advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching him now being given oxygen by the BBC- he’s an Alt Right, Fox News style truth twister. Gets caught lying, switches tack and comes out with some fresh alternative facts.
They must learn this somewhere. Anyone for the How to Lie to Camera and Get Away With It seminar? Bought to you by the guru who gave you Donald Trump?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in this thread but this seems to be doing the rounds at the moment

This from the Statesman this morning is interesting, but again, why isn’t the Opposition pointing out the domestic unconstitutionalness (?) of the Internal Market Bill as well as the breach of some foreign law?

And let’s not forget the fundamental democratic point that as the man who made the agreement in the first place then placed it centrally to his election pitch to the country, Boris Johnson is either responsible for an agreement that he now admits is not fit for purpose, or knew it was not fit for purpose at the time, and lied about it

William Hague is the latest big name Conservative peer to come out against the Bill in his Telegraph column, while his former aide and fellow Tory peer Danny Finkelstein has also criticised the move in his column in the Times.

Because the Internal Market Bill's offending clauses (at least as far as the Northern Ireland protocol is concerned) were not in the Conservative manifesto, and indeed arguably they run roughshod over the party's championing of Boris Johnson's 'oven-ready' Brexit deal, the Upper House has a free hand to assert itself against the Bill, if they choose.

Johnson has obviously been rehearsed to take a very different tack forPMQs today- he’s not shouting or ranting yet, though he is unfocused and struggling with his notes as ever. Angela Rayner ( who he addressed as “the right honourable.err..honourable lady...err, good lady“) is already running rings round him.

Having read the article the following paragraph sums things up :-

"Procurement experts said it was too early to make any judgments on the contract awards. “We don’t know enough about these organisations and it would be good to know why they have been chosen. However, the proof is in the pudding and if they deliver then we should be grateful,” said Ian Makgill, director of consultancy OpenOpps."

At the moment it all seems little more than speculation and the normal political point scoring that prevails on here.

You might want to read up on this before drawing conclusions. For instance, the Good Law Project website is worth a look:

https://goodlawproject.org/case/procurement-case/

(...) £108m went to a tiny pest control company with net assets of £18,000, Pestfix. Another £108m went to a modestly sized confectioner in Northern Ireland, Clandeboye Agencies. And another contract, worth £252m, was awarded to Ayanda, an opaque private fund owned through a tax haven. There is no evidence that either of these companies had previously had any experience in supplying PPE.(...)

They must learn this somewhere. Anyone for the How to Lie to Camera and Get Away With It seminar? Bought to you by the guru who gave you Donald Trump?

My money is on Steve Bannon. All routes seem to lead back to him; the Tea Party, Trump, Farage/Banks/UKIP and the UK Conservative Party has now just absorbed this whole mindset completely. Some UK Conservatives have even attended Bannon’s far-right terrorist training camp in Italy (Independent). He has links to Boris Johnson and other high profile party members (Guardian). No one should be in the slightest doubt; Bannon is a fascist and a white supremacist. This is not exaggeration or hyperbole, it is well documented fact, he all but admits it. One of the most dangerous individuals on this planet IMHO.

Johnson has obviously been rehearsed to take a very different tack forPMQs today- he’s not shouting or ranting yet, though he is unfocused and struggling with his notes as ever. Angela Rayner ( who he addressed as “the right honourable.err..honourable lady...err, good lady“) is already running rings round him.
Our Ange knows a bullshitter when she sees one. She obviously views him with total contempt (who wouldn't?).

Our Ange knows a bullshitter when she sees one. She obviously views him with total contempt (who wouldn't?).
I’m liking the 4K broadcast quality- it’s quite apparent Johnson has missed several areas of his face while shaving- there are substantial hairs sprouting from his jaw line. He also looks knackered.

A phrase to transfer focus from people caught out in failure, usually. Resentment at having been found out, or come up short. "It's enough that I've fvcked up, how dare you point it out".
It's pernicious. It implies the author occupies some privileged location above the political fray when they have merely chosen a different political position. Like Geddy Lee says, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice".

That is true. I'm too tired to look back but my memory is of people buying the 'need to return for the sake of the kids' argument in the main.

Not sure about that; there's not that many of us with school age kids posting in this thread, and those that I know of (including me) don't take that stance. It may be true that the general stance has been "kids are better off at school" and all things being equal, this is of course true (but Covid does not make this equal) - but I'd say that the majority with that opinion don't have a dog in the race ( = a kid at school).

It's pernicious. It implies the author occupies some privileged location above the political fray when they have merely chosen a different political position. Like Geddy Lee says, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice".

Along with the arrogance of trying to frame it in a way that although it's been a complete shambles, it would have even worse but for our innate competence in these matters.

If my recent experience at a couple of local schools is anything to go by it won't be long before we see whole swathes of infection. Quite staggering the lack of any real measures put in place to protect staff or pupils.

Unfortunately, school properties have not enlarged, nor have budgets and staff numbers increased as a result of Covid. Not sure what the schools are supposed to do when tasked with "getting all kids back to school (but you're on your own.")

Not sure about that; there's not that many of us with school age kids posting in this thread, and those that I know of (including me) don't take that stance. It may be true that the general stance has been "kids are better off at school" and all things being equal, this is of course true (but Covid does not make this equal) - but I'd say that the majority with that opinion don't have a dog in the race ( = a kid at school).

The thing is everyone has a dog in the race - the virus won't limit itself to school kids and their families once it gets a firm toe hold again. I think that's what I was getting at...

The thing is everyone has a dog in the race - the virus won't limit itself to school kids and their families once it gets a firm toe hold again. I think that's what I was getting at...

Yes, you are correct, but I do sense a different level of angst - my own anyway, and yours - at what we're exposing our kids to right now.

Yes, you are correct, but I do sense a different level of angst - my own anyway, and yours - at what we're exposing our kids to right now.

Both mine are at home - both now ill, we're waiting on a test result today hopefully, the kit has arrived at the lab in Glasgow (that's the local one to me in West Yorks!)

Spoke to a friend from work yesterday - initially just to say she'd picked a nice time for a few days off, to find that they are isolating with 3 sick kids. Youngest came home from nursery unwell and got worse and the others came down too. Coughs and temperature - no tests available when she tried. She said the potential number of contacts the family had over the weekend was fairly large. She'd been with family for her dad's birthday, her son had been playing football with his team, and daughter had spent time away with her dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back