advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean. I think one signifies dismay, the other acceptance. A bit like two of the stages of grief.

'Multiple-usage glossary'. Is that American terminology?

Sorry, I mean an American term...

'Multiple-usage glossary'. Is that American terminology?

Sorry, I mean an American term...
I don’t know... I meant a glossary listing the various meanings of yellow faces when used in a multiple fashion (ie more than one at a time.) I think the American version might be something more like ‘plurality enlightenment facilitator.’

I don’t know... I meant a glossary listing the various meanings of yellow faces when used in a multiple fashion (ie more than one at a time.) I think the American version might be something more like ‘plurality enlightenment facilitator.’
Indeed. I imagine it is a bit like the language of flowers back in Jane Austen's day.

So o_O:(:rolleyes: means something different to :rolleyes::(o_O for instance, but the actual subtleties of it are known only to adepts.

The range of yellow-faced thingys is lamentably limited on pfm. I've quite recently discovered WhatsApp. The choice of yellow-faces is simply awesome.

This is for wacko, who has been tapping his metaphorical fingers against his metaphorical glass of Kumeu River Chardonnay waiting for me to get stuck into my stash of 2016 Coudoulet.

50135120342_4a5dbaabd2.jpg

Well I did, last night. And I was disappointed. Too much expectation, perhaps, but I was underwhelmed. Tonight’s half, though, a different matter. A little bit nearer a Beaucastel than last night’s Guigal CdR impersonation. So two things - there’s a lot longer to go here, so I don’t think I’ll try another this side of Christmas, and maybe I should stop being pig-headed in my old age and give this decanting mullarkey another chance. I’ve had more than my share of second-day reassessments lately.

^ Ha some truth in that. Maybe you have been drinking too many of those big beefy Bouza/Madiran type wines recently ?
You are really enjoying using the Butler's Friend: surely not necessary on a 2016 ? I couldn't keep my hands off a few of my Coudoulet and really enjoyed them, but haven't had one for about 6 months. CdR can have a dumb/'going to sleep for a while' phase so your experience suggests it wise to leave them until next year. The middle of the 'window' is 2023.
Quite a few comments on CT that it needs air so if you can't be faffed with a decant and like to keep half for the next day then one of the little aerator gadgets for about £15 will get air into the wine faster. I was dubious but using it can change the taste quickly on young wines.
A friend who is more disciplined than I am usually keeps a glass or two to reassess on the next day. Good wine often gets better like good curry.

Last edited:
That would be Tiktok, grandad.

Obviously I had to look that one up. 15 seconds? Seems about right for a Young Person’s attention span.
Unbelievable. Makes me so cross when that happens.
See - that one has moved on already!

You are really enjoying using the Butler's Friend: surely not necessary on a 2016 ?
I’m trying to remember to use it full time for the storage reasons I mentioned upstream.

Be patient with 2016 S.Rhone.
This was my first toe-dip*. I’ve been guilty of leaving bottles for too long in the past - I certainly think I went the other way here. Having said that, on the second day it was already more enjoyable than the 2012 I had a few months ago.

*I lied, I’ve already sunk a 2016 Mégaphone.

I like Corbières a lot. I don’t have much at the moment, just a few Domaines des Deux Ânes (a sentimental purchase, I visited ten years or so ago) and some Clos Perdus (as yet untried, but I know eternumviti knows their stuff so I’ll let him comment if he wants!) I don’t know the two you mention personally, but if they were mine I’d probably give them at least another year.

Thanks for the info,I'll look into those you mention.These wines I think can have longevity.Worth imho looking at Cave de Castelmaure.

Well I've tried most of the wine that I bought from Portugal vineyards, I'm really enjoying them.

Here's a list there's also one euro per bottle postage.

Seixedo Reserve Red 2015 @ 5,45 €

Marthas Douro DOC Red 2015 (love this) @ 3,95 €

Mariposa Red 2015 (very good) @ 6,25 €

Montefino Reserve Red 2011 (not tried this one yet) @ 7,85 €

Magnum Grão Vasco Dão Red 2018 2 @ 7,65 € 15,30 € (excellent)

Vidigal Porta 6 Sparkling @ 4,35 € (excellent too) you can buy this in one of the Calais wine hypermarkets for €3 plus postage to the UK but I've seen it being sold for about €9

Tony

I gave in to temptation.Pretty cheap delivery fees as you say.Probably too late to refer each other now!
After a lot of google searching I went for a case of sparkling wines.

QdoE Rosé Sparkling
QdoE Brut White Sparkling
Castas de Monção Reserve Sparkling 2015
Filipa Pato 3B Rosé Sparkling
Filipa Pato 3B Blanc De Blancs Sparkling
Luis Pato Informal Sparkling 2014
Marquês de Marialva Blanc de Blancs Brut Sparkling
Quinta do Poço do Lobo Arinto Chardonnay Sparkling 2016
Marquês de Marialva Baga Rosé Sparkling
Campolargo White Sparkling 2014

One of the joys of this thread is to forget about Covid for a while.
However I just remembered that it may be presumptuous to talk of waiting a year or two to start drinking a wine. Let us hope not.
But it is a wake up call, for me at least, to stop buying wines that require years to be ready to drink. So no 'bargain' 2019 French red wines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back