advertisement

Classical Bargain Box Sets

881488130386.jpg

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8034776--gunter-wand-the-radio-recordings

That`s a great set - it includes what is as far as I know the only complete recording of his opera Koanga which was never performed during Delius`s lifetime.

LSO is having an online sale and included is this 5-SACD/1-blu ray complete symphonies Sibelius box set for £20.24 delivered

Cover_LSO0175_LSO0675_3000px_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I have finally lost my SACD virginity.

I'm tempted myself as I'm a Sibelius virgin, as it were. I've heard of him but I don't think I've ever heard his music and known that it's his. I wonder what Todd would say as I know he owns the two Sibelius box sets by Rattle. I'll pop over to Youtube for a sample...

I'm tempted myself as I'm a Sibelius virgin, as it were. I've heard of him but I don't think I've ever heard his music and known that it's his. I wonder what Todd would say as I know he owns the two Sibelius box sets by Rattle. I'll pop over to Youtube for a sample...

Forgive my ignorance, I don’t hang out here too often... I assume ‘Todd’ has nothing to do with Rundgren... no, thought not. I’ll get my coat.

Todd compared the twp Sibelius box set by Rattle here last year. I would have been interested to know his thoughts on this LSO box set... but it doesn't matter because after a quick listen to Sibelius 4 on Youtube, I'm confident that I'll be more happy with the box set so I went ahead and ordered a copy for myself anyway :)

I'm tempted myself as I'm a Sibelius virgin, as it were. I've heard of him but I don't think I've ever heard his music and known that it's his.

Being a heathen this was my first exposure to Sibelius when I was thirteen or so. I hope posting it doesn’t cause the entire classical section to self-immolate.

The guy saying ‘Yeah!’ in the middle of Keith’s Hammond disembowelling at 6’55” still cracks me up.

Being a heathen this was my first exposure to Sibelius when I was thirteen or so. I hope posting it doesn’t cause the entire classical section to self-immolate.

The guy saying ‘Yeah!’ in the middle of Keith’s Hammond disembowelling at 6’55” still cracks me up.

It's Sibelius, Jim... :)

Todd compared the twp Sibelius box set by Rattle here last year. I would have been interested to know his thoughts on this LSO box set... but it doesn't matter because after a quick listen to Sibelius 4 on Youtube, I'm confident that I'll be more happy with the box set so I went ahead and ordered a copy for myself anyway :)

I've not heard that set, but I've heard Davis' first cycle and parts of the second cycle. He's a reliable hand in Sibelius. At the right price, I'm sure the LSO set would be a good buy.

If you are new to Sibelius, I'd say the 4th is not the easiest to start with. I'd start first with 5, then 2, 1, & 3. The 4th is a great piece, but not his most accessible, and maybe takes a bit more investment in time to appreciate - wouldn't want you to be put off this great composer!

It just so happens I've just finished listing to disc 1 featuring symphonies 1 and 4 from the Sibelius box set and based on what I've heard so far, I'll be more than happy to invest the time required to get to know these two symphonies and presumably, the same goes for the rest of the box set. However, I feel as though the conclusion to the 4th symphony is missing something. It's like Sibelius wrapped up the symphony with all the right notes and expression but then forgot to punctuate it with a bow tie of some sort. I listened to the fourth movement twice to see if I felt the same both times and I'm afraid I do. I can't say how the symphony ought to end, but it feels like it's missing something. A daaaaa, da-da, perhaps. Or maybe a da, da, daaaaa. I don't know. It just feels a tad unresolved.

5, 6 & 7 are the best, with a shout out to the 3rd as a bit of transformational piece and neo-classical before neo-classical was a thing.

the 1st is really just reheated Tchaikovsky + standard end-19thC. romantic nationalism - pretty, picturesque but no masterpiece. The 2nd is something much more interesting, very original inn the first 3 movements compared to his contemporaries, but the bomabastic swinging tune in the finale puts me off - until the magnificent coda.

I've never really managed to grasp the 4th - its too austere and kind of grim, but its is very like distilled pure essence of Sibelius so still essential listening. Luckily the 5, 6 & 7th put more flesh on the bones and all three are wonderful.

Make sure you try his tone poems too - most especially "Night Ride and Sunrise" and Tapiola.

Funnily enough its the 7th I struggle with the most. I have listened to it many times, but I still don't really get it.

I also strongly recommend the violin concerto.

I just finished listening to disc 2 of the Sibelius box-set featuring Pohjola's Daughter and Symphony No.2. Unlike the 4th symphony, this one has a finale!

I find the ending of the fifth incredibly frustrating. All that magnificent music, then just a perfect cadence laid bare. It always sounds incomplete to me.

advertisement

Back