advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pre-empting once again being nominated as the Christmas wine provider, things being what they are this year I'd like to use nectar points rather than put my hand in my pocket so does anyone have some suggestions from Sainsbury's?

Looking for a red - maybe two, a white and a prosecco. As usual not a clue!

Excellent thanks. We're not big drinkers, I bought 6 last year and brought 4 home with me. I haven't bought any since then so I've no idea what I should be looking at. Budget wise, I think I have about £65 of nectar points but £10-15 a bottle range, obviously less for Prosecco as it's only like fizzy pop and it isn't for me :D

IMG-0365.jpg

Lopez de Heredia Viña Bosconia Reserva 2011.

Day 1 - undrinkable. I knew it would be, but I gingerly took a sip to check. A splashy combination of oak and vinegar.

Day 2. Drinkable but no cigar. I had a half glass and it was fine, or rather it would have been fine in a sawdust restaurant with oyster shells, as the poet said.

Day 3 (today) - totally delicious! Full of character, fruit - but the fruit is sour cherries really, there’s a saline quality too which is really intriguing. It’s mostly polished off, there may be a glass and a half for tomorrow. You see it here duly vacuvined away - though in fact oxygen is what it may need!

So now I want a case of it of course. But that’s no problem.

Excellent thanks. We're not big drinkers, I bought 6 last year and brought 4 home with me. I haven't bought any since then so I've no idea what I should be looking at. Budget wise, I think I have about £65 of nectar points but £10-15 a bottle range, obviously less for Prosecco as it's only like fizzy pop and it isn't for me :D
I don't know your taste but looking in my cellar book for recent wines from Sainsbury's this TTD Old Vine Garnacha 2020 got a "buy again" rating with this note: "Remarkable after a 1.5 hour decant".

For the price (£10.50 but currently discounted to £9) it punched well above its weight (to my taste anyway). The October 2021 Decanter review of the 2019 is positive ("Cracking value for money") if you choose to believe their opinion. I have just added a bottle to a purchase this morning to see if I still agree with my earlier opinion when I can get round to trying it again.

Thanks. Interested to try this after being bothered by one of those, oh, you must buy this ( diff year obvs) , 'the perfect collaboration', in bond etc, etc, etc, emails.
https://www.waitrosecellar.com/excl...vQKi1dYcRDn2MtTaIkxoC3x4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Petit Caro, Lafite and Catena
A perfect match of two grapes and two culture
A wine that combines the Catena family's knowledge of Argentinian Malbec with Domaines Barons de Rothschild Lafite's experience in producing great Cabernet Sauvignon. Enjoy notes of red cherries and figs, and hints of cloves and spices. £19.49.

Thanks. Interested to try this after being bothered by one of those, oh, you must buy this ( diff year obvs) , 'the perfect collaboration', in bond etc, etc, etc, emails.
https://www.waitrosecellar.com/excl...vQKi1dYcRDn2MtTaIkxoC3x4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Petit Caro, Lafite and Catena
A perfect match of two grapes and two culture
A wine that combines the Catena family's knowledge of Argentinian Malbec with Domaines Barons de Rothschild Lafite's experience in producing great Cabernet Sauvignon. Enjoy notes of red cherries and figs, and hints of cloves and spices. £19.49.
It’ll be interesting to read your views. I hope you enjoy it more than I did!

Oh this could be interesting! I liked the £13 Catena Malbec but didn't notice a discernible difference in quality between that and the Catena Alta at £30. Seem to recall you had a similar observation.

Oh this could be interesting! I liked the £13 Catena Malbec but didn't notice a discernible difference in quality between that and the Catena Alta at £30. Seem to recall you had a similar observation.

The Catena to try, IMO, is this

https://www.ocado.com/products/catena-alta-chardonnay-2019-578063011

But it's worth saying that that also seems variable -- from oustanding to meh -- and I really wonder whether Catena have problems guaranteeing consistency of their products.

The Catena to try, IMO, is this

https://www.ocado.com/products/catena-alta-chardonnay-2019-578063011

But it's worth saying that that also seems variable -- from oustanding to meh -- and I really wonder whether Catena have problems guaranteeing consistency of their products.
I’m rather partial to the cheapo version of that. “Must buy more” said my note from a month ago. Seems like this is the week to do so, although my last lot cost me only £7.86 each. Whatever happened to Waitrose loyalty vouchers?

IMG-0911.jpg

Two Lopez de Heredia wines - Tondonia 2008 (opened today) and Bosconia 2011 (opened 4 days ago)

Both outstanding, Tondonia was ready from the get go and is obviously a very refined and elegant glass of booze. The Bosconia needed a couple of days to come into its own. Bosconia is apparently a Spanish word for Burgundy wine - this wine was modelled on Burgundies. And indeed, after a couple of days, once the oak had blended into the flavours more subtly, I could absolutely see that.

Tondonia is too expensive for me I think, but if I were richer I would certainly buy a case or two. I can allow myself Bosconia more comfortably, and I’m happy to settle with that.

There’s another Lopez de Heredia red which I’m itching to try - viña cubillo. Selfridges online say they have some older bottles, but I don’t trust them and they don’t pick up the phone, the bastards. Next time I pass I’ll check, Sunday probably.

Tondonia white is one of my favourite wines. Selfridges usually have it.

Yes I understand that, but I urge you to try an old Bosconia which has been left to breath for a couple of days. I'm not sure I don't prefer it to Tondonia in fact. It doesn't have Tondonia's elegance but it is more complex, more characterful and there's a taste of the farmyard which really is redolent of Burgundy wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back