advertisement

Classical Bargain Box Sets

^ It doesn't have his magnificent recording of Alpensinfonie! That's one of his greatest.... far better than his merely good performance of Ein Heldenleben.
I still can’t come to terms with avatars. I read your post three times thinking ‘surely that’s a bad thing - so why is he happy about it?’ before it clicked.

Please let us know how it is once you've received it. Looks very interesting!

I'm not sure I will be buying it. I have well over half of the set already, probably closer to two-thirds. I will be watching for discounted prices with some eagerness. I love Kubelik's conducting and recommend him without reservation in just about everything.

I havn't yet been able to find a list of the individual CDs in it...apart from the usual mish-mash list on Amazon of individual movements, which is not very helpful. Nothing on DG's own website, at least, as of a day or so ago.

I'm not sure I will be buying it. I have well over half of the set already, probably closer to two-thirds. I will be watching for discounted prices with some eagerness. I love Kubelik's conducting and recommend him without reservation in just about everything.
Thanks for getting back.

https://www.amazon.it/Vivaldi-Recor...pID=61qJU8It1EL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Approx.€49 (£44) delivered . . . 27 cds.

I’m familiar with a lot of this music but my current cds are of varying quality.
I do like my baroque on modern instruments and to sound gorgeous,lush and mellow.I recently bought five I Musici cds.All had wonderful involving sound quality except one Albinoni . . . recorded sound disappointingly too distant.
Hopefully I’ll hit the jackpot with this lot.

This from the general thread:

Complete Bartok on Decca now down to its lowest price ever, £48.99 for a 32CD box.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks, I’ve grabbed one of those. I suspect it might be a bit more accessible than the Sony box I already have, and amazingly there doesn’t seem to be any overlap.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm currently playing the final disc of this epic 50 Great Recordings box set: the final disc being Beethoven's 4th and 5th symphonies by Thielemann/Weiner Philharmoniker. Unlike the first 25 CDs that contain 4 discs I'll never play again because the music and/or recording wasn't up to scratch, as it were, I'm pleased to say that there are no CDs in this half of the collection that I'll never play again. Admittedly, most of the music in the second half falls into what I call the compatible zone - music that I can get on with, but which doesn't really get me going if you know what I mean - but there are a few gems that stand out nonetheless. Unfortunately, I've forgotten which discs are gems and which are not, but that's not a problem: the main purpose of the first sweep through the box set is to identify the duds, whereafter I can begin to dig out the diamonds till I've gathered a collection of 'great recordings' of my own curation. But first, I must make a start on this Richter box set that I apparently bought in July 2017 :)

51SE5My8+yL._AC_US218_.jpg

They’re at it again...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G4PV0H2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Not quite the (non existent) £12 bargain of a few years ago
https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/strauss-opera-bargain.200560/

but the entire operatic output of Strauss over 33 discs for fifty quid.

I was listening to part of the Rossini Petite Messe Solonnelle on R3 this morning and don’t have a CD version. Pappano’s sounded tempting then I nailed Chailly’s Bologna recording for ten bob from Music Magpie.

I remember that episode, 33 discs for fifty quid isn`t so bad but I already have too many of the Strauss operas to make it a sensible way to fill a couple of gaps.

I have the Chailly Petite Messe Solennelle - very good though it was a bit more than ten bob....

But first, I must make a start on this Richter box set that I apparently bought in July 2017 :)

Yes, I got that one too. A fiver, I think. Perhaps there should be a ‘Box sets you haven’t got all the way through yet’ thread. I’d do quite well, about seven, I think. Two still in shrink wrap after six or eight months on the shelf.

I think I've only got the last two CDs to listen to for the time from the Richter box set... yep, just two to go (I turn the discs I've played upside down, well, the individual case upside down so that I know which ones I've still to play for the first time). Once I get to the end I'll start again but focus on figuring out which ones I really like (there have been a few with the Richter box set but some I'll only ever play one more time before I know it's a dud).

(I turn the discs I've played upside down, well, the individual case upside down so that I know which ones I've still to play for the first time). Once I get to the end I'll start again but focus on figuring out which ones I really like...

I adopt a similar procedure but it can take some time. Over a year in the case of the Decca 50 CD boxes...

advertisement

Back