advertisement

Devialet opinions, reflection.

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
I'm still at some point rationalising all my boxes and Devialet looks like a very appealing one box solution for me. The engineering and sheer utility are most impressive The company made a great splash with fulsome praise from reviewers and owners.
I'm wondering what owners opinions/experiences are now, looking back.

My biggest question is around SQ and whether a Devialet amp will satisfy a long term Audio Research/EAR user.

Thoughts appreciated.

I will be interested in this too, as I'm thinking of coming away from valves and vinyl and back to streaming, but I'm still trying to learn and acquaint myself with how the hell it all works again (used to have a Linn DS system)!

From my brief bit of research and chatting to a couple of dealers, it doesn't sound quite as though Devialet is a "one box solution" though. Dealers have mentioned that you'd likely want some kind of streaming bridge to use with it - for example (from what I can gather), I don't think it would pull files from a NAS itself.

Most reports and reviews seem to point to excellent sound (if to taste), with crystal clear clarity and masses of power on reserve. I'm looking forward to seeing one in action for myself at some point.

I'd be more concerned about their support offering - for how long are their products supported before they become landfill?

I thought it sounded great, but was put off by it being one box. If it's well (and financially reasonably) supported going forward, fine, but if not any part of it failing will render it a pain.

A friend of mine borrowed one to try as his old Audio Research had 'given up the ghost'. He has decided not to buy. I suspect someone used to Audio Research/EAR might not be satisfied.

After 20 years of happy Naim ownership I jumped ship to Devialet last year. Had a lovely 252/300 system which I was more than happy with.
Managed to set up a Devialet dem at home and was hooked - SQ was tops for me, incredible dynamics.
Now happy and proud owner of a pair of 400 monoblocs configured to my own personal taste. Is there any other audio gear that you can configure in this way?

The downside however is their customer service- full details all over the Devialet forum - promises of new software yet to materialise etc.

The pod speaker things may well be a technological tour de force, but are not that great to my ears so I can't comment on them

I’ve had a Devialet for four years. I recently decided to go active, so will be moving the Devialet on. But if I were still using passive speakers, I’d definitely hang on to it. Or in the unlikely event that after selling it, I decided to return to passives, Devialet’s the first place I’d go for new amp.

Insofar as the Devialet might sound different from other SS amps, you may or may not like it. Those of us who do like Devialet tend to talk about transparency, clarity etc. Some people say, admiringly, that the Devialet has no sound. Make of that what you will.

As for the whole “one box that does it all” thing, there have been problems with the AIR networking protocol that should enable the Devialet to stream files from a PC/NAS/whatever wirelessly or over Ethernet. Some people say those problems have now been resolved.

The new PRO models have taken a different approach to streaming. Devialet have promised a streamer board to be released soon. Who knows how good it’ll be or what exactly it’ll do? I’d like to think that after copping so much flak over AIR, Devialet may have got their shit together this time.

There are other source options. If you’re happy to have a NAS in reasonably close proximity, you can connect the NAS direct to the Devialet via USB and use whatever music player will work on your NAS, controlled from an iThing.

The internal phono stage has been extremely well implemented. Just dial in the make and model of your cartridge, and the Devialet will make the appropriate settings. There are some folk who use this with very serious TT rigs and really like it.

The SAM system is also clever. Opinions are divided over how much difference it makes, and obviously it’ll all depend on what speakers you use.

I may be biased , but I am a happy Devialet owner .. As you can see I run a real simple system. Steamer/amps/speakers .. almost no cables...

I got a message from ROON that the next build is going to support AIR directly , IE see the Devialets as endpoints?? I could get rid of the Squeezebox and make it even simpler..a true all in one

Mine are 5 years old , and for a fraction of the price of a 1000p new , I can get to upgrade my old d premiers to a 1000p top of the range system , so essentially get their latest offering and a new 5 yr warranty..all they keep is the casing..I get completely new internals and a whole lot more

My d premiers sounded stunning on my Giya G1's and even better on my new G1 spirits

I think you may well be impressed as a valve user as they trounced the VTL mb 450 signatures I initially heard my G1 spirit speakers demoed on at their launch a month or so back.. had the same treble purity and midrange magic but about 100x the bass control

After 20 years of happy Naim ownership I jumped ship to Devialet last year. Had a lovely 252/300 system which I was more than happy with.
Managed to set up a Devialet dem at home and was hooked - SQ was tops for me, incredible dynamics.
Now happy and proud owner of a pair of 400 monoblocs configured to my own personal taste. Is there any other audio gear that you can configure in this way?

The downside however is their customer service- full details all over the Devialet forum - promises of new software yet to materialise etc.

The pod speaker things may well be a technological tour de force, but are not that great to my ears so I can't comment on them

Never heard a devialet but I have heard the 252 on a home demo with my 300dr and it was so dull to my ears. Maybe it wasn't hard to find something more dynamic sounding.

you cannot go wrong with devialet combo. their built in dac is also good.

go for it, but dont sell your audioresearch before comparing. hard to beat Audio research amps.

I've owned 400's for over two years.

Before them I've owned enormous quantities of some of the highest rated amplification products on the planet.

The Devialets got me off the gravy train. Job Done thanks.

It's got a very small chassis, how do they fit the valves in it?

I'm still at some point rationalising all my boxes and Devialet looks like a very appealing one box solution for me. The engineering and sheer utility are most impressive The company made a great splash with fulsome praise from reviewers and owners.
I'm wondering what owners opinions/experiences are now, looking back.

My biggest question is around SQ and whether a Devialet amp will satisfy a long term Audio Research/EAR user.

Thoughts appreciated.

no .....but only you can listen and decide with your ears !!

How about the phono stage? Has anyone compared it with good quality mc phono stages? I still use a TT a fair bit.

I know quite a few folk using TT's with Devialets ..some swear by the phono section .. others use a dedicated phono pre .... The guys with the real high end TT and carts seem to be the ones in favour of a dedicated pre. They don't mind subjecting it's output to an ADDA (analog input into a Devialet is always converted to digital and then back)

advertisement

Back