advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain III

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it helps to reassure you, I've come to the conclusion that I've already had the virus with mild symptoms. I am lifelong asthmatic on a moderate dose of inhaled steroids and am at the doctors at least twice a year for additional oral steroids.

There is actually a outside chance I’ve had it too as mid-Jan/early-Feb I felt like crap for weeks and whatever it was really ended up on my chest to the point I was using inhalers more than I have in a very long time. It was a good month until I shifted it and even now my lung capacity isn’t that great. I don’t recall a fever, but I did feel exhausted and even a bit dizzy at times, but as an asthmatic that is not unusual from a bog-standard cold turning into a chest infection. Volunteering at the museum I very regularly talked to quite large groups of Chinese tourists (often fresh from the airport with their trolley bags) who tend to be very interested in computer history, so an early infection path is not impossible. I’m obviously working on the assumption I haven’t had it, as that is the only logical way to approach the risk without further information.

I arrived back from Spain at the end of January and 48 hours later I was floored by what I thought was a bad case of the Flu I too am astmhatic and was so short of breath for about 2 days that I very nearly went to hospital. My partner was also ill with a persistent and terrible cough both of us also had fevers.
I cannot say for sure because I have not been tested but in light of the fact that reports are now saying that Covid-19 could have arrived in both Italy and Spain as early as December I do wonder if we too have had this Virus.

Like most people I get a small dose of Flu most years but none has ever effected my chest/breathing in this way. My asthma is controlled by taking twice daily puffs on a brown inhaler and very, very rarely by using a blue one but during that illness back in January the blue inhaler did nothing to help the symptoms and felt like I was inhaling ground glass.

Sounds likely. I read an article by an Edinburgh GP who reckoned there were cases going round here well before the government began to take it seriously. I guess we'll never know until they roll out an antibody test.

I don’t think Fauci is going to last more than a couple more weeks. Trump is going to try and get back to normal. This should be the time when the 25th amendment is brought into play but with the number of crazy republicans around these days I am not sure it will.

If he does scrap the restrictions, it will be interesting to see how the individual states behave, i.e. do they ignore Trump, and if the mounting death toll eventually destroys his election chances.

a tragedy for the US is in the making.
The death toll will mount too fast for him to implement this plan, without going down in history as a Hitler-level monster.

The amazement is not that Trump is that stupid - he doesn't hide it, it's more that he has such a patsy GOP who are quite literally going to go along with anything rather than intervene.
The GOP has a flaming case of learned helplessness regarding Trump.

We are very similar to you size wise. My understanding is you are better organized and prepared for this. Our deaths touch wood are still very low. Hopefully we mirror your results at worst. Is testing widespread in Denmark?

No. A week ago the authorities did not test people with weak symptons, even fontline personnel went untested when sent home. WHO criticised the Danish government and they have since ramped up testing. We won't see the full effect of lock-down measures until the end of this week.

I am teaching on-line English lessons using Google Docs for communication and Google Slides for lesson plans. It works quite well although the weak students feel over-burdened and exposed. They have to hand in grammar tasks ss well as spoken and written work at the end of lessons. I'm teaching 16-19 year olds.

This just shows the lock business and finance have on US politicians, people feel they have to sacrifice themselves or their families to survive politically, what do these people think they get when they die?, heaven surrounded by 70 hedge fund managers?, they deserve hell and 70 hedge fund managers with hot pokers. Capitalism has really morphed into a ISIS style death cult for some people.

"As Donald Trump pushed to re-open the US economy in weeks, rather than months, the lieutenant governor of Texas went on Fox News to argue that he would rather die than see public health measures damage the US economy, and that he believed “lots of grandparents” across the country would agree with him."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...wn-harm-us-economy-texas-official-dan-patrick
Many more workers than grandparents would die. Lower death rate, but lots more cases. And the herd does not understand exponential growth yet, but by the middle of April, they will.

You would have thought that Pepys would have know there was no queen on the throne at that time! (Charles II 1630-1685)
#homeschooling #everydayisaschoolday :)
Likely an error introduced by a modern retyping the quote, for whom it's been a lifetime of 'her majesty.'

text received by me earlier.

NHSNOREPLY

"You must follow Government advice and stay at home. You may receive more detailed advice re your health condition soon. Visit www.nhs.uk"

anyone else got this text?

I have long standing disabilities, but not immunocompromised, or lung issues.

This is very sad

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...byes-to-dying-relatives-by-videolink-covid-19

My Dad is in hospital at the minute (not Covid) and nobody has seen or heard anything since Friday night, every time one of us calls the ward the phone just rings and rings, we don't know if he's doing OK or not, getting better/worse, we don't know anything.

It would be really sad if he took a turn for the worse without having seen his wife or any family since last Friday.

I got this one off the Government earlier.

GOV.UK CORONAVIRUS ALERT
New rules in force now: you must stay at home. More info & exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.

Last edited:
I've had the text twice - once to my 3 number early this morning, then to my giff-gaff number early afternoon. Nothing to the EE number yet but presume that is coming.

As if the Sports Direct ignoring these govt last night wasn’t bad enough Sky are reporting this

“Sports Direct has hiked prices of some sports equipment, including skipping ropes, weights and resistance belts, by more than 50% in some cases on Tuesday, according to documents seen by the PA news agency.

One manager has contacted Sky News to say: "It's absolutely profiteering from this situation.

"Things like dartboards, yoga mats, basketball hoops, fitness equipment were all due to increase this morning.

"All things that people who are stuck at home may have a use for.

"It's rare for us to increase so many products in one go."

There is actually a outside chance I’ve had it too as mid-Jan/early-Feb I felt like crap for weeks and whatever it was really ended up on my chest to the point I was using inhalers more than I have in a very long time. It was a good month until I shifted it and even now my lung capacity isn’t that great.

These are exactly my symptoms minus the inhalers and I cannot get rid of it, it has lasted a good month so far.

These are exactly my symptoms minus the inhalers and I cannot get rid of it, it has lasted a good month so far.
My parents have reported something very similar indeed, beginning around Xmas. They are convinced they’ve already had CV, though that does seem rather early. It feeds into some growing suggestions that it’s been doing the rounds for a little longer than is generally accepted.

Alternatively, there was just a particularly shitty strain of regular flu, at the turn of the year, and it’s just a coincidence.

My parents have reported something very similar indeed, beginning around Xmas. They are convinced they’ve already had CV, though that does seem rather early. It feeds into some growing suggestions that it’s been doing the rounds for a little longer than is generally accepted.

Alternatively, there was just a particularly shitty strain of regular flu, at the turn of the year, and it’s just a coincidence.

My Dad and step mum had the same thing at the same time, I'm pretty sure it wasn't CV though as both have underlying health issues and my step mum even only has one lung, neither of them were ill enough from it that they required anything like medical attention. Yes it was a bad cough/chest infection but both of them carried on as normal and both recovered easily enough.

From what I've heard, if you've got CV, there's absolutely no doubt that this is what you have. With its continuous dry cough and high fever, it's quite different from normal 'flu.

I arrived back from Spain at the end of January and 48 hours later I was floored by what I thought was a bad case of the Flu I too am astmhatic and was so short of breath for about 2 days that I very nearly went to hospital. My partner was also ill with a persistent and terrible cough both of us also had fevers.
I cannot say for sure because I have not been tested but in light of the fact that reports are now saying that Covid-19 could have arrived in both Italy and Spain as early as December I do wonder if we too have had this Virus.

Like most people I get a small dose of Flu most years but none has ever effected my chest/breathing in this way. My asthma is controlled by taking twice daily puffs on a brown inhaler and very, very rarely by using a blue one but during that illness back in January the blue inhaler did nothing to help the symptoms and felt like I was inhaling ground glass.

If it's walking like a duck and talking like a duck and when it talks it tells you it wants to be served with an orange sauce, it's probably a duck.

Someone at miss seagull's uni has it. He is writing a blog it sounds horrible even for relatively fit and healthy young adults. It seems a lot worse than flu.

I also got a text from Gov.uk with a link to the new rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back