advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picture framing is probably the sweariest DIY activity I know, and indeed this afternoon I have sworn not to do any more until I have bought a mount cutter that is less prone to causing errors than my entry-level hand-held job. But even though I can see all my mistakes, I’m more annoyed by the printers not using the same fonts on both... never mind, now I won’t have an excuse if I confuse Madera with Madiran and I can bore folk to death with Wine Facts - ‘Ah yes, Fresno County. Of course, 5% of the white wine grapes grown there are Burger...’

51143631542_bdca15a941_c.jpg

Picture framing is probably the sweariest DIY activity I know, and indeed this afternoon I have sworn not to do any more until I have bought a mount cutter that is less prone to causing errors than my entry-level hand-held job. But even though I can see all my mistakes, I’m more annoyed by the printers not using the same fonts on both... never mind, now I won’t have an excuse if I confuse Madera with Madiran and I can bore folk to death with Wine Facts - ‘Ah yes, Fresno County. Of course, 5% of the white wine grapes grown there are Burger...’

51143631542_bdca15a941_c.jpg
Is this the start of the annual renovations?
Who paid the initial invoice?

^ that is an unusual conclusion.

Not sure what to say surprised but definitely the
Village much more vibrant and balanced ,I get the subtlety and fragrance of the Estate but just not as good imho.The Village is definitely more like what
I expect from white Burgundy.
I'm glad I got four Village.

The Estate may take a year or two longer to show it's best. But they are both good value. Need to buy some more soon myself.

The Estate may take a year or two longer to show it's best. But they are both good value. Need to buy some more soon myself.

Both good as you say actually getting more into the Estate.
At the wine society price the Village seems a bit of a bargain.

The last time I tried this I was met with a resounding silence, but he who fails to learn from his mistakes etc. etc. - some of you have access to my CT account, so what should I drink tomorrow with plain pan-fried haddock, tabbouleh and dressed salad leaves? I’m lacking inspiration.

(If anyone else wants to peer virtually into the ancestral cellars - by all means... send me a message.)

The last time I tried this I was met with a resounding silence, but he who fails to learn from his mistakes etc. etc. - some of you have access to my CT account, so what should I drink tomorrow with plain pan-fried haddock, tabbouleh and dressed salad leaves? I’m lacking inspiration.

(If anyone else wants to peer virtually into the ancestral cellars - by all means... send me a message.)

It's May day soon can I join the serfs to drink from
the spittoon?

Your Sancerre ? Or one of your Pinot Gris ?

Tio Pepe.

Your Sancerre ? Or one of your Pinot Gris ?

OK. I'm on the same wavelength. The trouble is that, in the often immortal words of Hugh Johnston, vinegar spells death to wine. He says it turns the wine to vinegar in your mouth, but I'm drinking a lovely organic simple Muscadet Sur Lie with black bream baked (steamed in tin foil with more Muscadet) with green pesto, lots of other herbs, chilli, tomatoes, garlic and olive oil, black pepper etc, with Guernsey Royals and a mixed green, rocket, coriander and buffalo tomato salad dressed with white balsamic and olive oil, and I'm completely out of breath.

... oh, yes, and the Muscadet is coping well. It staggers a little at the first hit, there's a brief shock of bitterness as the fruit gets masked, but then it comes back fighting.

I'd give serious Pinot Grigio from Alto Adige a shot, Roussanne/Marsanne or a white southern Rhone, Picpoul, white Minervois, Rolle, something white and Corsican. Gruner maybe, Albarino too. It either needs acid energy or oiliness.

Martin's Lane from the Crouch Valley in Essex. Chardonnay, Pinot Gris (and Grigio, different clones) and Pinot Noir, the latter vinified as a very good still white (Blanc de noirs) and as of last year, a red.

Due to the nature of the slopes and the ameliorating effects of the estuary, they don't get frosted. As a result of this, and the overall quality of the fruit, they have sparkling wine producers from the south downs and beyond queuing at the door for fruit.

Not many realise that not insignificant amounts of the fruit for such award winners as Camel Valley in Cornwall comes from Essex!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back