advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the suggestions. About the only one that I possess is Pinot Gris, but as I had a bottle from Sorg a couple of nights ago I’ll probably forgo wine with the haddock then pair something with the music and bread and cheese. I had rather fancied some rosé, but the chilly snap is making me think twice - especially as the new, improved, 10%-lighter-than-before Marchbanks is finding it bloody cold with reduced insulation levels. I’ll bung some buffalo tomatoes in the tabbouleh, though, if Morrisons have any.

^^Nice present but not the best vintage. Looks like it has been stored well but drink soon.
I have the 2010 of their second wine but haven't tried any yet.

I'd expect it to be lovely, and at its peak. I'd be willing to bet its a more pleasurable drink than that 2000 Lynch-Bages I had a while back. 'Off' vintages can offer a lot of pleasure at this level, given that standards of viticulture and windmaking nowadays.

And then there is the third option of a second wine in a really terrible vintage. But only if they cancel the first wine !

The last time I tried this I was met with a resounding silence, but he who fails to learn from his mistakes etc. etc. - some of you have access to my CT account, so what should I drink tomorrow with plain pan-fried haddock, tabbouleh and dressed salad leaves? I’m lacking inspiration.

(If anyone else wants to peer virtually into the ancestral cellars - by all means... send me a message.)

Have you got a Fleurie/Morgon that you could drink cool, to go with that menu? I know you prefer less dry, so my initial suggestion of something like Albarino or Txakoli might not work, so a light red (a Swiss blauburgunder comes to mind), might work as a midway point?

Katie suggested a young, frivolous Chianti. She also suggested riesling, but wasn't specific as to frivolity.

I'd expect it to be lovely, and at its peak. I'd be willing to bet its a more pleasurable drink than that 2000 Lynch-Bages I had a while back. 'Off' vintages can offer a lot of pleasure at this level, given that standards of viticulture and windmaking nowadays.

Bloody phone. It obviously regards 'windmaking' as a thing, and one to be dicussed openly on a hi-fi forum.

Bloody phone. It obviously regards 'windmaking' as a thing, and one to be dicussed openly on a hi-fi forum.
My level of windmaking is certainly increasing with age, although I can't really pass comment on the quality.

Thanks to Katie and Mr 3 for their suggestions. Sadly no Chianti though, frivolous or otherwise. Although I'm not at home and currently in rubber gloves, shoe coverings and mask waiting for the result of a lateral flow test I can just about make out CT on my phone through steamed-up specs... Sunier Fleurie 2018 might be good - would be the first bottle too.

Trying to type on a phone whilst wearing latex gloves is my new definition of hell.

10% off with code HOLIDAY10 at Vivino -- and I got free shipping too, though I don't know whether that applies to all vendors.

Hi All. Don't know if this is a wine elitist thread were people can't drink cheap plonk but I am trying very hard to find some go to reliable regulars that I can always fall back on, cheaper the better really.

Only tried 'good wine' a few times. I had a friend who was into it and some of the ones he gave me were beautiful I have to say, but they may have been in excess off £30 a bottle iirc. The Farms or something perhaps was one if I remember right, it was a real heavy full bodied red, possibly the best I've tasted that. Then I had another mate in Spain who took me around there and introduced me to various Rioja's those were very nice as well.

Any way back to the real world. I've tried a few of the lidl ones and their red Merlot with the Lama on the front isn't bad, and their Chianti probably being the best. I don't half get groggy after drinking those wines though. I know perhaps I shouldn't drink so much but is this down to them being cheap perhaps?

Also a lot of the whites I've tried have been sulphury, and the same thing with those, it don't half block my sinus up a bit and just makes me feel again a bit groggy, chemicals perhaps? I don't know.

Anyway, I'm not giving up as I enjoy an occasional wine. Any good cheapies around perhaps that are usually plentiful wherever you go type of thing? and from local minimarkets or wherever. Would be very grateful for any advice.

Hi All. Don't know if this is a wine elitist thread were people can't drink cheap plonk but I am trying very hard to find some go to reliable regulars that I can always fall back on, cheaper the better really.
Would be very grateful for any advice.
Aldi? https://www.decanter.com/decanter-best/aldi-wines-336761/
http://www.thedrinker.co.uk/aldi.html

We shop at Sainsbury's and I tend to cast my net a bit further up the price range during their regular 25% off if you buy >6.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/1000-stories-bourbon-aged-zinfandel-75cl
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...t-californian-white-taste-the-difference-75cl

Katie suggested a young, frivolous Chianti. She also suggested riesling, but wasn't specific as to frivolity.

You are just trying to wind at least one old windmaker up. Successfully.
Chicken tonight. Predictable as always that means chardonnay to me. And I just happen to have one bottle of Felton Road Block 6 lurking about...
edit think I'm going to open it early.
edit edit Tasted. This is going to be one of those evenings when it will be difficult to be sensible.

I hope it’s neither elitist or reverse-elitist (equally short-sighted IMO.) Eternumviti is known to be a dab-hand with a bazooka, and he keeps us all in check.

If you have a Tesco clubcard you can get Guigal CdR for £9 this weekend as part of a six-bottle haul. There are other wines with a similar offer too.

Err, Flocking heck, i'm down to one Riedel Bordeaux glass. The last one fell apart in my hands tonight. I'll have to go to John Lewis tomorrow. Nightmare. At least I won't bump into that Carrie Antoinette on my travels.
If you are looking at the Performance series, you can get six from Nisbets for the price of four elsewhere.

Last edited:
In the end I decided I was being even more of a boring old fart than usual, being reluctant to leave my comfort zone. So I took a recommendation for this Assyrtiko (still have to look at the bottle to get the grape name right, I keep drifting into epic poems about coming down like the wolf on the fold) from the Decanter/Aldi link above. This was £6.99 and it’s pretty good. It’s only 10% SB which surprises me - I would have guessed mostly SB with some Viognier if I had been asked. Certainly less dry than I had imagined it would be. It’s not a million miles from the Saint Bris I had originally thought about drinking tonight, which cost me much the same in France. But at least I have now tried (takes run at it) Assyrtiko.

Went very well with the haddock, and also Bill Frisell’s Where In the World and Guitar In the Space Age records.

51149119036_4564b82c15_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back