1000pro thing.. which I will probably ultimately do

I moved to a Devialet 250 from a Naim 202/200 and ended up reducing the box count down to a turntable, D250 and a Naim NDX for streaming, and it sounded excellent.
...then the 'Pro' series was announced and I thought I was cured of upgraditis but I had a relapse. A phone call was made and a pretty good offer was on the table - trade the D250 in against a D1000 Pro, which I went for.

I'm still less in the box count than I was and the sound is light years ahead. Now Room can talk direct to the Devialet, I can take the streamer out as well which will leave me with the two amps and the turntable.

A few months ago I did think about how good just the original D250 I had sounded and that led to reconfiguring the D1000 Pro as a single unit (essentially a D250 Pro) - the difference from dual mono back to a single integrated stereo was not small, so that experiment didn't last long!

Devialet the company do seem to have a funny way of going about things, and I can see why people get frustrated and fed up with them. That said, the product does sound excellent. As others have said, I'd be inclined to look for a second hand dual mono setup - let someone else take the hit and I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Use my 250 Pro with SHL5+ 40th LE with SAM off and a little subwoofer (REL S/2).

As to SAM .. what really bothered me was when setting up a pals giya G3's , we used LF test tones and with SAM on at a high % .. there were obvious clucking sounds as the bass drivers were limiting , turning down SAM to 15% stopped this.

advertisement

Back