advertisement

Cricket 2023

Completely. I do just wonder though.. what if this was a 47 run lead instead-?

Fantastic captaincy that, & I know all about it of course. That's the best 1/2 hour of england captaincy I've possibly ever known. Definitely better than D.Gower.

I'm not knocking it and enjoy watching it, but it can be a tad nerve-racking/frustrating at times - Stokes out for nothing, Moeen getting thumped around, etc. Maybe it's still WIP.

Stokes is best England captain I have seen. Risk is inherent but I much prefer it.

I remember Australia scoring 400 on a day one pitch against us 2001? It's nothing new. Playing like Bob Willis just because his family was coming is not a good look ;)

Fortunate that Boycott is not around any more...

The great thing about Boycott was that you could go for a run or prepare a meal in the middle of his innings and be certain that when you return to the TV the scoreline won't have changed.

108 tests, 8000 runs, 22 100’s, 42 50’s and an average of near 48?

108 Tests with a grand total of 8 sixes. Don't forget the 36 One Day Internationals with zero nada 0 sixes. zzzzzzzzz
Played for himself not the team. Must have been so many drawn matches with many people turned off watching cricket.

Disaster for England! 22 balls, two runs, 2 wickets. If it wasn't for Bazball England would have been able to cope with top class bowling in damp, gloomy darkness and weathered that storm until the literal storm came along.

I seem to remember a TMS session many years ago when Blowers was commentating and had been talking with Gus Fraser about the (few) sixes Gus had hit in Test Matches. Fraser left the box to be replaced by Boycott and Blowers said "I`ve just been talking to Gus about the six he hit at the MCG - have you ever hit a six at the MCG Geoffrey?"

"No".

108 Tests with a grand total of 8 sixes. Don't forget the 36 One Day Internationals with zero nada 0 sixes. zzzzzzzzz
Played for himself not the team. Must have been so many drawn matches with many people turned off watching cricket.
Ah yes, cricket as it used to be played. I think it as long ago as what? 4/5 years that cricket became a game that must 'entertain' the shorter attention span, after being anything but since it's inception. Still, times changes, and so must the game.
I guess you weren't around but team captains used to pray for a 'new Boycott'. Someone who could anchor an end whilst the Gowers of the world flashed away at the other. It was a thing then to take things slowly, time for tea, a read of the paper, a doze in the sun, gentle applause for a good knock. Nonsense ofc. Next year I hear there will be cheerleaders in tinsel, bouncy castles and artificial roller flat fake grass pitches so the ball can gather more speed. Spin bowling banned and points off if you don't hit at least one four every over.

Disaster for England! 22 balls, two runs, 2 wickets. If it wasn't for Bazball England would have been able to cope with top class bowling in damp, gloomy darkness and weathered that storm until the literal storm came along.

If we'd have stayed on for 20 mins, got 30 more runs, we'd now be 50-0 having come off happily for rain.. & not have suffered that bloomin 20 minutes!!

The declaration I now find absolutely infuriating.

Or the keeper makes the regulation stumping and catch behind and England probably lead by 150 and everyone called the skipper a genius.

Or the keeper makes the regulation stumping and catch behind and England probably lead by 150 and everyone called the skipper a genius.

Everyone knew that JB was coming back from a nasty injury when he was selected - he'll need game time to get his sharpness back. The Wood omission is looking like the mistake that many thought last week. It probably should have been one of Broad and Anderson on that pitch - again everyone knew that it had been hot and dry!

Ah yes, cricket as it used to be played. I think it as long ago as what? 4/5 years that cricket became a game that must 'entertain' the shorter attention span, after being anything but since it's inception. Still, times changes, and so must the game.
I guess you weren't around but team captains used to pray for a 'new Boycott'. Someone who could anchor an end whilst the Gowers of the world flashed away at the other. It was a thing then to take things slowly, time for tea, a read of the paper, a doze in the sun, gentle applause for a good knock. Nonsense ofc. Next year I hear there will be cheerleaders in tinsel, bouncy castles and artificial roller flat fake grass pitches so the ball can gather more speed. Spin bowling banned and points off if you don't hit at least one four every over.

Test matches were 5 days then and they are 5 days now. Joe Root anchors an end but he can score too, it is not impossible.
Yes I do think entertainment is important if you want the game to survive.
If you have been watching this Test you would know how important spin bowlers still are. Especially with DRS.

Indeed. Alternate timelines don't really work and the point about this game is it's been very close all the way through so almost by definition it's going to be full of "what if" moments. Which is what we want as viewers.

England have probably had their best ever 12 months under Bazball, the moans are ridiculous. We have no idea what would have happed without the declaration. It’s a close game, what did people expect?

Hindsight is wonderful but not relevant in live sport. Foakes may have taken the stumping a bit then bowled for a duck.

England have probably had their best ever 12 months under Bazball, the moans are ridiculous. We have no idea what would have happed without the declaration. It’s a close game, what did people expect?

Hindsight is wonderful but not relevant in live sport. Foakes may have taken the stumping a bit then bowled for a duck.

No, this post is ridiculous in my view. Yes bazball has been a revelation, but a blanket agreement of every devision made during it is zombie thinking.

Stupid, over-confident decision to declare when the world's best batsman is at full throttle, with so much time in the game left. Blindly stupid. Simple as.

It is a -fact- that Root would very likely have added another 25-30 minimum. And a fact if so, that we'd not be in the pickle we're in, but in a strong position instead.

Bazball schmazball on this naiive devision I'm afraid.

advertisement

Back