advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of the denizens of this corner of PFM done the WSET courses as a non-professional? Is it worth it at all?
Please let me know if it would be better to move this elsewhere.

As we begin the run down to Marchbanks favourite day, and it becomes clearer that limited gatherings will be allowed, what wines are we planning to sozzle ourselves with ?
I'm starting with good English Nyetimber bubbly but after that not sure. Will try to remember to open one of those little desert wines at the end though.

Both tops.

Agree, but I hope that the Greywacke is less than the Majestic price. I would also try the Coney PN from Majestic - Made by Jeremy Coney's (ex NZ cricket captain) brother. He's as mad as a box of frogs but a great guy and his wines seem rather under appreciated.

As we begin the run down to Marchbanks favourite day, and it becomes clearer that limited gatherings will be allowed, what wines are we planning to sozzle ourselves with ?
I'm starting with good English Nyetimber bubbly but after that not sure. Will try to remember to open one of those little desert wines at the end though.
start with

480557_a_bird-in-hand-sparkling-pinot-noir-480557

then prob that Beaujolais if I get it.
Keep it light and jolly.

Agree, but I hope that the Greywacke is less than the Majestic price. I would also try the Coney PN from Majestic - Made by Jeremy Coney's (ex NZ cricket captain) brother. He's as mad as a box of frogs but a great guy and his wines seem rather under appreciated.
Thank you Simon. I went for three Dog Point which cost me £22.25 and - following your suggestion - three Coney for £14.40, all from Majestic. Together with the ABC from yesterday that will do for PN.

If anyone wants to go for the Greywacke 2014 it’s here in Cambridgeshire for £20, plus a tenner postage under 12 bottles.

As it looks like France will be open again shortly I’ll turn my attention back across the channel. Bertrand hasn’t got back to me regarding the Brun Beaujolais Ronsay, so it looks like plan B - l’Ancien (10€) and Brouilly (12.50€). Add some Domaine des Forges Coteaux du Layon les Onnis and a few crates of Rochefort and that will do.

Then all I have to do on my return will be to move the wine cooler and the Tannoys into my bedroom and I can have a glorious quarantined C*******s!

I've a friend living alone who enjoys wine, but not a whole bottle in one sitting. The Vacuvin seems to lose its pressure over 24 hours. Have any of you wine buffs tried an eto wine preserver? It's expensive, but as it's in my Christmas present price range value for money doesn't matter. I'm interested in how effective it is.

50645576003_69b3bc7159_z.jpg

BTC3 recommended the Clos de Gat Chardonnay to me, which I have mentioned before. But this is the first bottle I’ve tried of the Syrah bought at the same time (August 2019.) And it’s lovely, with a decent amount of fruit and a little acidic tang at the sides of the tongue. I see this cost me £14 - you would be hard-pressed to find a Crozes-Hermitage to touch it at that price.

Always a good reason,have I got enough of this.
How was it?

A baby Nebbiolo but a food wine all the same. It got better the more air it got so it probably needed a bit more time. Wouldn't buy just any year but 2016 was a great vintage in Piedmont too so will probably get a few more of this or Vajra.
Btw China extends the bullying of Australia to 200% duty on Australian wines: should be a good time to buy Aussie wine.

Last edited:
Chicken tonight so a chardonnay: predictable I know. My last Catena Alta Historic Rows. Made the mistake of keeping them too long once before...no such problem now: fresh as a daisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back