advertisement

Devialet opinions, reflection.

listened to 272 into ATC 40 actives, nice and very tempting but bulky and not so room friendly size wise.
I can't seem the point of using a 272 into actives with an xlr input. a sensible streamer into a decent dac with a differential output all the way from the modulators to the speakers makes much more sense, will have a better UI and can cost half the price. The dealer who sold me my ATCs suggested a 272. I think he was surprised by my reaction.

I can't seem the point of using a 272 into actives with an xlr input. a sensible streamer into a decent dac with a differential output all the way from the modulators to the speakers makes much more sense, will have a better UI and can cost half the price. The dealer who sold me my ATCs suggested a 272. I think he was surprised by my reaction.

Far too technical for me. There was a review in HI FI plus 272/ATC 40 actives and was curious. Sounded very good actually but her in doors wouldn't have been keen on the ATC's, also was getting the ATC's for a great price. If I were single I may have purchased them, having said that the expert 220 into my Harbeths was excellent and sealed the deal.

TheDecameron , You can only turn the pre output on or off via the remote , you cant set the level of the output on the fly

I use 400's into JBL. It got me off the wagon.

Naim actually is a wagon all on itself and something of a roller coaster ride.

Customer service is fine. The are a few people on Devialet forum who like to complain a lot.

Sounds like it was for you! There are a lot of 'customers' on the Devialet forum that had a lot to legitimately complain about - that's why there was such an increase in 'complaining'. The fact that some encountered good service doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

That said they are making noises like they're trying to be better, even if their focus is no longer hifi.

FWIW I traded my 200 for a 250pro and think it's significantly better. I would definitely go for a pro.

The new streamerboard (aka Core Infinity) is probably worth having even though we still don't have full specs. Rumours of it being RoonReady abound. Plus other convenience features such as Bluetooth, better wifi, and tie ins with services like Qobuz.

One thing that I am keen on is then new Core Infinity OS streaming board will give the Devialet UPnP capability, this should allow me to connect my Melco N1A directly and also allow me to playback in its DSM player mode, which reduces the noise floor another level for me.

I am awaiting delivery of my 220 expert, it does seem strange that it will not come already fitted with the new OS board pre fitted, so have to return it in October for updating. Bit of a bind.

I am awaiting delivery of my 220 expert, it does seem strange that it will not come already fitted with the new OS board pre fitted, so have to return it in October for updating. Bit of a bind.

Bit of a pain that. Devialet's update process is pretty smooth though. I had my 120 upgraded to a 220 Pro at the start of the year. After booking a slot, UPS collected my amp and 14 days later as promised the UPS man was back with my 'new' amp. Hopefully the process will be just as smooth for the new board. Enjoy your 220 when you get it - it's a fantastic piece of kit :)

Bit of a pain that. Devialet's update process is pretty smooth though. I had my 120 upgraded to a 220 Pro at the start of the year. After booking a slot, UPS collected my amp and 14 days later as promised the UPS man was back with my 'new' amp. Hopefully the process will be just as smooth for the new board. Enjoy your 220 when you get it - it's a fantastic piece of kit :)

Sounds good to me, pardon the pun.

Sounds like it was for you! There are a lot of 'customers' on the Devialet forum that had a lot to legitimately complain about - that's why there was such an increase in 'complaining'. The fact that some encountered good service doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

That said they are making noises like they're trying to be better, even if their focus is no longer hifi.

FWIW I traded my 200 for a 250pro and think it's significantly better. I would definitely go for a pro.

The new streamerboard (aka Core Infinity) is probably worth having even though we still don't have full specs. Rumours of it being RoonReady abound. Plus other convenience features such as Bluetooth, better wifi, and tie ins with services like Qobuz.

Seeing I use Qobuz about 75% of the time, my server 20% of the time and phono 5% of the time, the new Core board is vital, as it should allow me to get rid of my Auralic streamer. The specifications are very clear - good fast wifi, Qobuz, unPnp and more.

I don't use Roon and never will. Apparently something happened there that lots of people were happy about.

I politely and discretely kept in touch with Devialet about OS and they always replied promptly and informatively.

Seeing I use Qobuz about 75% of the time, my server 20% of the time and phono 5% of the time, the new Core board is vital, as it should allow me to get rid of my Auralic streamer. The specifications are very clear - good fast wifi, Qobuz, unPnp and more.

I don't use Roon and never will. Apparently something happened there that lots of people were happy about.

I politely and discretely kept in touch with Devialet about OS and they always replied promptly and informatively.

I use Qobuz also, I am new to ROON and found the odd quirk for my way of using it, but it does seem very interactive and thorough, still working out if it is for me ultimately I am probably too used to using control apps and folder views :)

Because?

.sjb

Because Qobuz are not interested in Roon and vice versa. Qobuz is just brilliant for classical and jazz, unlike Tidal. Qobuz decided to expand their metadata their on way, with biographies and booklets. For classical, the booklet is most important. I don't need a piece of software making random musical suggestions.

i don't need the multi-room side of Roon either. I have main and office systems, Devialet with Qobuz onboard will do the main system, I have an Aries Mini with Qobuz in the office.

As for MQA, it's a lossy filter-thing with a lot of marketing. A fraud really. The compression may help some people with slow wifi, by Qobuz streams 24/96 mostly and DSD in October.

So what has Roon to offer me? To run it I would need to buy a dedicated computer.

I’m sitting in the room I first set my new D200 up in two years ago. Two broken ankles and plenty of time to kill at the time! Then it was through a pair of s3/5Rs, now after a long gap where the D200 drove WB Discos in a far bigger space, it’s back in the much smaller room driving Spendor D1s. The SAM function squeezes a remarkable amount of LF (within the laws of physics) out of these tiny speakers. The sound is great.
After two years of ownership I’m as delighted with the Devialet as I was at the start. It’s given me the best resolution I’ve had from any system I’ve owned. Recently I’ve considered going further up the Chord dac ladder having been well impressed with a dem of the Dave/ M-scaler but I’m not keen on multiple little boxes with psu’s and the vagaries of analogue amps in the chain, so I’m thinking about more Devialet - particularly with dual mono in mind. Any impressions from those who’ve done this or moved to a bigger pro, CI single box?

This story may or may not be relevant to you, but since it involves an actual experience of going dual mono with Devialet, I'll inflict it on you anyway. It's complex and there are some twists and turns ...

Several years ago I was using a D200 to drive Martin Logan Montis. I became disillusioned with the rather anaemic balance of the system. So I set up a comparison: I borrowed a slave D200 from my local dealer, so as to run the Devialets dual mono, and I compared the D400 dual mono config with a Sanders Magtech power amp. The dual mono config didn't seem to drive the MLs any better than the D200. However, the Magtech turned the MLs into the wonderfully full, rich holographic speakers that they should be.

I say this story isn't relevant to you, because there is a known issue with Devialets driving electrostatic speakers that have vanishingly low impedance at high frequencies. This won't apply to your speakers. Even so, I did find it interesting that going dual mono made no difference.

I should also say that I still have the D200, and it's now driving a pair of JBL 4429s, to wonderful effect. I rate the D200 + JBL combo very highly.

Recently, in a weird mid-life crisis, I bought a second pair of the JBL 4429s. So I now have two systems with same JBL speakers. One pair is driven by the D200, the other by a 400WPC Hypex power amp (from Nord Acoustics). TBH I don't think I can tell any difference between the two amps. They're both outstanding. In other words, I'm not sure the extra watts of the Hypex amp make any difference, and I certainly wouldn't think of spending my readies on turning the D200 into a D400.

Thanks for sharing your experience Matt. I use hypex and icepower amps in other systems and I’m a fan of them. They’ve been variously fronted by chord Hugo 2, NAD M51 dac, Lindemann SACD and ARC REF (now sold) and Ayre preamps. I get a huge sound stage and dynamics with them driving WB Discovries in a big room but the one thing none of this lot can do is provide the sheer transparency and resolution of fine detail that the D200 provides and I’m greedy for more! I can understand why some will not like the house sound of Devialet but to me it’s become like crack cocaine. I’m keeping the other set ups for mostly analogue sources- turntable and FM tuners but I’m looking to beef up the Devialet wing.

Doesn’t surprise me that going dual mono wouldn’t make an audible difference. The single Devialet amps already have plenty of power and S/N ratio for normal living rooms. Unless you’re playing so loud that you’re clipping the single Devialet, why would adding more power in a separate chassis be audible?

Sounds like wasting money for sake of it. I suppose if someone spends big money on an extra Devialet to go dual mono, they might assume you get what you pay for and therefore perceive an improvement, but I can’t see how it would be a real improvement using human ears as the arbiter.

I heard a D200 (with SAM enabled) with some Harbeth P3ESR speakers and it was superb. Used my Nagra CD transport via AES for the demo.

[...] I get a huge sound stage and dynamics with them driving WB Discovries in a big room but the one thing none of this lot can do is provide the sheer transparency and resolution of fine detail that the D200 provides and I’m greedy for more! I can understand why some will not like the house sound of Devialet but to me it’s become like crack cocaine.

The question I'd be asking myself is whether going dual mono will in fact give more of the transparency/resolution, or just more power? And if the latter, is the increase in power actually going to be used? Sounds like only a home demo is going to answer those questions.

advertisement

Back