advertisement

Classic British Modern & Free Jazz Recommendations

New Binker And Moses album, ‘Escape The Flames’, just announced on Bandcamp. Limited edition 2xLP of 500 on clear vinyl. I’ve just grabbed one, obvs.

FWIW where there is a choice and the price is the same Bandcamp tends to be the better option as you automatically get a download there in a format of your choice (including lossless) should you want one. A huge amount of vinyl these days does not come with a code.

Just buy it - it’ll be fabulous!

The interesting one is also from Jon Hiseman’s archive: a truly rare Mike Taylor Quartet live recording from 64/65. Can’t wait!

I keep looking at this, wondering if I should bite.

https://jazzinbritain1.bandcamp.com/album/black-white-raga

I was just looking at some of the other stuff they have and saw this free to download track Ray Russell's Rock Workshop - Street war

It's from that period in the early 70's when a lot of musicians were experimenting with so called Jazz/Rock, so it may not appeal to all, but I love the chaotic feel to it! Quite a line of musicians of that period featured, including Bob Downes - tenor sax, flute, alto flute. Bob Downes Open Music – Electric city (Vertigo) was one of my favourite albums of the era. I don’t think Bob made many more records, but I loved this album.

Earlier this year Discus reissued Tony Oxley’s February Papers on CD from original tapes. A classic TO Incus title from the mid 70s. Available to stream on Qobuz/Tidal, but best to buy direct from Discus/Bandcamp.

My physical copy of Matthew Halsall's "Salute To The Sun" arrived today. I ordered the deluxe edition and it's a beautiful object - heavy card and gold foil sleeve, clear vinyl and half-speed mastered. It sounds fantastic! Just the thing after a cold wet morning on the bike.

R-464245-1504134282-7854.jpeg.jpg

I’m sure I’ve recommended this before but I’m slowly coming to the conclusion this is one of the greatest of all Classic British jazz records.

Just back from Binker Golding quartet in Camden. Very enjoyable but don’t think we need to be heralding a new golden age quite yet.

Just back from Binker Golding quartet in Camden. Very enjoyable but don’t think we need to be heralding a new golden age quite yet.

I’m surprised there are any gigs at all, how did he get around social distancing etc?

I’ve got most if not all of his recorded output I guess. The quartet album Abstractions Of Reality Past And Incredible Feathers is very good, I guess some variation thereof is what you saw tonight. I like it a lot (lovely pressing too) but maybe a bit knowingly commercial. His duo based stuff seems a lot more free, the Binker & Moses album veering into both late John and Alice Coltrane territory, and the Ex Nihilo live duet with pianist Eliot Galvin is right out there! One to watch for sure.

I’m surprised there are any gigs at all, how did he get around social distancing etc?

Well, apparantly, Concorde 2 in Brighton are trying some gigs, because I got this email:

We're incredibly pleased to announce that our December programme of socially distanced shows is still going ahead!

Plus we will be permitted to serve alcohol to customers attending our ticketed events, without being required to provide a substantial meal.

All shows will be fully seated in tables of up to 6 and tickets are limited to one table per customer.

By attending any socially distanced event at Concorde2 you are confirming that you are adhering to all governments guidelines with regards to Tier 2 indoor hospitality. These guidelines include that those attending are members of the same household or bubble

All tickets can be bought in confidence, if the show cannot go ahead for any reason you will receive a full refund including booking fee.

We’ve been working really hard to make sure the venue is ready for this new format and you can rest assured that every measure is being taken to ensure you can enjoy your night safely.

Do you have this on record? Must be worth quite a bit. I have a decent CD version. Even on CD, these classic british jazz records are not easy to find.
R-464245-1504134282-7854.jpeg.jpg

I’m sure I’ve recommended this before but I’m slowly coming to the conclusion this is one of the greatest of all Classic British jazz records.

Hi Hockman sadly it’s not an original but reissue. As for the gig really good to see live music again but perhaps might have had a slightly tighter grip on numbers.

advertisement

Back