1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus: Pubs 'may need to shut' to allow schools to reopen

Discussion in 'off topic' started by George J, Aug 1, 2020.

1. George J

George J Herefordshire member

Coronavirus: Pubs 'may need to shut' to allow schools to reopen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613

I would say that this is fair trade off in fighting the Covid epidemic in the UK.

Thoughts?

Best wishes from George

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

easy way round it is to separate the two groups. Ban everyone with children and those in contact with them from pubs and all social situations outside the home.

Leave the rest of us to enjoy the pub

Tarzan and robs like this.
  3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Dragons Den reality TV personality Duncan Bannatyne is demanding to get his sweaty gyms open in Scotland or he’s shipping out.

4. gintonic

alternatively let the kids of feral

5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Bye.

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Like Trump, he’s supposed to be the ‘smart business man’ but he’s had about 20,000 twitter replies saying what you just said. How not to market yourself.

Caledon1297 likes this.
  7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

In English please?

snowflake likes this.
  8. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

I’d include all those who work in universities in that as well. They must be higher risk as well.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and jimbob75 like this.
  9. RXH2

RXH2 Active Member

I think it means they will need to shut the pubs to get the teachers to go back to work....:D

tiggers likes this.
  10. gintonic

unlikely students didn't bother attending class before CV19.

stephen bennett likes this.
  11. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Why do schools need to be part of a trade off? Last I heard from the government was that schools were perfectly safe and the only people saying otherwise were the Bolshevik teacher unions agitating against the national interest?

We’re they lying?

Again?

Mole Man, Dozey, Snufkin and 2 others like this.
  12. eisenach

eisenach European

As an (ex-)teacher, I'd do it the other way round.

Mole Man, Marc O'Brien, Dozey and 3 others like this.
  13. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I don’t want to suggest that you’re being disingenuous, but are you sure you heard that schools are perfectly safe?

We all know that younger children have only a very slight risk of developing serious symptoms and they don't appear to be significant vectors to adults. So some primary classes may well be perfectly safe.

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

The point bring that the connection between pubs closing and schools opening is not obvious.

15. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

You're doing it again, 'may well' is not same as 'definitely will be'. The point here is that the government recently told us schools are re-opening and without social distancing as they believe the risk is minimal. The thing they are deliberately missing is not the kids getting it, it's the kids transmitting it... while thus far studies show transmission from children to adults to be less of an issue than transfer between adults it is not a zero option, it does happen and will do so all the more once the schools are open with no social distancing. Then there are teachers mingling with other teachers, parents etc. etc. We are just now seeing cases rise and the schools opening will not do anything other than add to this at some level.

Therefore if the government want to control the virus something else has to give to get the schools open.... pubs are likely to be a good way to spread the disease in winter when people won't drink outside so that is why, I presume, they are being targeted. On a personal level I don't drink and don't have kids of my own, but for the good of future society I feel the schools have to be a priority. The really sad thing is that we have to make a choice, if the government had handled this better I don't think we'd be in this position.

ff1d1l likes this.
  16. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Ah, I didn’t know, thanks for correcting me, I thought that they were saying

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...us-outbreak/guidance-for-full-opening-schools

17. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

18. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I was not saying that schools were safe. It was the government and it’s newspapers that said that the teacher’s unions were being disingenuous for saying that teachers were not safe to return to school.

Snufkin and sq225917 like this.
  19. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

20. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

This “advice’ is totally impractical in most school settings. Try teaching art from the front of the class