advertisement

Classical Bargain Box Sets

This LSO Live Sibelius box-set claimed to include downloads in a variety of formats on the blu ray - mp3, WAV, 24/96 FLAC and DSD - and sure enough, the blu ray contains all these download options as well as media for playing. I take my hat off to LSO Live for not only knocking out a great box-set at a great price, but also for unlocking the blu ray so that the end user can consume the media in a format and on a platform of their choosing - well done LSO Live!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This LSO Live Sibelius box-set claimed to include downloads in a variety of formats on the blu ray - mp3, WAV, 24/96 FLAC and DSD - and sure enough, the blu ray contains all these download options as well as media for playing. I take my hat off to LSO Live for not only knocking out a great box-set at a great price, but also for unlocking the blu ray so that the end user can consume the media in a format and on a platform of their choosing - well done LSO Live!
Derek, do you get a code to download the hi res files when you buy the discs? Or how does it work? Also what signal format would Bdp output to a dac when playing a blu Ray pure audio disc? Presume I need hdmi link to do that? I have a NAD dac which takes hdmi
I think I’m now going to have to spring for their JEG Mendelssohn set- hes brilliant at Mendelssohn.

https://lsolive.lso.co.uk/collectio...es-nos-1-5-overtures-a-midsummer-nights-dream

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The files are all on the blu ray disc Hugh so all you have to do is pop the blu ray disc into your computer's disc reading drive - assuming it's compatible with blu ray discs - and use Explorer (or Finder on mac) to navigate to the files that can then be downloaded straight from the disc to your computer. If you get stuck let me know and I'll see if I can sort something out :)

The blu ray outputs 24/96 audio and oh my, what a bargain the Mendelssohn box set is - LSO Live are knocking out some great bargains for sure.

This LSO Live 10-CD/6-SACD Berlioz box set is currently a smidge under £25 here @ Amazon. I'm tempted to buy it myself but I'm not a big opera fan and there's a lot of opera in the box set! And what's more, I don't even know if I'm a fan of Berlioz - big or small - as I've never really heard his music before. At any rate, £25 seems petty good compared to the price of £36 @ LSO Live.

51ysRRZuafL._AC_US218_.jpg

Probably a temporary glitch, but Amazon.de currently offer the Paul Badura-Skoda 20-cd box set for Eur21.99 (as against £43.14 on Amazon.co.uk).

This LSO Live Sibelius box-set claimed to include downloads in a variety of formats on the blu ray - mp3, WAV, 24/96 FLAC and DSD - and sure enough, the blu ray contains all these download options as well as media for playing.

I have quite a few LSO Live blu-ray discs, some 24bit/192kHz, with a hybrid CD/SACD thrown in. The blu-ray have multi-channel & stereo - I play the stereo tracks through my Oppo universal players & the recording quality is excellent but the CDs sound equally good - but I have never bothered with the downloads. It reminds me to have alook on their website again as I have a discount code from my last purchases & there have been quite a few additions to the catalogue since then.

I have quite a few LSO Live blu-ray discs, some 24bit/192kHz, with a hybrid CD/SACD thrown in. The blu-ray have multi-channel & stereo - I play the stereo tracks through my Oppo universal players & the recording quality is excellent but the CDs sound equally good - but I have never bothered with the downloads. It reminds me to have alook on their website again as I have a discount code from my last purchases & there have been quite a few additions to the catalogue since then.

Yeah, LSO Live box sets offer great value. I've now got three: Sibelius, Mendelssohn and Neilsen... but I'm sure I'll be buying more in the future :)

I'm now playing the last CD in this Sviatoslav Richter Live At Carnegie Hall box set that I bought way back in July 2017. Although the audio quality is rough in places - particularly the first discs in the box set - on the whole, the performances have been quite entertaining and well worth the price of admission.

51YtWMei46L._AC_US218_.jpg

This LSO Live 10-CD/6-SACD Berlioz box set is currently a smidge under £25 here @ Amazon. I'm tempted to buy it myself but I'm not a big opera fan and there's a lot of opera in the box set! And what's more, I don't even know if I'm a fan of Berlioz - big or small - as I've never really heard his music before. At any rate, £25 seems petty good compared to the price of £36 @ LSO Live.

51ysRRZuafL._AC_US218_.jpg
He did a lot of drugs. Grand Mess des Morts- eight sets of timpani , four brass sections spread throughout the auditorium.

Here’s Dudamel’s memorial performance for Claudio Abbado at Notre Dame. The wall of timpani opens up at 32 minutes in,

Last edited:
Are we getting carried away? I already have ca.1200 CDs and 250GB of downloads, many of rather obscure stuff. A few recordings never even played, let alone learned. I'll never get round to listening to all of it properly, even if I live to be 90.

And if I did get round to playing it all, I might have been better off playing (say) all of Schubert's final 2 years several times over instead...

Are we getting carried away? I already have ca.1200 CDs and 250GB of downloads, many of rather obscure stuff. A few recordings never even played, let alone learned. I'll never get round to listening to all of it properly, even if I live to be 90.

And if I did get round to playing it all, I might have been better off playing (say) all of Schubert's final 2 years several times over instead...

That's why my philosophy, mantra, call it what you will, is curate rather than collect. I went through my music collection earlier this year and pruned off about 20-25% of it. I only want to keep the music that does it for me. Although I still buy new music I try to listen to it before buying it, which, thanks to the internet, is possible for just about everything except perhaps new releases and rare stuff. So yeah, I agree it's quite possible to end up with a collection that'll take a lifetime or two to listen to and enjoy, but with some pruning and careful selection going forwards, it's possible to keep that collection in check :)

That's why my philosophy, mantra, call it what you will, is curate rather than collect. I went through my music collection earlier this year and pruned off about 20-25% of it. I only want to keep the music that does it for me. Although I still buy new music I try to listen to it before buying it, which, thanks to the internet, is possible for just about everything except perhaps new releases and rare stuff. So yeah, I agree it's quite possible to end up with a collection that'll take a lifetime or two to listen to and enjoy, but with some pruning and careful selection going forwards, it's possible to keep that collection in check :)

I do this with everything else in our home. Perhaps it's time I start working on my music library.

I occasionally find myself buying a box or a new recording, and if the hard disc is full I might prune a few things, but the working assumption is that if/when I end up in an old folks' home the absolute minimum requirement will be a laptop, dac/hpa and my trusty HD650s. Otherwise I'm not going!

advertisement

Back