advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Tested positive yesterday, a couple of days after Mrs ff1d1l. Had symptoms which tested negative for a few days, gradually getting worse, night sweats, aching, coughing, sneezing today. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets, and will slowly improve from now on, as Mrs ff1d1l has.
Hope that you're both feeling fully recovered soon - take it easy

Good to see. I remember when our numbers were 300 for the whole county; now it’s started to drop from 30,000 and it’s Easter. It shot up after the Carbis bay jobby, but hoping this influx of visitors won’t have the same effect….

Tested positive yesterday, a couple of days after Mrs ff1d1l. Had symptoms which tested negative for a few days, gradually getting worse, night sweats, aching, coughing, sneezing today. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets, and will slowly improve from now on, as Mrs ff1d1l has.

Take care.

Vaccines are no match for long Covid. Treating it is science’s next great challenge
Danny Altmann

Failure to recognise the need for a response could be a blunder we rue for decades to come

"These waves have disproportionately affected primary and secondary schools, and many of the new sufferers are children. Sammie Mcfarland at LongCovidKids.org reports a constant stream of new members across its support services, many developing long Covid after two, three or four bouts of reinfection, having escaped it first time round."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/16/vaccines-long-covid-science

Bring back free Covid tests for exam candidates, UK schools urge
Pupils set to take first GCSEs and A-levels for three years, but invigilators are wary of working in halls with no protective measures

“These kids have all been through two years of emotional battering. The pandemic has hit them in a thousand small ways, and now we just expect them to walk into an exam room as though nothing has happened.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...vid-tests-for-exam-candidates-uk-schools-urge

A small number of cases of a new variant of the Omicron strain of Covid-19 have been discovered in Northern Ireland, according to the Public Health Agency (PHA).

The new form of the virus, known as Omicron XE, is a recombinant of the Omicron BA.1 and BA.2 variants.

The PHA said that 1,179 cases of XE have been confirmed in the UK so far.

But, to date, fewer than five cases of the variant have been detected in Northern Ireland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-61130848

116 227 cases since the last update. 482 deaths were recorded over Easter and 1 898, 1 662, 1 416, 1 288 and 1 347 reported admissions to 17/4.

My wife had been sneezing a bit for the past few days, but feeling fine. We decided to test though (last Saturday) and she tested positive - a thick line appeared almost instantly. I'd been feeling a little under the weather so tested as well, but negative.

Yesterday I was feeling worse and we both tested - both positive, my line very faint though, hers much fainter than before.

Today - we are both still positive, but me fainter than before, hers faint almost to the point of invisibility. I still have a sore throat/chest and runny nose.

I had previously assumed that if one tested positive, it would stay around for at least a week. It looks like my positive testing might last only a few days, and never produce more than a very faint line. Anyone else had that experience? I'm almost wondering if I actually just have a cold.

My wife had been sneezing a bit for the past few days, but feeling fine. We decided to test though (last Saturday) and she tested positive - a thick line appeared almost instantly. I'd been feeling a little under the weather so tested as well, but negative.

Yesterday I was feeling worse and we both tested - both positive, my line very faint though, hers much fainter than before.

Today - we are both still positive, but me fainter than before, hers faint almost to the point of invisibility. I still have a sore throat/chest and runny nose.

I had previously assumed that if one tested positive, it would stay around for at least a week. It looks like my positive testing might last only a few days, and never produce more than a very faint line. Anyone else had that experience? I'm almost wondering if I actually just have a cold.

A cold can't give a false positive, the tests react to protein from the virus and you shouldn't try to read anything into the strength of the line. Best of luck.

Sorry to hear you have succumbed, hope you both get better soon. It is literally everywhere right now, I know so many people with it or who have had it in the last month or so.

Well I have isolated, and no desire to be out and about anyway while feeling unwell. My wife has is completely negative this morning. I know the guidance is to treat the faintest T line as "positive", and I will follow that.

Nevertheless it seems obvious there must be some rough correlation between thickness of line + number of days spent positive, and degree of current/previous infection, based simply on the concentration of the particular protein the test is detecting - as I say my symptoms appear mild, and have led to only a few days of positive tests with faint lines only. Though I don't doubt that this is in general an unreliable indicator, it may well be a common experience?

The greatest variable in the lateral flow tests- by a huge margin - is not how bad the infection but how effective the sampling technique.

You could be full of virus but simply not get very many on the stick because you miss the the exact spot on your tonsil or in your nose, or wipe them off on your tongue or nasal septum on the way out.

It really is like a pregnancy test - positive or negative for that particular sample. This is why repeated negative tests are suggested before declaring you are no longer infectious - the more times you sample, the greater the chance of getting lucky and grabbing enough virus.

Not looking to argue about that - I totally agree with taking any positive test for what it is, and agree with the need for simple messaging, and I'm sure there can be large variability between tests as you say.

But as well as our own experience, anecdotally several people have told me when testing everyday, the pattern between successive days is along the lines: thick, thick.....thick, fainter, fainter still, yet fainter, gone". Which does suggest a broad truth in plotting the course of weakening infection, and also that if done carefully, there is some consistency.

The greatest variable in the lateral flow tests- by a huge margin - is not how bad the infection but how effective the sampling technique.

You could be full of virus but simply not get very many on the stick because you miss the the exact spot on your tonsil or in your nose, or wipe them off on your tongue or nasal septum on the way out.

It really is like a pregnancy test - positive or negative for that particular sample. This is why repeated negative tests are suggested before declaring you are no longer infectious - the more times you sample, the greater the chance of getting lucky and grabbing enough virus.

Very much agreed, i had a clear test on day 6 then a fail on day 7, all ok by day 10.

Just had a few coldy days, sneezed a lot and went deaf in one ear but no Covid.

It's been through everyone at our local over the last couple of weeks.

PCR going into Grenada was interesting, just a very delicate quick touch. Assumed the test would be invalid but i passed.

Day 8 here, just tested strongly positive. Mrs ff1d1l, who is three or four days ahead, just tested less strongly. Feel better than a few days ago, but still tired and wiped out. Luckily a beautiful day here, so sitting out in the garden playing the cittern.

advertisement

Back