advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite. Or any bottle of anything in my case.

You are spookily correct with the price (before delivery) but it was Chinon (Sourdais, see above.) I don't agree with cheap and cheerful, although I suppose that's a value judgment - it should and can hit spots other wines can't, but I wouldn't go much above a tenner. Sunshine obviously helps.

A perfect picnic colour. We go above a tenner for white and red when the sirens beckon, however reluctantly ;).

Last edited:
Yes, they are quite good fun to use once you have the knack - this sort of thing should be fine.
Another good reason for using a Butler’s Friend type corkscrew - you can ram the cork back in and keep the bottle horizontal in the cooler overnight safe in the knowledge that a glassful won’t leak out. He grumbled, after mopping up.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Another good reason for using a Butler’s Friend type corkscrew - you can ram the cork back in and keep the bottle horizontal in the cooler overnight safe in the knowledge that a glassful won’t leak out. He grumbled, after mopping up.

I knew that little cooler purchase would end badly.
If it was Musar commiserations.

Ah, well done. I did try to help and had a look myself, but drew a blank.
EV suggested I look via Vivino, and that pointed me to Yapp Bros, and a few days later, a case arrived. I got three Rose, two of the red which we also enjoyed greatly when on holiday, and one of the white, to try.

EV suggested I look via Vivino, and that pointed me to Yapp Bros, and a few days later, a case arrived. I got three Rose, two of the red which we also enjoyed greatly when on holiday, and one of the white, to try.
So you don’t fancy ‘trading up’ from WA to Rock Angel?

What's the thoughts on Corbieres
I acquired some Ch.Fontareche 2018
as well as one bott.no3 Castelmaure 2018
When to drink these.The later is in wacko's
territory at 22 ducats.

Ha! Soon to be known as Rock sodding Angel, perhaps?
Time will tell...

Please post your thoughts. I for one would be very interested. Ignore those rosé deniers, they don’t know what they are missing.

What do we want?
Rosé!
When do we want it?
Rosé!

(That’s one for fellow Futurama lovers.)

Do you think TonyL will consider a change of name to 'rosé fish media' ? At least for the summer months.
Lego Marchbanks has already made the switch, as you can see. More Tavel than WBA or RSA from the colour. I’m not sure where he bought rosé in a green bottle, though. And he’s not telling.

Well I've tried most of the wine that I bought from Portugal vineyards, I'm really enjoying them.

Here's a list there's also one euro per bottle postage.

Seixedo Reserve Red 2015 @ 5,45 €

Marthas Douro DOC Red 2015 (love this) @ 3,95 €

Mariposa Red 2015 (very good) @ 6,25 €

Montefino Reserve Red 2011 (not tried this one yet) @ 7,85 €

Magnum Grão Vasco Dão Red 2018 2 @ 7,65 € 15,30 € (excellent)

Vidigal Porta 6 Sparkling @ 4,35 € (excellent too) you can buy this in one of the Calais wine hypermarkets for €3 plus postage to the UK but I've seen it being sold for about €9

Tony

^^^ Cheapskate :), with quality and value. will try some of these, nice one Tony.

Have you tried any white, or port from them.

Time will tell...

Please post your thoughts. I for one would be very interested. Ignore those rosé deniers, they don’t know what they are missing.

What do we want?
Rosé!
When do we want it?
Rosé!

(That’s one for fellow Futurama lovers.)
Really enjoyed the first bottle but didn’t make any notes, sorry. But my impression is that it has more about it than WA. If I’d class WA as elegant and perhaps a bit polite, the Canorgues has more upfront flavour and character - an evening with people you really like, rather than the WA’s carefully managed dinner party.

What's the thoughts on Corbieres
I acquired some Ch.Fontareche 2018
as well as one bott.no3 Castelmaure 2018
When to drink these.The later is in wacko's
territory at 22 ducats.
I like Corbières a lot. I don’t have much at the moment, just a few Domaines des Deux Ânes (a sentimental purchase, I visited ten years or so ago) and some Clos Perdus (as yet untried, but I know eternumviti knows their stuff so I’ll let him comment if he wants!) I don’t know the two you mention personally, but if they were mine I’d probably give them at least another year.

Well I've tried most of the wine that I bought from Portugal vineyards, I'm really enjoying them.

Here's a list there's also one euro per bottle postage.
Seixedo Reserve Red 2015 @ 5,45 €
Marthas Douro DOC Red 2015 (love this) @ 3,95 €
Mariposa Red 2015 (very good) @ 6,25 €
Montefino Reserve Red 2011 (not tried this one yet) @ 7,85 €
Magnum Grão Vasco Dão Red 2018 2 @ 7,65 € 15,30 € (excellent)
Vidigal Porta 6 Sparkling @ 4,35 € (excellent too) you can buy this in one of the Calais wine hypermarkets for €3 plus postage to the UK but I've seen it being sold for about €9

Tony

I know nothing about Portuguese wines so on a holiday there I let the restaurants choose the wines we drank: I remember liking all of them but didn't keep the names. They were certainly good value.

^^^ Cheapskate :), with quality and value. will try some of these, nice one Tony.

Have you tried any white, or port from them.

Hi Chris, I bought a couple of bottles of white wine with the last order but that was mainly bought for cooking sauces (my son’s a chef) but they were okay and very cheap less than two euros a bottle.

I bought a 2000 vintage port with the latest order but I’m keeping that until Christmas at least cost 40 euros plus one euro postage so a no brainer as it would have cost nearer 50 euros to buy it on its own and have it posted.

The 2000 year is meant to be a great vintage so I thought I’d treat myself to a more affordable bottle some of the producers ports are pretty expensive at well over 150 euros a bottle.

https://vintageportsite.com/about-vintage-port/purchasing-vintage-port

Last edited:
I know nothing about Portuguese wines so on a holiday there I let the restaurants choose the wines we drank: I remember liking all of them but didn't keep the names. They were certainly good value.

The big problem with Portuguese wine is that there’s so much of it plus they don’t use ‘normal’ grapes for wine production and there’s about six wine different areas so I stuck to 2015 mainly and DAO, Tres Montan (SP) and the Douro and I tried to buy some red wines with port grapes or grapes they use to make port ie touriga nacional etc.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/guides-wine-regions-portugal

We have been whispering too loud: Vivino now invites me to buy the 'delightful little sister' of WBA named The Palm for a bargain £13.75. I'm sending a case to EV :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back