Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - the new strain X

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gavreid, Aug 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

They must learn this somewhere. Anyone for the How to Lie to Camera and Get Away With It seminar? Bought to you by the guru who gave you Donald Trump?

2. Nero

Nero Wiped Clean

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in this thread but this seems to be doing the rounds at the moment

3. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

This from the Statesman this morning is interesting, but again, why isn’t the Opposition pointing out the domestic unconstitutionalness (?) of the Internal Market Bill as well as the breach of some foreign law?

And let’s not forget the fundamental democratic point that as the man who made the agreement in the first place then placed it centrally to his election pitch to the country, Boris Johnson is either responsible for an agreement that he now admits is not fit for purpose, or knew it was not fit for purpose at the time, and lied about it

William Hague is the latest big name Conservative peer to come out against the Bill in his Telegraph column, while his former aide and fellow Tory peer Danny Finkelstein has also criticised the move in his column in the Times.

Because the Internal Market Bill's offending clauses (at least as far as the Northern Ireland protocol is concerned) were not in the Conservative manifesto, and indeed arguably they run roughshod over the party's championing of Boris Johnson's 'oven-ready' Brexit deal, the Upper House has a free hand to assert itself against the Bill, if they choose.

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Johnson has obviously been rehearsed to take a very different tack forPMQs today- he’s not shouting or ranting yet, though he is unfocused and struggling with his notes as ever. Angela Rayner ( who he addressed as “the right honourable.err..honourable lady...err, good lady“) is already running rings round him.

5. tyrant

tyrant pfm Member

You might want to read up on this before drawing conclusions. For instance, the Good Law Project website is worth a look:

https://goodlawproject.org/case/procurement-case/

(...) £108m went to a tiny pest control company with net assets of £18,000, Pestfix. Another £108m went to a modestly sized confectioner in Northern Ireland, Clandeboye Agencies. And another contract, worth £252m, was awarded to Ayanda, an opaque private fund owned through a tax haven. There is no evidence that either of these companies had previously had any experience in supplying PPE.(...)

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

My money is on Steve Bannon. All routes seem to lead back to him; the Tea Party, Trump, Farage/Banks/UKIP and the UK Conservative Party has now just absorbed this whole mindset completely. Some UK Conservatives have even attended Bannon’s far-right terrorist training camp in Italy (Independent). He has links to Boris Johnson and other high profile party members (Guardian). No one should be in the slightest doubt; Bannon is a fascist and a white supremacist. This is not exaggeration or hyperbole, it is well documented fact, he all but admits it. One of the most dangerous individuals on this planet IMHO.

7. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Our Ange knows a bullshitter when she sees one. She obviously views him with total contempt (who wouldn't?).

8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

She's not landing any blows though, all very mild stuff

9. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I’m liking the 4K broadcast quality- it’s quite apparent Johnson has missed several areas of his face while shaving- there are substantial hairs sprouting from his jaw line. He also looks knackered.

droodzilla likes this.
  10. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

It's pernicious. It implies the author occupies some privileged location above the political fray when they have merely chosen a different political position. Like Geddy Lee says, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice".

11. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Sure. Maybe Labour should have unleashed the Millipede again?

My expectations of PMQs are low anyway. It's hard to think of a spectacle more likely to alienate a typical voter.

gavreid likes this.
  12. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Not sure about that; there's not that many of us with school age kids posting in this thread, and those that I know of (including me) don't take that stance. It may be true that the general stance has been "kids are better off at school" and all things being equal, this is of course true (but Covid does not make this equal) - but I'd say that the majority with that opinion don't have a dog in the race ( = a kid at school).

gavreid likes this.
  13. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Along with the arrogance of trying to frame it in a way that although it's been a complete shambles, it would have even worse but for our innate competence in these matters.

droodzilla likes this.
  14. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Unfortunately, school properties have not enlarged, nor have budgets and staff numbers increased as a result of Covid. Not sure what the schools are supposed to do when tasked with "getting all kids back to school (but you're on your own.")

15. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

The thing is everyone has a dog in the race - the virus won't limit itself to school kids and their families once it gets a firm toe hold again. I think that's what I was getting at...

16. tqineil

tqineil Ubi fides ibi lux et robur

Neil Peart wrote that, Gary Weinreib just sang it :)

droodzilla likes this.
  17. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Yes, you are correct, but I do sense a different level of angst - my own anyway, and yours - at what we're exposing our kids to right now.

18. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Both mine are at home - both now ill, we're waiting on a test result today hopefully, the kit has arrived at the lab in Glasgow (that's the local one to me in West Yorks!)

19. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Ugh, hope everything comes back clear.

tqineil and gavreid like this.
  20. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

Spoke to a friend from work yesterday - initially just to say she'd picked a nice time for a few days off, to find that they are isolating with 3 sick kids. Youngest came home from nursery unwell and got worse and the others came down too. Coughs and temperature - no tests available when she tried. She said the potential number of contacts the family had over the weekend was fairly large. She'd been with family for her dad's birthday, her son had been playing football with his team, and daughter had spent time away with her dad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.