advertisement

Cricket 2023

A simple question - when Stokes was appointed captain, would you have taken 11 wins out of 13 tests played? Would you have taken the number of records broken in achieving such numbers?

I'll repeat what I've previously said on this topic, if these kinds of numbers had been commenced 12 months earlier, we'd have been in the final.

Today does hinge around any of our batsmen getting 50 or more. If we have three that do so, then we don't lose this test. We might win it, or the weather get in the way, but a 250+ lead will be enough.
Exactly this. If we get bowled out for less than a hundred then the mythical missing runs wouldn’t matter anyway. Plenty to play for.

Interestingly (?) KP just said that this is not the time to come out swinging. "What will they do, or what should they do?" A very barbed comment. "They only know how to play one way..."

G'mornin everyone.

Apologies for calling woodywoodface a toddler, to start with. We should disagree with more dignity perhaps.

Well time will tell of course, whether that declaration will be of importance (but I think you'll find I remain captain, & you all shall be my cabin boys).

Wtf was Root up to? My chalfonts almost prolapsed. What a day to be in the crowd, & steady progress now. Just keep bloomin going, nothing more, old school accumulation. Pls no more bazball today.

Tomorrow looks like a washout at the moment unfortunately
In that case, get to over 150 and stick them in early afternoon...3ish? Just have a bowl for the sake of the game?
(When the met office will be wrong again and the sun will allow just enough time for them to creep past for the win). It's a great game anyway, despite it's modernity.

I'm really sick of this bazball now. Root getting out, then, like that, is atrocious. Fkn atrocious.

We deserve to lose this match now. And I think it might be a neccessary lesson learnt if so, too.

Capt

You can’t argue with the results so far, but I get a hint of “let’s do the opposite of what everyone is expecting!’…” to the decision making.

it’s great while it works.

I was half expecting stokes to bowl first…

It's good to see Stokes playing himself in this time! That appeal just didn't look to be out...

Well he has had very little cricket recently. He normally sets the bar for bazball and I hope he will again today.
Australia taking brilliant catches and we will have to do the same this time. And stumpings !
England has bossed the game despite losing wickets. Stokes, Bairstow or Ali can still take this away.

I can't work this thread out at all. I keep watching England play and we get these consistently brilliant days of cricket where England go toe to to toe with the best in the world and it's exhilarating, thrilling stuff.

And then I come on here and it's about how everything is terrible and England are clueless and we need to go back to how it was 50 years ago or we will never get anywhere. In contrast my memory of watching England cricket over my lifetime has been England were mostly terrible and mostly losing and the only times it hasn't been -- the Botham's and Flintoff series -- it's been a lot more like Bazball than Geoffrey bloody Boycott.

Geoffrey bloody Boycott

1965 Gillette Cup Final…

E-br0dEXIAMbGs7

Yorkshire 317 for 4 (Boycott 146 not out, fifteen 4s and three 6s; Close 79) beat Surrey 142 (Tindall 57, Illingworth 5-29) by 175 runs.

Weather looks ok from 2 pm onwards tomorrow in fact it looks great for bowling so we need to be batting at least until tea today. Great test match cricket.

I can't work this thread out at all. I keep watching England play and we get these consistently brilliant days of cricket where England go toe to to toe with the best in the world and it's exhilarating, thrilling stuff.

And then I come on here and it's about how everything is terrible and England are clueless and we need to go back to how it was 50 years ago or we will never get anywhere. In contrast my memory of watching England cricket over my lifetime has been England were mostly terrible and mostly losing and the only times it hasn't been -- the Botham's and Flintoff series -- it's been a lot more like Bazball than Geoffrey bloody Boycott.

No. It's only -me- that's moaning about england in this match. Everyone else is collectively disagreeing with me.

No. I'm not suggesting bazball has been bad. Nor am I saying we go back to boycott boredom. I am saying the bazball way, in this mach, against Australia in an ashes series (when the stakes are -far, far- greater than playing away in NZ) has been awful. We will lose this match --because of these bazball decisions--.

Stokes, has just skied a ball into no-man's land. If that was out, it's almost a lost cause to a achieve the bare minimum of 275 against this fine Aussie side to get (in 4 sessions). Then he reverse sweeps 2 balls later & misses it. The ball between he hits for four. This is all exciting, & nerve-wracking.. but it's also utter stupidity.

advertisement

Back