advertisement

Curmudgeon Corner

I couldn't really hear much of the wedding, but the music was of a noodly jazz variety. 'Here Comes The Bride' as arranged by Dave Brubeck.

People who believe that because they always drive below the speed limit they are A Good Driver. Especially the subset who think that this gives them permission to sit in the outside lane of a motorway or dual carriageway at 69 mph and make no attempt to move to the left, even when a half mile gap to the next vehicle emerges.

Worse, the 'cruise control mentality'. Get stuck behind someone doing 40 on a clear road with a 60 limit. I couldn't overtake as there are lots of bends on the road and is a favourite of enthusiastic drivers and bikers (so you never know what's around the bend: Yamaha, Porsche or John Deere). Hit one of the villages and slow to the 30 limit and 'Driving Miss Daisy' keeps on at 40... :mad:

People who believe that because they always drive below the speed limit they are A Good Driver. Especially the subset who think that this gives them permission to sit in the outside lane of a motorway or dual carriageway at 69 mph and make no attempt to move to the left, even when a half mile gap to the next vehicle emerges.
Seventy in the middle lane with no traffic in sight to the left is my favourite. Because that’s the slow lane to the left and I’m not going slowly. There could be a lorry a couple of miles ahead, and then I’d have to pull out again. Anyway, I’m travelling at the speed limit, so go faster than me and you are breaking the law!

The person who comes up behind me on the motorway when I’m overtaking in the middle lane and just sits there right on my bumper

Worse, the 'cruise control mentality'. Get stuck behind someone doing 40 on a clear road with a 60 limit. I couldn't overtake as there are lots of bends on the road and is a favourite of enthusiastic drivers and bikers (so you never know what's around the bend: Yamaha, Porsche or John Deere). Hit one of the villages and slow to the 30 limit and 'Driving Miss Daisy' keeps on at 40... :mad:

Don't you just love them????

Regards

Richard

Nothing wrong with cruise control, probably saves a lot of speeding fines. I do find the reluctance of some to use the outside one rather odd; they prefer to tailgate in the middle lane.

Nothing wrong with cruise control, probably saves a lot of speeding fines. I do find the reluctance of some to use the outside one rather odd; they prefer to tailgate in the middle lane.
Back in the day the number of drivers I pulled over who didn't understand the rules and conventions of motorway driving were significant. Either that, or they were trying one on...

Nothing wrong with cruise control, probably saves a lot of speeding fines.

As I spend most of my time on motorways with a lot of 50 zones and dual carriageways it's essential IMHO. I used it for shorthand for someone who drives at a constant, nearly always inappropriate, speed.

Back in the day the number of drivers I pulled over who didn't understand the rules and conventions of motorway driving were significant. Either that, or they were trying one on...
Indeed. Section 1 Road Traffic Act, IIRC: vehicles must drive on the left, and keep to the left on dual carriageways, etc, where possible. I don’t get why driving schools don’t drum this into people more.

I used it for shorthand for someone who drives at a constant, nearly always inappropriate, speed.
My cruise control does this to me quite often. After a spell of daydreaming/listening to music/admiring the scenery I’ll feel that I don’t seem to be making progress as quickly as I should, then realise that on an otherwise deserted motorway the radar has latched onto a Fiat 500 in the distance and has slowed me down to a matching 50 for the last half hour. As indicated on the dashboard by a tiny icon that I can’t see because I don’t have my reading specs on.

Don't get me started about the f**king digital nannies on my car (radar cruise, lane assist, automatically slowing down near bends it thinks can't be traversed at 50...) which I can't turn off.

Don't get me started about the f**king digital nannies on my car (radar cruise, lane assist, automatically slowing down near bends it thinks can't be traversed at 50...) which I can't turn off.
I quite enjoyed Lane Assist when I had it on an automatic. I never used it as intended, but it was fun playing Autonomous Vehicle for a few seconds until the car sussed you weren’t taking things seriously enough. I was told you could fool the system by stuffing a bottle of water between the gaps on the steering wheel to simulate the pressure of your fingers, but I never tried it.

I quite enjoyed Lane Assist when I had it on an automatic. I never used it as intended, but it was fun playing Autonomous Vehicle for a few seconds until the car sussed you weren’t taking things seriously enough. I was told you could fool the system by stuffing a bottle of water between the gaps on the steering wheel to simulate the pressure of your fingers, but I never tried it.

Sounds like mine. If I drive down a straight bit of dual carriageway with cruise set at 70...*BONG!* LANE ASSIST - PLEASE PUT HANDS ON WHEEL... *BING!* TAKE A REST! *CLANG!* - AUDI PRE-ASSIST ENGAGED... A man can't even tailgate nowadays...

Welcome to the future. They're softening us up for self-driving cars. I've set my driver assistance to 'individual', which basically means that most of it is switched off :)

Indeed. Section 1 Road Traffic Act, IIRC: vehicles must drive on the left, and keep to the left on dual carriageways, etc, where possible. I don’t get why driving schools don’t drum this into people more.
Yes. Drives me nuts in ‘smart’ motorways where people just shift to the right and hog lane 3 rather than the middle lane.

Mind you, the problem is always with people who shift to the right

advertisement

Back