advertisement

'Compact System Cameras'.. or...... ?

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
I've probably asked something similar before, but this time I'm actually seriously geared up to spending some cash... so..

I currently use a Canon 450D DSLR.

It's a nice camera, but even on it's own, with just say a 'general purpose' kit lens on it, it's a bit of a lump for anything other than specific photography trips. And if I chuck 3/4 lenses, charger etc. in my camera bag, it becomes a real burden.

So, I'm looking at compact systems. I'm about to go out and have a cursory look in my local Currys or whatever they call it. Won't be buying from them, but there's nowhere else close where I can handle a few possibles to get a feel for size and weight etc.

Also.. I'm still left wondering whether I should just go for a really nice compact with a single, but versatile lens..

Any ideas/recommendations? Budget probably approaching £1k for a compact system jobbie with at least one lens. £500-£1k for a good compact.

Mull

I suspect I won't be alone in recommending Fuji X cameras. Lovely feel to them (very important in my book) and most of the lenses I have used are superb. Thinking of your budget, they are cheap enough 2nd hand to get a good one to experiment with

I think with the Fujis you have some choices, if your not chasing the latest technology and don't photo anything that moves fast, a secondhand X-T10 or X-T1 would leave more funds for glass. If you fancy the latest tech than the X-T20 is a very good shout, if you wait a couple of weeks I think you might start to see some discounting on the X-T20 +16-50mm bundles, as rumour has it that the bundle lens is going to be replaced with the new 15-45 pancake zoom.

Obviously there are also some excellent MFT alternatives from Olympus and Panasonic in your budget.

Camerapricebuster is a useful site for seeing waht you can get for your money (it can be a real time bandit though!!) https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

The Panasonic G80 is worth considering. Camera handles well and you could buy a decent lens in your budget.

I agree, I bought a G80 for my son who does a lot of video work as well as stills, and even though I'm a diehard Fuji shooter, its an impressive piece of kit, that said if you don't need all the G80 features the same sensor and IBIS is available in lesser priced Panasonics, leaving more £££ for glass.

Handling is essential.
The Mrs and I bought an OM10 as a second/holiday cam and whilst the oic quality is fine for that, and the lenses are great, light and a good range, handling, even for her medium hands is annoying. Conststly knocking the focus position switch (which cannot be locked to prevent this) even with the extra accessory grip fitted.

The compact suspects will be Fuji, Panasonic Olympus and Sony. CSCs are brilliant and your budget should get you something very good. Avoid super zoom ranges. Tempting tho it is, and despite the salesman's patter about anti shake systems giving you 4 extra stops, you are just buying poorer quality pics. 3x or 4X zoom is fine...walk about a bit instead! :)

If you do decide on a simple one camera solution I'd say woohoo, as long as every time you pick it up, nothing annoys you. That's the key.

Who said 'the camera that takes the best pics is the one you want to use most'. Nothing is truer.

Browse DPreview tests and comparisons: https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides
and, try John Lewis is one is nearish. They have a great range and let you muck about for ages.

My own Mull camera would be:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a6500

Many thanks for replies so far. I went to the local Curry's yesterday and had a mooch. Sadly, my normally reliable Samsung A3 phone decided to lock its camera into 'very blurred mode', which even the techie types at Curry's couldn't fx, so my plan to take lots of pics of cameras and prices etc. failed. However, I got a basic overview of stuff especially Fuji Panasonic and Sony offerings. It was though difficult to get any real info about, for e.g., the range of available lenses for each system.

I've used a couple of lower end Fuji X compact cameras both of which took very nice pics until my youngest borrowed and then either lost, destroyed or had them stolen. If they've improved the intelligibility of their menu systems I'd be well disposed to them.

Another slight worry is that some of these cameras are not much physically smaller than my Canon 450D. I've checked the measurements. I dare say they are generally lighter though.

This still leaves me wondering whether I should in the first instance buy a really nice compact/'pocketable' camera for practicality on holiday etc. Fuji X100s appeals.. Then look to maybe replace my ageing Canon DSLR with a CSC at a later date?

I should say that getting it right is more of an issue than budget.

My nearest Jessops is Preston. May have a look up there next week. Not that far.. John Lewis in Liverpool also... within free 'Old Git's Bus Pass range.. :)

P.S. I fixed the phone. Turned it off and back on again... Isn't technoloogy wonderful?

When you buy a camera body you buy into a system.
Check if it has the lenses you want. And if you can afford those that you need. Canon has a very wide EF and EF-S range but their EF-M range is quite limited.

Play with the body for a bit, see if it feels comfortable in your hand and if the buttons and dials are well positioned.
Does it have all the features that you need?
I switch between matrix- and spot-metering a lot and it's nice to have direct access to this.
I prefer old school knobs and rings to buttons and dials.

If you wear glasses, as I do, it might be worth comparing viewfinder sizes.

Do you use Auto-ISO, or would you benefit from using a properly implemented version?

Good out-of-camera JPEG or RAW-fiddling?

Battery life?

Image stabilisation?

High-ISO performance?

Shutter noise?

AF speed?

Built-in flash?

Sketching up a list of the features which matter is a good way to shortlist.

Most cameras will have good enough image quality anyway...

This still leaves me wondering whether I should in the first instance buy a really nice compact/'pocketable' camera for practicality on holiday etc. Fuji X100s appeals.. Then look to maybe replace my ageing Canon DSLR with a CSC at a later date?

I should say that getting it right is more of an issue than budget.

My nearest Jessops is Preston. May have a look up there next week. Not that far.. John Lewis in Liverpool also... within free 'Old Git's Bus Pass range.. :)

P.S. I fixed the phone. Turned it off and back on again... Isn't technoloogy wonderful?

Whenever compact cameras come up, Sony's Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 V comes up winner. I've never read a test which sees it beaten. It's about the best IQ for that size of camera there is.
With just a few compromises however, you can get VERY close to its IQ with Canon's new Power Shot G9X Mk11, and that is half the Sonys price. Really a bit of a bargain.
I like the Fuji's but I was impressed by the IQ from those two when I saw them.

DPReview have a good image comparison on each test. Find the Sony, go to the IQ page and you see a chart. Add another camera in the comparison bar (you can add your current cam for reference) and then use the zoom box to study different image areas. It's not the whole story, but it does suggest what is worth paying for and what isn't.
I've set up a page here with some typical competitors and the canon and sony as mentioned above...hope it works!?

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g9-x-mark-ii-review/4

You'll get the idea!

Some great sugestions. The Sony is very appealing... If I went for that I'd get the version V and still be a bit miffed when the VI appears in a week or so... :(

Some great sugestions. The Sony is very appealing... If I went for that I'd get the version V and still be a bit miffed when the VI appears in a week or so... :(

Check the Sony in your hands first, it is quite small, and if you have large hands/fingers you may find it (realtively) hard to use, also the Sony RX100 EVFs are not particularly large, you will notice a much 'bigger' viewfinder on camera further up the food chain.

Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-V-vs-Canon-EOS-450D-top-view-size-comparison.jpg

Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-V-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G85-top-view-size-comparison.jpg

Great site and the above images say it all really!! Thank you Derek.

Mull

For image quality don't forget the mk 3 of the RX100. I think the main differences in mk4 and mk5 tend to be video related, happy to be corrected if wrong. Very happy with my mk 3...

I'm compiling a very useful shortlist....

Definitely visiting both John Lewis and Jessops next week.

Good shout. Also some mention of viewfinders above. I manage ok with my specs and the VF on the 450D, so I suppose it depends on whether the VFs on the compacts are flexible/adjustable.

advertisement

Back