advertisement

Cricket 2023

Just finished watching highlights of the first three days of the WTC with a particular eye on Australia. They looked formidable during the first couple of days, not so much day 3 but I hadn’t realised just how old the team is. Only Green is under 25, Head and Bureau de Change 29ish - everybody else over 30 and in most cases nearer 35. Both openers are 36 for example and with such an intense Ashes schedule this year that has to give England an advantage…..

Just finished watching highlights of the first three days of the WTC with a particular eye on Australia. They looked formidable during the first couple of days but I hadn’t realised just how old the team is. Only Green is under 25, Head and Bureau de Change 29ish - everybody else over 30 and in most cases nearer 35. With such an intense Ashes schedule that has to give England an advantage…..
Jimmy Anderson 40, Stuart Broad 36.....:)

I'm wondering if this test will be the perfect pre ashes match for the crims, or, whether in this heat it'll be the perfect pre ashes match for us wearing them out a bit etc. And whether our gimmicky pre ashes match against Ireland too easy.. or the ideal warm up for us. Hmm. Time will tell.

It could go both ways. Hoping they'll be all out asap, then at the least worn out by being out grazing for a full day minimum, their bowlers pounding in all effort etc.

If we do get battered I just hope it doesn't throw us into another generation long neurotic collapse and we go back to playing desperately trying not to lose cricket.

We won’t get battered. It’s ‘our house’. Evens things out a bit. I do predict a a change in our openers if that doesn’t go well, but Baz and Ben have backed their team. We’d have been playing in the final if we’d started this way 12 months earlier…

I am actually quite optimistic. But unless Baz and Ben came over for a personal pep talk, those old doubts are bound to come back :)

I'll be there with a bunch of players from the Bristol University cricket teams from 1972-1980! Doubt we'll be too rowdy...

England (confirmed): Ben Duckett, Zak Crawley, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (c), Jonny Bairstow (wk), Moeen Ali, Stuart Broad, Ollie Robinson, Jimmy Anderson.

no Wood (for good or otherwise) is the big talking point. Moeen has to be a big gamble forced by the conditions...

England (confirmed): Ben Duckett, Zak Crawley, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (c), Jonny Bairstow (wk), Moeen Ali, Stuart Broad, Ollie Robinson, Jimmy Anderson.

no Wood (for good or otherwise) is the big talking point. Moeen has to be a big gamble forced by the conditions...

There is a lot riding on Stokes fitness as he has to be able to bowl in order to rotate the other fast bowlers who may end up toiling in our hot as balls weather against the strong Oz middle order. Proper batting all the way down to number eight with Moeen though and Robinson got a century for his county this week. I don’t think we will win the Ashes back but it is going to be one hell of a series.

advertisement

Back