advertisement

'Compact System Cameras'.. or...... ?

Here's another 'casual' shot ( Read 'rushed' because taking my glove off for ten seconds risked severe frost bite during Beast from the East 1, even though we had little snow. The camera was the one in ,my Samsung A3 (16) phone. Not too shabby.. ( Apart from the gormless subject.. obvs...:) ) And pushing me back towards CSCs. The obvious answer is that I need a CSC and a true pocketable compact.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LNqi5oF4GPzDOypn1

I've gone a step further and currently carry along one body, one wide-normal prime, a lenspen and a spare battery. I may have missed a few nice photos but using a single fixed lens exclusively is an interesting challenge.

I've gone on long walks with my 450D and just the f1.8 50mm prime. It does make you work.. and walk about a bit.. But it is about as light as it gets with a DSLR.

Still too much for dragging about everywhere though..

Leighcanal.03.01.09 007 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ycXvMc]Leighcanal.03.01.09 017
by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yuue5c]Leighcanal.03.01.09 036
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/136033576@N07/[/url][/url]

Here's another 'casual' shot ( Read 'rushed' because taking my glove off for ten seconds risked severe frost bite during Beast from the East 1, even though we had little snow. The camera was the one in ,my Samsung A3 (16) phone. Not too shabby.. ( Apart from the gormless subject.. obvs...:) ) And pushing me back towards CSCs. The obvious answer is that I need a CSC and a true pocketable compact.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LNqi5oF4GPzDOypn1

mull.

part of the "raison d'être" of a camera for a man is to take pictures of a women, not the old geezers of england -- we've got mick and his noctilux for that.

if you are already carrying a phone (i am not), then why can't that be your compact? the point of going larger than compact is to gain some more flexibility at the expense of bulk...

perhaps you need to explain the artistic purpose here a little better.

I've gone on long walks with my 450D and just the f1.8 50mm prime. It does make you work.. and walk about a bit.. But it is about as light as it gets with a DSLR.

Still too much for dragging about everywhere though..

My favourite EF-S lens is the 24mm f/2.8 pancake...small, light, very sharp.

I almost got a 100D but the X-T1 has a larger finder, knobs and rings and an amazing Auto-ISO.

My favourite EF-S lens is the 24mm f/2.8 pancake...small, light, very sharp.

I almost got a 100D but the X-T1 has a larger finder, knobs and rings and an amazing Auto-ISO.

yep, I have that combo - 100D and the pancake lens and it's really decent, but if I'm wanting to have a prime lens attached, I'll tend to stick with my sigma f1.4 30mm... :)

there is also a new canon 200D, but it is a bit bigger than the 100D...

mull.

part of the "raison d'être" of a camera for a man is to take pictures of a women, not the old geezers of england -- we've got mick and his noctilux for that.

if you are already carrying a phone (i am not), then why can't that be your compact? the point of going larger than compact is to gain some more flexibility at the expense of bulk...

perhaps you need to explain the artistic purpose here a little better.

As I understand it, the cameras in Samsung phones like mine are pretty highly thought of, but for all practical purposes they are 'point and shoot', so hardly ideal for anything more than 'snaps'
There are many many beautiful shots of many many beautiful women available online,(I'm told..) or in the mags on the top shelf in the newsagents.... I don't think I need to go around inviting a slap (or worse) by furtively 'snapping' women.. :D

Like most relatively 'normal' people, I use my cameras for both casual 'snaps' and for attempts at more serious/artistic shots of a wide range of subjects. Does that help you to understand my motivation? :rolleyes:

yep, I have that combo - 100D and the pancake lens and it's really decent, but if I'm wanting to have a prime lens attached, I'll tend to stick with my sigma f1.4 30mm... :)

there is also a new canon 200D, but it is a bit bigger than the 100D...

I don't need a fast lens.
I shoot 99% of my photos somewhere between f8 and f16 depending on the lighting conditions, and I want sharp corners.

I shoot 99% of my photos somewhere between f8 and f16 depending on the lighting conditions, and I want sharp corners.

yep, I tend to take it when I know I'm going to be going into the early evening / night time...otherwise I shoot over f3.2 :) life's too short for carrying around various lenses..

yep, I tend to take it when I know I'm going to be going into the early evening / night time...otherwise I shoot over f3.2 :) life's too short for carrying around various lenses..

I never got along well with zooms but at one time back in the days of film my bag held a 25mm, a 50mm and an 80-200mm. I kept a 35mm on the camera most of the time, and used the zoom. The others hardly ever got out. Tried to use a 28-70mm but it just didn't feel right, and the (creative) quality of the photos was suffering. My biggest mistake was buying an 85mm f1.4 which was used not more than a dozen times...
Nowadays I am happy with the smallest and lightest possible prime with an FF-equiv. focal length of around 40mm.

Good points. I don't much like the results with my EF-S 17 -85 zoom. I have a Sigma 10-20 wide angle zoom, but though I like the results, it is a bit heavy. And even the 50mm f1.8 prime which I love is effectively about 70 mm due to crop factor.

.. I must try to get some film for my Kodak Instamatic 100.. :)

kodak_instamatic_100.jpg

I’d avoid f16, you’re going to lose definition due to diffraction effects. That’s not the same as saying never use it of course, but I try not to go beyond f5.6-8.

I'm always reminded of a (possibly apocryphal) tale where a young photo journalist asked an 'Old Hack' to advise on the best basic aperture setting. The reply. "f 8 .... and be there..."

mull.

why don't you come by and we can do a private "workshop" some time this summer?

No probs.
Just been in Wilkinsons.

Canon PowerShot G1X Mk3 really appeals.
Nice feel. Excellent vf even with my specs.
Better in the hand than the tiny Sony but still pocketable. Nice controls with decent grip/feel. Very good specs. No good commenting on Menus/navigation etc because I'm always slow to grasp that. Will see if any reviews but I think my quest could be over.

advertisement

Back