advertisement

DC Blocker GB closing soon

Excuse my ignorance, is DC on the mains such a big problem or something that depends where you live ? I mentioned it to my soldering sparky engineer mate and he says it is negligible here in the Canaries ( 4 decimal percentage) and that anyway if there is a transformer at the input it will effectively "block by ignoring" everything that is not AC. I have only 2 toroidals in my system but quite hefty ( Norton Air Power for my LP12 and the one in my Sugden A21Se) , the rest are R-cores or ad-hoc potted rectangulars for my phono stage. Worth a shot ?
If you have it, you will know. I had a humming power amp, sold it, new owner never had a problem. It's more correctly termed "DC offset" and I can bore you with the details of why it makes trafos hum, but it's not very interesting nless you are science-minded. If you have no humming trafos (a physical hum, not audio) then it may help.If not, waste of time and money.

Here's mine, fairly simple and straighforward. I use it to power 3 linear power supplies I've built and it works a treat, no hummmmmmmm :

dc_1.jpg

dc_2.jpg

dc_3.jpg

just about to order parts to finally build this, spec calls for 600V,6A diodes, what are people actually using?

I have a nice big reel of old style non PC solder that melts easily so no problem.

advertisement

Back