advertisement

Coronavirus: Pubs 'may need to shut' to allow schools to reopen

easy way round it is to separate the two groups. Ban everyone with children and those in contact with them from pubs and all social situations outside the home.

Leave the rest of us to enjoy the pub

Dragons Den reality TV personality Duncan Bannatyne is demanding to get his sweaty gyms open in Scotland or he’s shipping out.

easy way round it is to separate the two groups. Ban everyone with children and those in contact with them from pubs and all social situations outside the home.

Leave the rest of us to enjoy the pub

alternatively let the kids of feral

Why do schools need to be part of a trade off? Last I heard from the government was that schools were perfectly safe and the only people saying otherwise were the Bolshevik teacher unions agitating against the national interest?

We’re they lying?

Again?

Why do schools need to be part of a trade off? Last I heard from the government was that schools were perfectly safe
?

I don’t want to suggest that you’re being disingenuous, but are you sure you heard that schools are perfectly safe?

We all know that younger children have only a very slight risk of developing serious symptoms and they don't appear to be significant vectors to adults. So some primary classes may well be perfectly safe.

I don’t want to suggest that you’re being disingenuous, but are you sure you heard that schools are perfectly safe?

We all know that younger children have only a very slight risk of developing serious symptoms and they don't appear to be significant vectors to adults. So some primary classes may well be perfectly safe.
The point bring that the connection between pubs closing and schools opening is not obvious.

You're doing it again, 'may well' is not same as 'definitely will be'. The point here is that the government recently told us schools are re-opening and without social distancing as they believe the risk is minimal. The thing they are deliberately missing is not the kids getting it, it's the kids transmitting it... while thus far studies show transmission from children to adults to be less of an issue than transfer between adults it is not a zero option, it does happen and will do so all the more once the schools are open with no social distancing. Then there are teachers mingling with other teachers, parents etc. etc. We are just now seeing cases rise and the schools opening will not do anything other than add to this at some level.

Therefore if the government want to control the virus something else has to give to get the schools open.... pubs are likely to be a good way to spread the disease in winter when people won't drink outside so that is why, I presume, they are being targeted. On a personal level I don't drink and don't have kids of my own, but for the good of future society I feel the schools have to be a priority. The really sad thing is that we have to make a choice, if the government had handled this better I don't think we'd be in this position.

You're doing it again, 'may well' is not same as 'definitely will be'. The point here is that the government recently told us schools are re-opening and without social distancing as they believe the risk is minimal.

Ah, I didn’t know, thanks for correcting me, I thought that they were saying

It is strong public health advice that staff in secondary schools maintain distance from their pupils, staying at the front of the class, and away from their colleagues where possible. Ideally, adults should maintain 2 metre distance from each other, and from children.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...us-outbreak/guidance-for-full-opening-schools

Each setting and situation will vary in level of risk depending on what mitigating measures are in place, exposure, the percentage of infected people present, etc., but if you’re looking for aggregate data about risk of contracting COVID-19...

15lE8si.jpg

From https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

Joe

I was not saying that schools were safe. It was the government and it’s newspapers that said that the teacher’s unions were being disingenuous for saying that teachers were not safe to return to school.

Ah, I didn’t know, thanks for correcting me, I thought that they were saying

It is strong public health advice that staff in secondary schools maintain distance from their pupils, staying at the front of the class, and away from their colleagues where possible. Ideally, adults should maintain 2 metre distance from each other, and from children.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...us-outbreak/guidance-for-full-opening-schools
This “advice’ is totally impractical in most school settings. Try teaching art from the front of the class

advertisement

Back