advertisement

'Compact System Cameras'.. or...... ?

I recently took delivery of a Fuji T20 and must admit, I'm thinking of returning it.

The chances of me honestly carrying it about are slim. One of the reasons I have so many enjoyable photographs is that I usually have a device with me. The Lumix LX3 has served me well and I look at the images it produces and wonder why I am bothering to change.

The Fuji is positively huge. Compact is not an adjective I would apply personally. Compact compared to what? An EOS 1 with 600 f4?

Didn’t you check out the size and weight before buying? The Fujifilm CSCs are quite ‘brick’ like in size and heft. (Lots of metal for the traditionalists amongst us.)

Take a camera you know (LX3) and a pencil, a rule and some paper. Draw out the dimensions of the prospective new camera on paper and plonk your LX3 down on it to compare. Compare the weights too. All this info is online and takes very little effort to envision what you will get.

Better still - if you don’t live on the Faroe Islands/Ultima Thule, or some other blasted rock - is to pop down to your local camera shop or John Lewis or PC world (or whatever) and have a look.

Mull,

If you're buying a camera, these are the five Vukian steps to follow in order:

1. Buy a German camera.
2. OK, maybe buy a Japanese camera but make sure it can take German glass.
3. OK, if not German glass, then Japanese glass that Germans have said will be adequate.
4. Make sure the camera has dials and things.
5. Make sure you look like a suave mo-fo when carrying the camera.

Don't underestimate the importance of point 5. If the camera is awesome but you look like a dorken-meister when carrying it, do NOT buy that camera.

Joe

Mull,

1. Buy a German camera.
3. OK, if not German glass, then Japanese glass that Germans have said will be adequate.

Don't underestimate the importance of point 5. If the camera is awesome but you look like a dorken-meister when carrying it, do NOT buy that camera.

Joe

6. Do not use it to photograph old geezers.

The traditional appearance of the Fuji clashes with my lycra Joe.

By the way, this online widget is useful if you're trying to figure out if a camera is too big or too small or just right for Goldilocks.

http://camerasize.com

dbKe4Zt.png

Joe

Mike,

I'm picking up what you're putting down, man: My Fuji X100 clashes with my hot pants.

Joe

Which is why after faffing between the Canons and the LX100.. with a fair glance at the teeny Sony.. I have stuck to myvorigunal desire for a truly pocketable camera and bought a Panasonic DC TZ_200.
Not much pose factor.. but it is compact pocketable and nice to use.

As they say... all engineering is compromise...

mull.

you are banned for 3 months or until you purchase a camera that can take M-mount lenses.

I think at my age I shouldn't be packing anything bigger than an RX100.

Mull,

1. Buy a German camera.

Joe

joe.

you should publish a website that rates all cameras on this checklist.

Vuk,

The camera on the left satisfies point 1 and the camera on the right satisfies point 2.

leica-m9-vs-nikon-df-front-a.jpg

This combo gets you to point 3.

T6E1OoQ.jpg

Joe

Which is why after faffing between the Canons and the LX100.. with a fair glance at the teeny Sony.. I have stuck to myvorigunal desire for a truly pocketable camera and bought a Panasonic DC TZ_200.
Not much pose factor.. but it is compact pocketable and nice to use.

As they say... all engineering is compromise...

I hope you enjoy using it. I have the TZ 100 and find it good little camera while I carry it in a pouch it does fit in a reasonable sized pocket. You will have a better EVF and slightly longer reach with the lens. If I didn't have the TZ 100 I would seriously consider the TZ 200.

Unless your funds are limitless every buying decision requires compromise, perhaps every purchase is a compromise.

joe.

mirror + dust + digital sensor == cleaning nightmare

plus: you also need to factor in to the bulk/weight that lenses for mirrorless cameras are going to be smaller and lighter.

Vuk,

Leicas get dusty inside, too.

I do have one mirrorless camera, a Fuji X100. It's the poor man's Leica except it's not technically a rangefinder even though it looks like one. (Well, it's sorta a rangefinder. It has a rangefinder screen thingy that can be activated.)

7903789674_f22c3d9d56_c.jpg

21150649596_e92a7e7124_c.jpg

20988961138_90a68ee110_c.jpg

Joe

It could be because of where I live, but I’ve never found dust much of a problem in a digital camera. I find any dust can be removed with a rocket blower. After saying that I change lenses as quickly as possible - with the small Leica lenses I change lenses with one hand. I also make sure my back’s facing into the wind.

Joe, those are taken with the Japanese Camilla?

The last one reminds me of a Zappa album I listened to with my step sister in about 1981.

advertisement

Back