advertisement

dŵr & Friends (how not to build a turntable).

What you have achieved is remarkable.
I'd like to see it reviewed by a professional journalist in a hi-fi magazine, like HFW.
It deserves a few pages, and I'm pretty certain Noel would love to review it because its genesis is in the mag's DNA.

May I ask for a pointer as to the software you use to measure TT performance ?

By all means. I currently use two iOS applications via a calibrated iPhone X - VibSensor and Vibroscope. The graphs I post are straight out of VibSensor, which allows, following a one-time fee, that raw data is exported for further processing.

Actually been looking into using ARTA in conjunction with integrated accelerometers, but haven't gotten around to it.

Thank you for your enthusiasm making me delve deeper.

That is very kind - much appreciated.

Well that is just a fabulous piece of engineering!

Many thanks. :)

What you have achieved is remarkable.
I'd like to see it reviewed by a professional journalist in a hi-fi magazine, like HFW.

Many thanks - I would love to hear further opinions, of course - but it is virtually impossible since any reviewer would want it in their home, and the logistics of this monstrosity being shipped anywhere are just too cost-prohibitive. :(

We had some rain lately. Meaning, temperatures go down. Meaning, some work can be done.

To take you a few pages back, when I completed the "new" motor pod, I also did a so called vanity motor cover, in the vein of Micro Seiki, to ensure that mounting screws, pulleys, and belt flex remain hidden, so that the visual focus is locked to the platter rotating. What that looked like, in more detail, can be ascertained here:

JhdeEUC.jpg

However, due to rim drive implementation, I had to (1) make a new pulley and (2) add a new, smaller belt with a lower transfer ratio, leading to a narrower belt flex angle. A direct result of said changes is that the current motor cover is practically unusable. Furthermore, the rim drive additionally helps reduce visual distractions by eliminating the belt around the platter, so the missing motor cover irritated me immensely (first world problems, I know).

To aid you from having to scroll through earlier posts, here is what the rim drive looked like without said motor cover:

tbZVJR2.jpg

Unlike the existing motor cover, I decided to go the way of POM as opposed to aluminium. Apart from deciding that white POM matches the rest of the turntable aesthetically (by adding proper contrast), a more important reason is the minor problem I experienced with the earlier motor cover, as described here (The aluminium cover acted as a horn and amplified the pulley noise to the point of bother during quiet passages). POM has a different damping range, so that issue should be, at the very least, decreased.

Once machining has been completed, the new cover looks suspiciosly similar to an ashtray:

RbWg9lr.jpg

Yet after being put in place, the world is now at peace:

FwfgmgQ.jpg

There is no inherent noise due to the cover, no added vibration due to the soft coupling, and the eye sore is gone, so there is that.

Onwards and upwards.

Wow, almost a year since I haven't updated this. I kind of promised myself I would settle down and just listen to the music...

...but had to do some (albeit not very complicated) work.

P5jqysT.jpg

I changed the "pucks" under the feet of both the turntable and the electronics box to this "new" design. Originally, had aluminium (6082) pucks with integrated Si3N4 ceramic balls (8mm diameter) in a triangular fashion to simulate a kinematic bearing.

These new designs actually consist of two halves, machined from POM (Delrin) housing free-running ceramic balls. Each "puck" has 5 loose ceramic balls (4mm diameter) in a circular recess.

Now, was it worth it to replace the previous design seeing that the system was quite impervious to vibrations? If I was buying them at audiophile prices, I would honestly have to say no. There may be some audible deadening when doing the "knock test", if knocking on turntables is your thing.

But, and there is always a bit, working on the turntable did give me further ideas on possible cosmetic and/or functional upgrades. To that effect:
  1. I am having all bronze parts (sans the two full bronze bearings) nickel-plated (matt surface). I liked how a few samples turned out having them sandblasted, then nickel plated - and also, the TiN plating is not holding up with age;
  2. I came across (OK, fine, I ordered) a block of 6082 alloy with dimensions 340mm x 340mm x 110mm which may lend itself to a radicaly redesigned platter.
Updates will be posted in due course, as I complete them.

Last edited:
So then...

...back from nickel plating:

Image-from-i-OS-3.jpg

And once back together:

Image-from-i-OS-2.jpg

I think I prefer the "closer to OEM" look.

Also - took the chance to review the knife edge bearings on both tonearms, and the tonearm yoke, but there was no need for intervention on either - happy sailing.

Last edited:
You are too kind.

I am typically very clumsy, but I love working on audio related things and I push through.

Since I started this, I have found again and again deep respect for people who do this (design and build audio equipment) for a living.

Impressive feat of engineering...wonderful aesthetically.

Have you thought about designing a new vinyl replay system- or method- from scratch?

eguth

Much appreciated @eguth.

I still dabble in the conventional, especially due to the fact that a record reproduction sub-system needs to fit in with other components in a standard audio system. I am nowhere near the skill required to tackle, for example, the business end of a tonearm (whether it be a coil cartridge or anything else).

There are avenues I would still like to very much research, but I am holding back due to (mostly) lack of time and (mainly) restrictions by my significant other ("there shall be no air compressors anywhere in the home unless absolutely silent").

I've actually had an eye on the NewWay bushings every since Kuzma released the AirLine...

...but the air supply is problematic, since it needs to be silent.

Astounding levels of artistry and engineering prowess, thank you for posting it provides something for us mere mortals to aspire to.
You should post this on Instagram so others may enjoy.

I've actually had an eye on the NewWay bushings every since Kuzma released the AirLine...

...but the air supply is problematic, since it needs to be silent.
I could be wrong, but couldn't you locate a small compressor (aquarium type) in a closet, adjacent room, attic, etc. and run a long tube to where you need the air? It could even have a large reservoir (plastic jug?) along the way to buffer the air and make pressure more constant. It could be pretty silent that way, and you could use a smart plug to control it wirelessly...

You are not wrong, @booja30.

But I live in a flat with an open plan, in the vertical center of the building, so could utilize no basement nor attic. I could perhaps do with a closet, but will have to negotiate. :D

advertisement

Back