advertisement

Cricket 2023

No this post is ridiculous in my view.
The best batsman in the world currently is Marnus Labuschagne.

No, this post is ridiculous in my view. Yes bazball has been a revelation, but a blanket agreement of every devision made during it is zombie thinking.

Stupid, over-confident decision to declare when the world's best batsman is at full throttle, with so much time in the game left. Blindly stupid. Simple as.

It is a -fact- that Root would very likely have added another 25-30 minimum. And a fact if so, that we'd not be in the pickle we're in, but in a strong position instead.

Bazball schmazball on this naiive devision I'm afraid.
Utter nonsense. Root could have been out next ball, it’s not a fact that he would scored 30-40 runs, he could have been stranded at the other end.

We won away on the subcontinent, we literally never do that.

They would have looked at the weather forecast & made a call.

What pickle are we in, 35 runs ahead with 8 wickets.

With a less aggressive outlook we could have scored more slowly & ended up being bowled out for 250.

I personally would have liked a few more runs in the first innings but I respect the decision; sometimes you just have to back the players.

Utter nonsense. Root could have been out next ball, it’s not a fact that he would scored 30-40 runs, he could have been stranded at the other end.

We won away on the subcontinent, we literally never do that.

They would have looked at the weather forecast & made a call.

What pickle are we in, 35 runs ahead with 8 wickets.

With a less aggressive outlook we could have scored more slowly & ended up being bowled out for 250.

I personally would have liked a few more runs in the first innings but I respect the decision; sometimes you just have to back the players.

Oh calm down you silly toddler. You're just blind drunk to every bazball idea being correct. Zombified thinking.

My point has perfect validity. You wait, when we lose Vaughan summerising on TMS at stumps, will look back & say this decision was too early.. & we should've taken the time & the likely 30 runs we would've got right here.

Just checked the weather forecast…. sunny all day Monday, possible light rain all Tuesday.

Stokes to declare an hour after lunch tomorrow, with England around 180 for 5 then? Glad we’re all ok with that. : )

@Woodface what pickle?? This pickle, unless you're watching an entirely different match:

"England were hit by a one-two punch from Australia in a devastating 21-minute spell before rain ruined the third day of the first Ashes Test."

BBC.

Who to trust? A team and captain who have had unprecedented success over the last 15 months or experts on a Hi Fi forum.......tricky one.

Come on chaps, this is a cricket thread not a cable thread, a little less aggression please.

Played Australia during these 15 months have we then? Aussies who've just been crowned WTC champions?

There are some very naiive opinions on this thread.

A test match is not t20 , there are times in a match when you have to bat like Boycott and keep your wicket intact and ride out the time when the bowlers are in command due to conditions .The bowlers become tired the sun comes out ! then you attack and reap the rewards

The Aussies have always been strong at working out the weaknesses of a batting side. There are too many batsmen in the top order who have holes in their technique, like the opening pair and a lot of the rest of the order do. The injuries to Stokes and Leach are critical.

I can see the Aussies powering away with it as the summer progresses. Sadly. They have more depth in batting and bowling.

They don't seem to be quite as obnoxious as previous sides, apart from that irredeemable person (took a lot of restraint to write that) Warner. I'm sure they'll revert to type once they start winning.

They don't like bouncers, we use that tactic now a lot more than they do, which is ironic for the nation that brought us Thommo.

On balance, I do still hate their guts :D but I think they're going to win :(

Well, what a surprise. Michael Vaughan, who I think is the best commentator out there bar none, & knows a thing or two about winning an ashes series (if my memory serves me correctly):

"“I wouldn’t have declared,” former England captain Michael Vaughan said on BBC Test Match Special. “You just don’t know what is going to happen. England are trying to send a message no team has ever done before. I, as a captain, would’ve wanted a few more runs, especially with Joe Root out there.

Rest my case m'lud. And I think nowadays I do a "drops mic" thing too at this juncture. Is that right?

Capt

Well the weather looks good for batting today and England will again want to score quickly in order to setup tomorrow when after rain in the morning it looks overcast/muggy and a difficult day for Australia to bat through. We just have to play Lyon well (easier said than done) first. It’s been a terrific start to the series with England going toe to toe with the world champions - they must not flinch.

Oh calm down you silly toddler.

A simple question - when Stokes was appointed captain, would you have taken 11 wins out of 13 tests played? Would you have taken the number of records broken in achieving such numbers?

I'll repeat what I've previously said on this topic, if these kinds of numbers had been commenced 12 months earlier, we'd have been in the final.

Today does hinge around any of our batsmen getting 50 or more. If we have three that do so, then we don't lose this test. We might win it, or the weather get in the way, but a 250+ lead will be enough.

Even bazzball will take too long to get 250. 250 means a draw. There’s rain around and on form Ozzy bowling. If we can smash 180/200, I’d think a declaration worth it, esp if the pitch is breaking up and that sore spin finger is useable.

Oh calm down you silly toddler. You're just blind drunk to every bazball idea being correct. Zombified thinking.

My point has perfect validity. You wait, when we lose Vaughan summerising on TMS at stumps, will look back & say this decision was too early.. & we should've taken the time & the likely 30 runs we would've got right here.
If you are citing Vaughan, the argument is lost. He just says the opposite of everything & has a vested interest. He’s also a Tory, a Brexiter & a fake Yorkshireman. No guarantees in life.

advertisement

Back