advertisement

Curmudgeon Corner

I’m slowly but surely deciding I can’t be arsed to enter into a debate and, in some cases, disagree with folk passing an observation or opinion I don’t agree with…
Yes, I get this. There’s a realisation that actually changing somebody’s mind, or opening them up to valid alternative positions, happens very rarely. So it’s mostly wasted effort and emotional energy.

Ever pulled up at the recycling area and watched someone (usually a lady, it has to be said), usually in an MPV (it has to be said), spend an age struggling to get countless cardboard boxes out of said vehicle, when not one single one has been broken-down/flattened? When all the boxes would have fitted in a Mini boot if flattened, and would have taken up just as much room in the skip?

What do we reckon the average load in a waste paper/card container is? 10% the weight of the container itself? Less?

Since the weather here is warm..though somewhat cloudy..at least 15 peaceful law abiding households are ..with tedious predictability. ..being 'treated' to the entertainment provided by the cretin at the end of the next street. He thinks he's a DJ because he has some cheap PA speakers that go loud and completely mangle bass into a droning mess.
We know him as Thick Boy Dim. a.k.a. DJBraindead.

There was a wedding afoot at the church where we stopped for lunch. They had perfect weather for it, and everyone seemed very jolly. Lovely.

Er, excuse me but would you take your positivity and sunny outlook elsewhere, please? This is curmudgeon corner.
I reckon crashing someone’s wedding reception could be described as curmudgeonly, at a pinch.

Having spent the weekend watching the footie it's time for some sporting-related gripes:
  • Video montages (or whatever you call them). You know the ones - camera shot changing 2 or 3 times a second, flickery effects on the video and over-excited commentators shouting at you. Supposed to convey excitement I'm told, but feels to me like being held in front of a strobe light and repeatedly punched in the head.
  • The cartoon drawings of players in match previews.
  • Pundits talking of 'your Harry Kanes and your Manchester Uniteds'. I reckon they even imagine a grocer's apostrophe in there.
  • Pathetic post-match questions, usually of the 'How do you feel...?' variety.
  • 'They'll be hoping to do better/take maximum points' pearls of wisdom.
  • Barrel-scraping statistics, a la 'this is the first time in 20 years that a Ukranian left back has taken a foul throw in the second half of a Euros' group match.
  • Slow motion footage of a manager clapping or player throwing a water bottle to the ground.

I reckon crashing someone’s wedding reception could be described as curmudgeonly, at a pinch.

Being British we just lurked in the background. Mrs H moved to a different bench in the churchyard for a better view of the bridal party and guests, but being a bloke I stayed where I was and took no interest in the proceedings.

Having spent the weekend watching the footie it's time for some sporting-related gripes:
  • Video montages (or whatever you call them). You know the ones - camera shot changing 2 or 3 times a second, flickery effects on the video and over-excited commentators shouting at you. Supposed to convey excitement I'm told, but feels to me like being held in front of a strobe light and repeatedly punched in the head.
  • The cartoon drawings of players in match previews.
  • Pundits talking of 'your Harry Kanes and your Manchester Uniteds'. I reckon they even imagine a grocer's apostrophe in there.
  • Pathetic post-match questions, usually of the 'How do you feel...?' variety.
  • 'They'll be hoping to do better/take maximum points' pearls of wisdom.
  • Barrel-scraping statistics, a la 'this is the first time in 20 years that a Ukranian left back has taken a foul throw in the second half of a Euros' group match.
  • Slow motion footage of a manager clapping or player throwing a water bottle to the ground.

I watch it with the sound turned off. Far less irritating.

Being British we just lurked in the background. Mrs H moved to a different bench in the churchyard for a better view of the bridal party and guests, but being a bloke I stayed where I was and took no interest in the proceedings.
I see. I thought you had only decided to stop there for lunch after catching a glimpse of the Wedding Fayre on offer.

Ugh, just been to the shops, something I've done remarkably well at avoiding the last year or so.

What is it with these f--kwits who just walk out into the road without looking? Or even worse the ones who do look, see you in your oncoming vehicle and still walk out. Always with an air of arrogance too, and usually not shy of giving a load of verbal back when you remind them that in future it may be better to look.

If people are leaving it up to drivers whether they live or not could we in return please have the freedom to decide their fate? Joking of course, but god is it annoying.

And filter lanes for people turning right and the lazy types who turn out of the road you are trying to go into but swing way too wide and drive into the filter lane, then give you a load of verbal when you hit the horn or remind them what those white lines are for.

See also car parks littered with empty food packaging, plastic cups and abandoned shopping trollies. Food taken out of a fridge and left on the floor or just randomely around the shop.

Oh yeah, and face masks worn under the chin. I've just had one of these wonders in Costco decide that the way I put my shopping on the conveyor belt clearly wasn't adequate so moved it, then took my trolly from me, put his hands all over it and gave it back to me. I'm not paranoid about transmission this way but the bloke served zero purpose.

More updates when I next go out, which I hope will be a loooong time hence.

The stupid man who nearly got a smack in the chops in B & Q today.

Even the woman cashier who served me reckoned he was a wrong ‘un.

Good job I was actually trying to control my responses to bad manners and/or downright wilful prickery.
The Wife would have been proud. In fact, if The Wife had been there, she would have laid into him. Wife is not shy at expressing her opinion in a forthright manner. Ever.

People who believe that because they always drive below the speed limit they are A Good Driver. Especially the subset who think that this gives them permission to sit in the outside lane of a motorway or dual carriageway at 69 mph and make no attempt to move to the left, even when a half mile gap to the next vehicle emerges.

advertisement

Back