advertisement

Cricket 2023

1965 Gillette Cup Final…

He was probably humouring everyone by briefly enjoying with this passing fad of one day slogs and moaning about how before long they will be making us play in our pyjamas :)

To be fair to Boycott he would have been a very different player in the modern game and given his generational level of talent undoubtedly still one of the best. Although mostly when I think about England players from that era the one I would most like to have seen play today is Derek Randall.

Bazball is a decision. It is a decision that England will try to outscore anyone and beat them. It is based on the fact that England are blessed with those batting at 4, 5, 6 & 7. It is playing to their strengths.
It cannot be switched on and off. Sometimes England will lose but even when they do the other side were usually scared sh1tless for parts of the match. I'm fine with that :)
The problem in this match is dropped catches and missed stumpings, not bazball.

Bazball is a decision. It is a decision that England will try to outscore anyone and beat them. It is based on the fact that England are blessed with those batting at 4, 5, 6 & 7. It is playing to their strengths.
It cannot be switched on and off. Sometimes England will lose but even when they do the other side were usually scared sh1tless for parts of the match. I'm fine with that :)

Exactly. And England's best chance to win is make the most of these decent conditions and what is left in the pitch and with these two in and to score quickly. Sure they might lose two wickets next over, end up on 250 and lose but that just seems like a better chance of winning than trying to grind it out and slowly build a lead of 220 and lose unless the rain saves them.

I can't work this thread out at all. I keep watching England play and we get these consistently brilliant days of cricket where England go toe to to toe with the best in the world and it's exhilarating, thrilling stuff.

And then I come on here and it's about how everything is terrible and England are clueless and we need to go back to how it was 50 years ago or we will never get anywhere. In contrast my memory of watching England cricket over my lifetime has been England were mostly terrible and mostly losing and the only times it hasn't been -- the Botham's and Flintoff series -- it's been a lot more like Bazball than Geoffrey bloody Boycott.

It's not about two extremes though is it, that's the myth. England played scoring shots off 48% of balls in the past year I think they said - what happened to the other half? The boring whatnots. They still have to manage shot selection, the conditions and the flow of the game...

I agree with that, that against all other opponents we've been up against & in which time bazball has formed.. I like bazball as much as we all do (although I hate the very word 'bazball').

But not against Australia, in the ashes. Sometimes, in the right place in the series YES YES. But it --should-- be able to be turned on & off. And via a Captain is the very way it is done. Otherwise we lose this series I'm afraid.

I hope to goodness I'm proved wrong. But I won't be.

Anything under 250 & we lose. 275 & yes we have a slim chance.. & we could pull it off, with help from the weather.

BUT WE SHOULD BE 234 AHEAD RIGHT NOW!! (with only 4 wickets left).

NOT 204!!

If any world team hasn’t yet worked out how to win over bazball, a quick viewing of todays play (and a search for a Cummings alike), should see them on track. It reminds me of the Rugby, where the one plan teams are just left standing by some intelligence in opposition coaching and some flexibility from individual plays.

If those tailenders get double figures, then the surface is still good. Add Moeen's finger too &..

280 isn't enough. 75% likelihood on an Aussie win. This is my pov, no betting Co or computer prediction.

(310 though would be a different prospect, & evens the odds IMO to 50-50).

You will all be my cabin boys. Have yourself prepare your posteriors.

It’s finely balanced. I think Australia will probably edge it. I thought Australia would get 500 in the first innings, it’s an odd game. Very compelling.

just edge it?
It'll be all over before lunch :)
Lifeless pitch, rain forecast changing to much drier, and 3 angry Ozzy high order batsmen with a point to prove (oh and M.A's finger.). Root needs to bowl at his very very best, and A&B need to pray for swing. It might then go on till tea.

advertisement

Back