advertisement

Devialet opinions, reflection.

Well, here goes-

2yxhq89.jpg

Just opened the box, still at Le head scratching phase.

Think it is a wise choice. I've really liked Devialet's sound reproduction when I've heard it.

Jack

There was a thread over on the Devialet Chat forum (the place for all things chrome pizza box) about whether us D-owners were still "wowed" by our systems. Here's the essence of what I posted there.
I think the last time I went "wow" was when I moved from Rotel / Monitor Audio to a full-on Naim Olive system (CDX / XPS / 52 / SC / 135 / 135) with Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MKII speakers, all on Mana racks. Ironically, I was also playing the Mana "Eternal Dream" CD which John Watson was demoing his gear with at a Heathrow show. I remember thinking "that is so B A D I want some . . . ".
But that was some years ago in the UK when I was much more anal about this stuff. When we moved to Portugal the whole angle-iron dust magnet racks, Hydra mains cables, black / pink / grey SNAIC interconnect spaghetti, lovely :eek: NACA5 etc. got to me so I looked for a decent single-box solution (and I mean "single" - no outboard phono stages for my LP12) that I could get for around the resale value of my Naim kit. D200 was pretty much the only game in town, had great reviews so I took a punt on a used one here on PFM.
Am I "amazed"? Nope, but I'm now of an age where not much amazes me anyway (although a surprising little Pinot Noir did bring a smile to my face last night). But I am quite happy with what it does, and it does it inconspicuously. I don't want my living space looking like a hi-fi showroom any more. I still think my Naim gear had a greater "boogie / smile factor" but I know many here will disagree.
Bottom line? I think a used D200 is still the sweet spot in the range for a trial, good value for money and easy to move on if it doesn't do it for you.
I'm quite content with mine; it's fed by an LP12 / Dynavector 10X4, Squeezebox Touch (co-ax), MF X-Ray CD transport, Apple TV3 plus Wi-Fi / Air.
A "Pro" upgrade could be interesting for some extra slam but I'm not willing to spend the cash (i.e. pension) 'cos my 60-something year old hearing is now a limiting factor and - at the end of the day - it's only music. :D
I grew up with sex, drugs and rock 'n roll as a mantra; nowadays it's wine, women and song (in equal measures, unless you talk to my wife) as someone once said. I'll drink to that!
Cheers

So how much do you weigh then?

Well, I took your advice, stood on it and peered down at the display (I'm 6'4" so not easy) and I read -

Descendre, gros cochon!

Now I assume the config. is set for mass and not BMI, so I've contacted Devialet to ask them to update their system.

So far so good, created my own config. Copied to the SD card and set SAM to my HLP3ESRs.

Need to reset to my Discoveries, get a single ended arm cable on my TT, buy some speaker cable and try it in the main system where it will dwell.

Looking forward to your impressions. I felt any more than about 5% SAM detracted from the balance of the P3ESRs. 0% (phase correction only, I think) worked well. IMHO etc....

Maybe I missed it but what is it - 200, 220, 170, 130 etc.?
Used, new?

I have used Naim for 37 years but am getting tired of all of those big black boxes etc. I'm taken by the new Nova (if it ever arrives) but doubt it will drive my Obelisks, so Devialet are a major draw for me.

I auditioned a 220 vs. 272/250 recently and that was intriguing: Naim clearly better on some tracks, Devialet on others.

However, a used 200 would come in at far less than a new Nova.

Can't wait to hear your impressions...

It's a used D200. Got it for utilitarian reasons- all in one functionality with reportedly excellent SQ. The real draw is the phono stage (which I've yet to try)- the only thing it doesn't have is a headphone output, though I read that a pair of RCA outputs can be programmed to that function.

I'd been heading down the dac pre/ class D power amp route then pinched myself- Devialet does that and more in one box.
Should get a chance next week to slot it into the main system for some proper comparison.

Yes a one box option is getting more attractive, bit off piste but I have looked at the Vitus with DAC board, bit pricey though.

I tried a 240 back when and found the presentation too 'sparkly' too much emphasis on the higher frequencies to be off putting, like new Super Lumina before it is run it, too jangly.

BUT I hear the newer Devialet are much much better and decent cabling really drives them forward.

Wishing you the best, I too like SteveH mentioned tiring of the NAIM boxes :-(

Different strokes. I went down the Meridian route in the mid 90s for a decade (like Rodney Gold on this thread). They were into this game before anyone with their all in one dsd speakers, but not so good for TT and FM enthusiasts. I swung back to pick n mix- mostly valves, which I love- and I get to hear what my TT and MD tuners can really do.
Now with changing listening habits, the pendulum has swung back for me and Devialet are what Meridian once was, so Devialet I bought.

I'm testing a 440 next week, my dealer is a fan of SAM also so trying Sopra 2 on a 440 be good to hear although some Devialet fans on forums say they aren't such a good match.

Agree it is different strokes too, NDS won for me at that time but I'm looking for something new and a change now also, hence the Vitus.

Sounds like you found your new flavour which is really great news, I'm in a well trodden world of testing and testing which can take time, especially home demo etc.

BUT I hear the newer Devialet are much much better and decent cabling really drives them forward.(

I heard the Le 250 and 250 Pro side by side and there was a significant improvement, so bought the latter. The Le 250 is still excellent, but the new Pro version is something else.

On to the next stage- I've acquired a Melco to integrate with the D200. For years I've blathered about consolidating all my discs onto a server and now is the time. I've been put off by too much choice in interfaces, storage media etc and Melco looks straight forward. I've long dreamt of the day when I could sit on my arse and pull up anything to play from my collection using an iPad.

On to the next stage- I've acquired a Melco to integrate with the D200. For years I've blathered about consolidating all my discs onto a server and now is the time. I've been put off by too much choice in interfaces, storage media etc and Melco looks straight forward. I've long dreamt of the day when I could sit on my arse and pull up anything to play from my collection using an iPad.

I have the Melco N1A connected to 130Pro via USB. I am hoping the new OS streaming board will allow UPnP then I can use the ethernet connection and DSM mode.

I am using Kinsky as a control point app to play from the Melco, also have Minimserver running.

It works fine for me :)

I have the Melco N1A connected to 130Pro via USB. I am hoping the new OS streaming board will allow UPnP then I can use the ethernet connection and DSM mode.

I am using Kinsky as a control point app to play from the Melco, also have Minimserver running.

It works fine for me :)
v Not sure why you want to change from the Melco's USB connection Dan. I reckon the Melco's USB implementation's extremely good.

advertisement

Back