advertisement

Classical Bargain Box Sets

Yes, I got that one too. A fiver, I think. Perhaps there should be a ‘Box sets you haven’t got all the way through yet’ thread. I’d do quite well, about seven, I think. Two still in shrink wrap after six or eight months on the shelf.

Yes,it`s a problem - I usually start off with disc one intending to go through it all in order - then get side tracked to a particularly interesting disc, then hop about cherry picking and before I`m half way through a new interesting set or disc turns up....

It's a 48 CD Wagner set that has defeated me. I tried to listen to one CD every day, but after less than a week I felt that I had had enough of (in my mind's eye) large women wearing horned helmets to last me several lifetimes.

It's a 48 CD Wagner set that has defeated me. I tried to listen to one CD every day, but after less than a week I felt that I had had enough of (in my mind's eye) large women wearing horned helmets to last me several lifetimes.

Would that be the Brilliant Classics set?

It's this one. Apologies, it's a mere 40 CDs, not 48.

I bought that too, but ended up sticking it in the shop (its still there) as I still find myself in the category of preferring to listen to five minutes of Bach than a week of Wagner. I can just about cope with Solti’s Ring, but that’s all I can ever imagine actually returning to!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've got that box set as well. I think I can just about cope with the non-operatic stuff but other than that, I can see myself passing it on to a charity shop sometime in the future.

Wagner (particularly the Operas rather than the orchestral music) is very much an acquired taste I think, and does require some persistence. I only really got into the Ring properly after attending a live cycle some years ago, for which I'd prepared for by hours of listening first. Don't dismiss it too readily - its utterly unique, and contains much truly extraordinary and wonderful music. One of the great pinnacles of classical music IMHO.

Try the Ring Orchestral highlights from that set as a starting point (Szell conducting, disc 36)

Wagner (particularly the Operas rather than the orchestral music) is very much an acquired taste I think... Don't dismiss it too readily - its utterly unique, and contains much truly extraordinary and wonderful music... Try the Ring Orchestral highlights from that set as a starting point (Szell conducting, disc 36)

I will tonight, I promise. I’ll skip ‘Ride of the Valkyries’ with your permission though, that’s going from one extreme of familiarity to the other.

I should warn you that you are dealing with something of a heathen here Gustav - I’m afraid I have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to your music too!

I will tonight, I promise. I’ll skip ‘Ride of the Valkyries’ with your permission though, that’s going from one extreme of familiarity to the other.

By all means :)

I should warn you that you are dealing with something of a heathen here Gustav - I’m afraid I have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to your music too!

I'm sorry to hear that - I worked jolly hard producing all those symphonies!

Could someone please point me to a boxed CD set of complete works by Vaughan Williams please-does a set exist?

[QUOTE="narabdela, post: 3515473Now, if you'd only get around to finishing that 10th.... ;)[/QUOTE]

He did finish the 10th, but because of superstition named it as a song cycle rather than a symphony. Then he died.

167.jpg

Coming next month. It's listed at HMV Japan. Don't know if/when it shows up at the Amazons. I've got two complete Haydn symphony sets that I occasionally dip into. Do I need another?

advertisement

Back