advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone at miss seagull's uni has it. He is writing a blog it sounds horrible even for relatively fit and healthy young adults. It seems a lot worse than flu.

I also got a text from Gov.uk with a link to the new rules.

The evidence suggests it effects everyone differently, some folk won't even know they've had it!

But yes, some of the bad cases do sound like pretty nasty symptoms.

There is actually a outside chance I’ve had it too as mid-Jan/early-Feb I felt like crap for weeks and whatever it was really ended up on my chest to the point I was using inhalers more than I have in a very long time. It was a good month until I shifted it and even now my lung capacity isn’t that great. I don’t recall a fever, but I did feel exhausted and even a bit dizzy at times, but as an asthmatic that is not unusual from a bog-standard cold turning into a chest infection. Volunteering at the museum I very regularly talked to quite large groups of Chinese tourists (often fresh from the airport with their trolley bags) who tend to be very interested in computer history, so an early infection path is not impossible. I’m obviously working on the assumption I haven’t had it, as that is the only logical way to approach the risk without further information.

I'm sorry, but I'm very skeptical of this, even though I too have had a really nasty head cold with post nasal drip, sore throat and swollen neck glands since mid February - not terrible in severity (and no fever), but lingering worse than anything I've had in many years.

Check out this article and video from the drive-through testing about 10 miles from me:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/drive-...s-hundreds-of-patients-in-single-day/31850939

In particular this quote:

"A few weeks ago, about 90% of people with COVID-19 symptoms tested positive for the flu. However, only 2% of patients at Saturday's drive-thru clinic tested positive for the flu, according to AFC Urgent Care." (The flu test is instant - the COVID test takes a few days).

I think there has been a very unfortunate combination of a bad late cold/flu season (post New Year) and now COVID coming on top of it - but I would be very wary of assuming you have had COVID unless symptoms developed in the last week or two and include a fever and dry cough.

Diet Nurse rang me this morning to discuss my insulin regime, During the call the ASDA van arrived and I had to put her on hold. I apologised for the interruption and we had further discussion. At the end she said 'see you on the other side' - so true I hope. She was reassigned to the CV front line.

I had something nasty in mid January. Typical flu symptoms for about a week then 5 weeks of total fatigue & exhaustion. I've still got a recurring dry cough, a bit of chestiness & post nasal drip even now. GP just said post viral syndrome & very low vitamin D levels after a blood test.

I am very worried about this “I think I’ve had it” surge of posts.
If that’s representative of the whole population there are a lot of people in all likelihood deluding themselves, some of whom will be letting their supposition put them off guard.

I am very worried about this “I think I’ve had it” surge of posts.
If that’s representative of the whole population there are a lot of people in all likelihood deluding themselves, some of whom will be letting their supposition put them off guard.

Agreed, and as stated I am very much working on the assumption I have not had it. Not only that but I am working on the assumption that my health is weakened due to whatever I did have, so now is really not a good time to get it. One of the reasons I was so frightened by this early on is I was at the time quite ill and was aware anything this nasty landing on top of what I already had would very likely finish me off! I’m not relaxing or making any assumptions at all until we have all been tested and know the exact score. FWIW I am expecting to be house-bound until there is a vaccine, i.e. far, far longer than the 12 weeks being touted by some. I advise others to do the same.

Whatever...the virus ain't going away with that twice a day, is it?

I would say this is mostly down to TFL. Lots of people working in healthcare/food industry need to get into town and TFL has cut back service to bare bones so less trains = each one more packed. They should be running a standard weekday service which would then allow for way more space between passengers. Another good idea I saw is how about putting the black cabs to work driving NHS staff to work? They have that divider and a lot of space between. No matter what it's a risk but certainly a lot less risky than a packed tube train.

Agreed, and as stated I am very much working on the assumption I have not had it. Not only that but I am working on the assumption that my health is weakened due to whatever I did have, so now is really not a good time to get it. One of the reasons I was so frightened by this early on is I was at the time quite ill and was aware anything this nasty landing on top of what I already had would very likely finish me off! I’m not relaxing or making any assumptions at all until we have all been tested and know the exact score. FWIW I am expecting to be house-bound until there is a vaccine, i.e. far, far longer than the 12 weeks being touted by some. I advise others to do the same.

Indeed. I’m not taking any undue risks.

I'm sorry, but I'm very skeptical of this, even though I too have had a really nasty head cold with post nasal drip, sore throat and swollen neck glands since mid February - not terrible in severity (and no fever), but lingering worse than anything I've had in many years.

Check out this article and video from the drive-through testing about 10 miles from me:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/drive-...s-hundreds-of-patients-in-single-day/31850939

"A few weeks ago, about 90% of people with COVID-19 symptoms tested positive for the flu. However, only 2% of patients at Saturday's drive-thru clinic tested positive for the flu, according to AFC Urgent Care." (The flu test is instant - the COVID test takes a few days).

I think there has been a very unfortunate combination of a bad late cold/flu season (post New Year) and now COVID coming on top of it - but I would be very wary of assuming you have had COVID unless symptoms developed in the last week or two and include a fever and dry cough.
That was in my hometown, but in order to get tested you needed to get pre-qualified with symptoms.

Am at the Minneapolis airport, waiting to pick up Mrs. Hook who is flying home from South Africa. It looks like a scene from the Twilight Zone - the place is empty!

My feeling that she was running a gauntlet to get home was amplified this morning when we spoke during her layover in Atlanta. Upon takeoff from Johannesburg, it was announced that hers was the last Delta flight out of South Africa for the foreseeable! At least she got to enjoy the complimentary Bellini (champagne and peach juice) that was served to accompany the announcement.

The next two weeks will be challenging, as we’ve agreed she will self-isolate. Will be tricky to manage this separation in our modestly sized abode, but hopefully we’ll figure it out quickly!

^ This. unfortunately a lot of people will have had colds or flu like illness this season but they’ve yet to get Covid-19.

A car journey to take Betsy for a walk away from crowds today. Its so nice to see other drivers observing social distancing on our roads. All cars fully 2 meters from the car in front. One or two even more.

Last edited:
I had very mild symptoms for the first 7 days, only sore throat, mild headache, slight burning sensation / tightness in the chest and lungs. Easy to dismiss as something else and not really meeting the NHS 111 algorithm. Most people didn't believe me when I said I thought I had it, the main reason I knew was because I could trace the infection and also passing it on to household members.

But last night and today (8th day from symptom onset) things really took off, difficulty breathing and almost passed out after climbing the stairs (I'm approaching 50 and reasonably fit with no other health issues). Spent most of the day deep breathing in the back yard and now feel a bit better.

My friend in Spain was pretty ill the first 5 days but didn't get the second stage.

Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone.

Finally some clarity on work. When asked directly - it has been admitted that its OK to be in work so long as 2m rule is obeyed.
While im unsure how effective this can be personally, at least I can continue on my own in my own unit and not be concerned about being fined.
They prefer for folks to work from home, but recognise this is not possible for many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back