advertisement

DC Blocker GB closing soon

I've tried several times to register but I get stuck in a loop on the wiki page when I try to register. I put in the code at the bottom of the page and it just keeps asking over and over to enter the code - no error message is shown

Not sure, perhaps maybe.
———
Have you fitted yours Paul? The DC blocker that is, not the TMQID

Well thanks to the heatwave I haven’t recently spent any time in my listening room. However, it has cooled a little and I’ve finally managed to plug my DC blocker into the system. As far as I can tell it has indeed quelled the hum of my amps. I say ‘as far as I can tell’ because the hum comes and goes so it’s possible it just hasn’t manifested yet. It’s early days but it may even be having a beneficial effect in that ambience and micro detail seem better resolved than ever; certainly dynamic contrast and deep bass don’t seem to have suffered (which was a concern).

Last edited:
Yup doing all of the above, I'm well impressed. Far exceeded any expectations I had having tried the 'baby' version before.

Though as I have some 15 transformers in my system maybe less excitement for them means more excitement for me :)

Excuse my ignorance, is DC on the mains such a big problem or something that depends where you live ? I mentioned it to my soldering sparky engineer mate and he says it is negligible here in the Canaries ( 4 decimal percentage) and that anyway if there is a transformer at the input it will effectively "block by ignoring" everything that is not AC. I have only 2 toroidals in my system but quite hefty ( Norton Air Power for my LP12 and the one in my Sugden A21Se) , the rest are R-cores or ad-hoc potted rectangulars for my phono stage. Worth a shot ?

Excuse my ignorance, is DC on the mains such a big problem or something that depends where you live ? I mentioned it to my soldering sparky engineer mate and he says it is negligible here in the Canaries ( 4 decimal percentage) and that anyway if there is a transformer at the input it will effectively "block by ignoring" everything that is not AC. I have only 2 toroidals in my system but quite hefty ( Norton Air Power for my LP12 and the one in my Sugden A21Se) , the rest are R-cores or ad-hoc potted rectangulars for my phono stage. Worth a shot ?

Ive had problems with humming toroids in several beefy Power Amps and I've built my own DC Blockers, which pretty much eliminate all the 'Growl and Hum'.

The Large American/Canadian Toroidals designed for 60 HZ are the most sensitive in the UK as the 50HZ makes them work harder.

The amount of DC varies from property to property, the National Grid, Appliances, neighbours and time of day, so I would say give a DC Blocker a try.

advertisement

Back