advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the first case this afternoon but was in a margarita mood this evening. Will test some over the next week or so.

In case you were interested (do you see what I said there?) I can report that the Naked wines were OK. Perfectly acceptable but not enough to commit to full on fanboi ism. I cancelled the subscription. My local wine dealer is pretty similar on general pricing and I can taste first and his Spanish reds are better.

2019 Rock Angel is a suave and centred wine and while it retains some of the frivolity of Whispering Angel, with tender moments and hypnotic pink grapefruit and melon tones, it has depth, tonality and, crucially, a long, dry and masterful, finish. I would wager that most wine-keen folk, who happily bathe in Whispering without really giving it a second thought, would fall off their sunbeds if they tasted this wine and found out that they could trade up for less than a tenner.”

Priced at a few pounds more expensive than Whispering Angel, Rock Angel is a very different proposition to its superstar stablemate. If Whispering caresses the palate in an alluring, comehither manner, Rock aims squarely at your heart and unleashes a direct onslaught of emotional flavour. Indeed it rocks the foundations of your olfactory system. In this regard, it is far more aligned with the two Grands Crus in the Lichine portfolio, Les Clans and Garrus, but given that these two pioneering wines retail for approximately £55 and £95, respectively, you will sense that I find Rock Angel a very inviting proposition indeed, not least from a rapport qualité prix perspective.

In the absence of a marketing bollocks thread, I hope you don't mind me posting this here as an example of why I loathe sales blurbs for wine - and I say this as someone who gets paid to come up with marketing bollocks for a living. I guess the wine could be quite nice, but after reading this I can't face the idea of buying some to try...

...Indeed it rocks the foundations of your olfactory system.
I’m told this applies to me as well. But not in a good way.

I bet eternumviti could find someone who could be persuaded to change - sorry, I mean trade up - from his usual tipple to a box or two of Rock Angel.

Last edited:
30 quid is likely to be beyond the pale. Both literally and etc...

I was piling some magnums of the far more interesting Chateau Roubine into a client's cellar this week, and he emerged with a couple of magnums each of Les Clans and Garrus. He'd kept them too long and they'd 'gone over'. I weaned him from an addiction to l'Esclans/Whispering Angel a couple of years ago. He won't touch the stuff now.

^ I didn't know there are any rosé wines at £95. Mad. I have always thought Dom Ott pricing was OTT enough.
Or Grand Crus from Provence. Is that status self-awarded ?
If you have to spend £95 on a rosé at least get one with bubbles.

Or a posh bottle.
10104523.jpg

Bought Naked wines a couple of years ago but got fed up with quality/pricing and the pathetic emails stating what a struggle this has been for the vintner and against all the odds. One got to me so I replied that if we are angels then you must be a god of some sort, so presuming you are fair and just I presume you are giving this fellah over and above what he asked for the wine. No response as such.

Tis utter bollocks,

I tend to use Avery's, Waitrose when discounted and independent ones for specific purchases.

^ I didn't know there are any rosé wines at £95. Mad. I have always thought Dom Ott pricing was OTT enough.
Is this a good time to say I now have as many bottles of French rosé (15) as all bottles from Australia (11), South Africa (4) and NZ (0) combined?

I thought not. I’ll leave my name in the bin on the way out.

I wouldn't spend 95 quid on any bottle of wine.

Grand Cru is a thing in Provence.

Is this a good time to say I now have as many bottles of French rosé (15) as all bottles from Australia (11), South Africa (4) and NZ (0) combined?

I thought not. I’ll leave my name in the bin on the way out.

You probably got a lovely Provence rosé for €5.80 a bottle. Rosé should be cheap and cheerful and drunk at lunchtime. Preferably in sunshine.

Grand Cru is a thing in Provence.

Ha but they did it in 1955 not 1855. Probably thought nobody would notice the single digit difference.
And of the original 23 estates 5 don't even bother making wine any more. Can't see that happening in Bordeaux/Burgundy !

Quite. Or any bottle of anything in my case.
You probably got a lovely Provence rosé for €5.80 a bottle. Rosé should be cheap and cheerful and drunk at lunchtime. Preferably in sunshine.
You are spookily correct with the price (before delivery) but it was Chinon (Sourdais, see above.) I don't agree with cheap and cheerful, although I suppose that's a value judgment - it should and can hit spots other wines can't, but I wouldn't go much above a tenner. Sunshine obviously helps. I don't drink at lunchtime as a rule, but next week I am meeting an old pal for a stroll round a Herefordshire castle. After that we will be picnicking with... rosé! Watch this space (if it turns out to be any good.)

Mr Wacko, are you back in the UK? Your post timings suggest you might be.

I've just bought some Tavel rosé 2019 Guigal
and the previously mentioned
Cerasualo d'Abruzzo if there is such a
thing as a substantial rosé then I
would suggest these are.

Do you subscribe to Jeb Dunnuck?

I'm put right off by his photographic portrait on his website. It makes him look like he fancies himself some. Should I say that?

Do you subscribe to Jeb Dunnuck?

I'm put right off by his photographic portrait on his website. It makes him look like he fancies himself some. Should I say that?
Me? No, I wouldn’t subscribe to any of the drink-by-numbers types on principle. I have never seen his website and certainly won’t look now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back