advertisement

Curmudgeon Corner

Snufkin

pfm Member
In the spirit of finding things to do I thought it might be about time those of us with curmudgeonly tendencies had a thread. There are plenty of examples on PFM but often the perfectly rational, curmudgeonly response to a topic is disparaged in some way. Earlier on today I noticed a reasonable response to the subject of the Pet Shop Boys - 'I can't stand Pet Shop Boy's... I mean REALLY hate pretty much anything they have done... not too sure why...'. A perfect example of embryonic or latent curmudgeonliness.

The Pet Shop Boys comment, and I am sure they have their fans, makes an excellent start to Curmudgeon Corner. I will now add the Reverend Richard Coles, and I am sure he also has his fans. I love Radio 4 and have been listening to it most of my life but the Reverend Coles comes onto the radio at 9:00am on a Saturday morning with his slightly slimy and sycophantic interviews and he just puts my back up. How can such an apparently well meaning and mild mannered individual illicit such a reaction from me, I have no idea but there you go.

What sets off your inner curmudgeon?

People not doing the blatantly obvious right thing, and making a conscious choice to do the wrong thing.

e.g. dropping litter.

and Stacey Dooley

I live at the end of what is basically a privately owned dirt track. I share an access to our properties at the end of that track with my neighbour.
This morning, a couple meandered up, having obviously been for a jog, and proceeded along my "drive" (not uncommon, on occasion we have had groups of hikers and the like who think that they can meander as they will).

"Excuse me, can I ask where you think you are going?"

She was pleasant enough and explained that they were looking at my neighbour's property. (It is for sale)

He came out with a mouthful including that they would maybe come back when I had got out of bed the right side. As they disappeared I pointed out that I always got out of bed the same side and they should not be out, and have a nice day.

THAT gets/got my goat. Is it curmudgeonly? I very much suspect that he thought so.

[...] I will now add the Reverend Richard Coles, and I am sure he also has his fans. I love Radio 4 and have been listening to it most of my life but the Reverend Coles comes onto the radio at 9:00am on a Saturday morning with his slightly slimy and sycophantic interviews and he just puts my back up. How can such an apparently well meaning and mild mannered individual illicit such a reaction from me, I have no idea but there you go.

Indeed, Saturday morning is turn-over to Radio 3 time.
https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/what-sends-you-leaping-for-the-off-switch.223525/

I like Richy baby, but I am curse mudge eon about a lot of things, but unashamed idiots really wind me up tight.
Local radio quiz show is a fine example. One chosen phone caller a day gets to play. Today, it's 'Andy'.

"Hi Andy!!!!!, and how do you think you'll do today?"
"Dunno mate. OK?"
"Right. Well here we go...good luck Andy!"
grunting noise
"Q 1. Who had a hit in 1967 with 'Penny lane'?"
"Led Zepplin?"
"Q2 now Andy. In which country does the capital have the empire state building?"
Andy, sounding confident..."New York!"
"Right...now Q3! In which famous battle did Nelson die?"
"Errm...Dunkirk?"
sound of muted laughter from the studio
"Q 4 now Andy so take your time. A leaf from which tree appears on the symbol for the national Trust?"
Andy. "I know this...erm...erm...Oh, Acorn!!!!"
"Well now Andy this is the last question. Good luck. Which bird is traditionally associated with wisdom?"
Something in Andy's miswired brain suddenly connects...round three corners, and across a serious short out but connection there is...
Andy: "The Early Bird!!"

I like Richy baby, but I am curse mudge eon about a lot of things, but unashamed idiots really wind me up tight.
Local radio quiz show is a fine example. One chosen phone caller a day gets to play. Today, it's 'Andy'.

"Hi Andy!!!!!, and how do you think you'll do today?"
"Dunno mate. OK?"
"Right. Well here we go...good luck Andy!"
grunting noise
"Q 1. Who had a hit in 1967 with 'Penny lane'?"
"Led Zepplin?"
"Q2 now Andy. In which country does the capital have the empire state building?"
Andy, sounding confident..."New York!"
"Right...now Q3! In which famous battle did Nelson die?"
"Errm...Dunkirk?"
sound of muted laughter from the studio
"Q 4 now Andy so take your time. A leaf from which tree appears on the symbol for the national Trust?"
Andy. "I know this...erm...erm...Oh, Acorn!!!!"
"Well now Andy this is the last question. Good luck. Which bird is traditionally associated with wisdom?"
Something in Andy's miswired brain suddenly connects...round three corners, and across a serious short out but connection there is...
Andy: "The Early Bird!!"

Reminds me of a quiz show on Radio Merseyside in the 90s.

DJ: What was Hitler's first name?
Contestant: Heil

:D

In the spirit of finding things to do I thought it might be about time those of us with curmudgeonly tendencies had a thread. There are plenty of examples on PFM but often the perfectly rational, curmudgeonly response to a topic is disparaged in some way. Earlier on today I noticed a reasonable response to the subject of the Pet Shop Boys - 'I can't stand Pet Shop Boy's... I mean REALLY hate pretty much anything they have done... not too sure why...'. A perfect example of embryonic or latent curmudgeonliness.

The Pet Shop Boys comment, and I am sure they have their fans, makes an excellent start to Curmudgeon Corner. I will now add the Reverend Richard Coles, and I am sure he also has his fans. I love Radio 4 and have been listening to it most of my life but the Reverend Coles comes onto the radio at 9:00am on a Saturday morning with his slightly slimy and sycophantic interviews and he just puts my back up. How can such an apparently well meaning and mild mannered individual illicit such a reaction from me, I have no idea but there you go.

Have you any George Michael CDs?

I feel a bit sorry for Andy. Admittedly he really should have got Q1, but that’s easy for an old fogey like me to say.

Then he was given a trick question as Q2, which probably threw him completely. After that he stood no chance.

For starters
  • TV newsreaders and presenters not talking in sentences and saying they'll see me after the break
  • How you never see 'End of part one' at, um, the end of part one of a TV programme before the ads
  • Radio news broadcasters telling me what's coming up in the news two seconds before they start telling me
  • Drivers not indicating left when I'm waiting to pull out of the road they're turning into.
  • Smokers that leave cigarette stubs on top of the bin
  • People that wait until the supermarket cashier asks them for money to open their bag and see if they have any
  • People who sit on the outside seat on the bus and leave the inside one empty
  • People who stick their legs out in front of them under the table seat on the train
  • That Andy bloke who does the competition that never ends on Good Morning

advertisement

Back