advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011. I've tried a couple late last year (Christmas, in fact!), but decided to leave it for a little longer. Maybe time to sample it again.
Should be at its peak over the next couple of years by all accounts. Pre-phylloxera, wow, that’s pretty damned Vieille... don’t think I have ever knowingly tasted a pre-phylloxera wine.

Last edited:
This has been the year of discovering white wine for me, mostly Sicilian, some Spanish and Italian. Really enjoying these young wines for lunch, food pairing is the key for me, get it right and it works a treat.

Gigondas, L'Argnée, Vieilles Vignes (Cotes du Rhone Villages)

Impressive first reveal on this thread !
I've not had it either. Seems about same price as Beaucastel. Have you had a chance to compare them ?
Should be a very nice Xmas wine and last a few more years.

This has been the year of discovering white wine for me, mostly Sicilian, some Spanish and Italian. Really enjoying these young wines for lunch, food pairing is the key for me, get it right and it works a treat.

I've found Italian whites quite tricky (but then so are their reds): what have you liked ?

I've found Italian whites quite tricky (but then so are their reds): what have you liked ?

Sicilian favourites so far, Terra di Nonno Vermintino, Nostru Catarratto, Borgo Thaulero, Collezione di Paolo Bianco Vergine, and several Sauvignon Blancs.
Spanish mainly Rioja Blanco, Verdejo and the winner is Unsi Blanco Garnacha.several Albarinos and Pecorini
Italian Grillo Rupe Secca, Canaletto Pinot Grigio.

Also a few from Chile have been excellent. Sometimes I have selected a wine that did not work for us, not the wines fault as with other food they were good.
We are reasonably varied with our food, mostly home made, have had stuffed courgette flowers, pickled veg and salads, flat breads etc.
We are really enjoying these summer lunches.

We buy mainly from Averys, Waitrose sales, and a few other smaller outlets. We have a deli close and they have a good selection, plus a few dealers who mainly supply restuarants.

Last edited:
Impressive first reveal on this thread !
I've not had it either. Seems about same price as Beaucastel. Have you had a chance to compare them ?

No; I don't go in for comparisons much, mainly because my 'taste' memory is so poor I can't remember from one bottle to another!

No; I don't go in for comparisons much, mainly because my 'taste' memory is so poor I can't remember from one bottle to another!

I am the same. I can remember if I liked something or not but not much more. I would have to taste them at the same time. In the case of those two that would be pretty extravagant. Perhaps an Xmas meal would be a good excuse...

Only two wines have really stuck in my mind, both from some years ago (as I'd never buy at today's prices). One was Chateau Gloria, a St Julien Bordeaux; the other was a Burgundy, Gevrey-Chambertin, Domaine des Perdrix. I'd only bought a couple of bottles of each, unfortunately!

You both need a pencil and notebook :)

I keep a log, I have two wine fridges on different floors and racks in the garage for the younger non keeper wines. I list where they are, year, alcohol content, country of origin a brief description and lastly I grade the wine, that is the only way I would remember. The ones in the rack I merely comment on the invoice if I want to re-order.

I keep a log, I have two wine fridges on different floors and racks in the garage for the younger non keeper wines. I list where they are, year, alcohol content, country of origin a brief description and lastly I grade the wine, that is the only way I would remember. The ones in the rack I merely comment on the invoice if I want to re-order.

Have a look at Cellartracker.

Why alcohol content?

Have a look at Cellartracker.

We have been there before. Wine reviews as with music, is of no interet to me. I prefer to find out myself. When trying a new wine to me I usually buy in single bottles, if I like I buy more. Sometimes I miss the boat, but there is always others to try. Wine and music very similar to me, lots of it, spoilt for choice.

Or you could post your thoughts here and use the search facility whenever you need to know what you thought of a wine. That way I don’t you won’t keep losing your pencil and notebook.

I do refer to here, it has been most helpful. Fair enough, I will post on some of the wines I have enjoyed.

Why alcohol content?

4 or 5 days a week we have wine for lunch, and I always do a little graft in the afternoons, so a 14.5% lunchtime bevvy may rock my boat.
Also, I find it difficult to go from a high alcohol content to a lower one when the occasion arises.

That would be as John Shuttleworth sings, 'I can't go back to savouries now.'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back